Hello, names Mitch from Maryland. Just got my first subaru which i've longed for...well forever. I bought a 2002 wrx.. picked it up for $500 bucks needs some body work. Car was throwing 6 cel codes....WAS... until after I purchased it researched and learned about the GREEN TEST PLUG under the coin tray area. I unplugged the test/ flash plug and now there is only 1 CEL being thrown, which is a o2 sensor code. (I have 2 new o2 senosrs on the way: oem Denso's)
Since buying the car I have invested in a turbosmart kompact plum back BOV due to the fact the previous owner had a cheap ebay BOV that leaked severly... Which is why I had thought the car was not producing boost since then I have found that the turbo is not boosting at allllll ??!? So I will being pulling that off here sometime in the next couple days. I am however worried due to this clanking/clunking noise coming from the turbo/ turbo area. I read that the up-pipe cat can break appart and get sucked into the turbo. I am really hoping that the turbo is not blown or screwed up. I really dont want to have to buy a new turbo for it already. Oh and the engine seems to me to be running great other than it is slow due to no boost
So my questions for ANYONE are:
1. What should I be looking for other than taking the turbo off and inspecting it to fix the no boost problem?
2. If the turbo has sucked up some of the cat is it possible the turbo is still fine ? has anyone had this happen to them and their turbo was fine ?
3. If the turbo is bad and or the internals are messed up is it fixable ?
4. If the turbo is unable to be fixed where can I either find a CHEAP oem replacement used or new.....OR if there are maybe a decent cheap turbo upgrade that will not break the bank completely ( I know any sort of upgraded turbo will cost me hundreds of bucks, what will be the best bang for my buck I would ideally like to spend as least as possible for now.
5. Is it possible that there is no boost due to the o2 sensor being thrown? I figure that wouldn't cause no boost but figured I would ask
Any replies and advice will be greatly appreciated.