HELLO ! NOOBY ON THE BLOCK. ALSO SOME QUESTIONS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on HELLO ! NOOBY ON THE BLOCK. ALSO SOME QUESTIONS within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello, names Mitch from Maryland. Just got my first subaru which i've longed for...well forever. I bought a 2002 wrx.. ...

Smile HELLO ! NOOBY ON THE BLOCK. ALSO SOME QUESTIONS

Hello, names Mitch from Maryland. Just got my first subaru which i've longed for...well forever. I bought a 2002 wrx.. picked it up for $500 bucks needs some body work. Car was throwing 6 cel codes....WAS... until after I purchased it researched and learned about the GREEN TEST PLUG under the coin tray area. I unplugged the test/ flash plug and now there is only 1 CEL being thrown, which is a o2 sensor code. (I have 2 new o2 senosrs on the way: oem Denso's)
    Since buying the car I have invested in a turbosmart kompact plum back BOV due to the fact the previous owner had a cheap ebay BOV that leaked severly... Which is why I had thought the car was not producing boost since then I have found that the turbo is not boosting at allllll ??!? So I will being pulling that off here sometime in the next couple days. I am however worried due to this clanking/clunking noise coming from the turbo/ turbo area. I read that the up-pipe cat can break appart and get sucked into the turbo. I am really hoping that the turbo is not blown or screwed up. I really dont want to have to buy a new turbo for it already. Oh and the engine seems to me to be running great other than it is slow due to no boost

So my questions for ANYONE are:

1. What should I be looking for other than taking the turbo off and inspecting it to fix the no boost problem?

2. If the turbo has sucked up some of the cat is it possible the turbo is still fine ? has anyone had this happen to them and their turbo was fine ?

3. If the turbo is bad and or the internals are messed up is it fixable ?

4. If the turbo is unable to be fixed where can I either find a CHEAP oem replacement used or new.....OR if there are maybe a decent cheap turbo upgrade that will not break the bank completely ( I know any sort of upgraded turbo will cost me hundreds of bucks, what will be the best bang for my buck I would ideally like to spend as least as possible for now.

5. Is it possible that there is no boost due to the o2 sensor being thrown? I figure that wouldn't cause no boost but figured I would ask

Any replies and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
    -Mitch
    Last edited by WORD UP; 07-07-2013 at 01:25 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How do you know you aren't boosting at all? What is the exact code? What modifications are on the car?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WORD UP View Post
    4. If the turbo is unable to be fixed where can I either find a CHEAP oem replacement used or new.....OR if there are maybe a decent cheap turbo upgrade that will not break the bank completely ( I know any sort of upgraded turbo will cost me hundreds of bucks, what will be the best bang for my buck I would ideally like to spend as least as possible for now.
    Upon the advice of a fellow member, I recently bought a used one (OEM, TD-04) for only $150 (craigslist) because I needed a spare part off it, and it was cheaper than buying that part alone, new. I hope that helps, or at least gives you some hope.
    -Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

you got it for $500? id part it out and keep the profits
    2013 wrx sedan(saving up for a 2015 STI)

Previous faist cars: '05 Mustang GT '02 RSX-S, '91 SR20 240sx, '85 300zx turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    How do you know you aren't boosting at all? What is the exact code? What modifications are on the car?
    Uhh I dont hear the turbo spooling... but I guess it could be some what ? and I do not know the exact code right now I'm at work.. I will let you know tommorow when I go to take off the turbo. And there are literally no mods on the car... other than the BOV I just put on the car

Uhh I dont think itll be a money pit I think there is something minorly small wrong with it at this point... but the turbo maybe bad which isnt so bad Ill do something with it.

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSea View Post
    you got it for $500? id part it out and keep the profits
    Nah I would rather sell it all together then have to **** with parting it out i've already had 2 people offer me 1500 buck for it... but one was my brother whom is a shister and would renig on what he said in the first place anyway lol.. but we'll see if it doesnt work out so what I dont have much money in it. I can atleast get my money back out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoopster View Post
    Upon the advice of a fellow member, I recently bought a used one (OEM, TD-04) for only $150 (craigslist) because I needed a spare part off it, and it was cheaper than buying that part alone, new. I hope that helps, or at least gives you some hope.
    Thats what i've been looking for but I have had no luck on finding a turbo that will be even usable in the car, But i guess I am getting a little ahead of myself as I dont even know if it truly does need a new turbo or not

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    You should have no problems finding a stock TD04L-13T turbo. Hell I have one sitting in my storage bin. Not for sale, however
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    You should have no problems finding a stock TD04L-13T turbo. Hell I have one sitting in my storage bin. Not for sale, however
    lol yea well if everyones keeping theirs like you then ILLL NEVER FIND ONE lol!!!

Pull the motor and put a LS1 in it.
    ~Dan~ 2011 WRX Limited Stage 2 TP Stinkeye Mob #93

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    If the turbo is broken, It would likely be cheapest just to buy a new one, there are at least 3 td04 turbos floating around NASIOC at any given time all for around $100-150. If turbo is fine, then check the rest of the system. i.e. intercooler cracks, old hoses, hoses not plugged in. Check the ebcs and it's hoses. Is there absolutely no boost?

Codes from the o2 sensor arent always caused by a faulty sensor. If it's telling you it's running lean and o2 sensor is fine you could be looking at vac hose leaks, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, MAF, injectors...*generally speaking. The code number will help a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    If the turbo is broken, It would likely be cheapest just to buy a new one, there are at least 3 td04 turbos floating around NASIOC at any given time all for around $100-150. If turbo is fine, then check the rest of the system. i.e. intercooler cracks, old hoses, hoses not plugged in. Check the ebcs and it's hoses. Is there absolutely no boost?

Codes from the o2 sensor arent always caused by a faulty sensor. If it's telling you it's running lean and o2 sensor is fine you could be looking at vac hose leaks, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, MAF, injectors...*generally speaking. The code number will help a lot.
    Thanks for the information I really do greatly appreciate any thoughts on the matter, but today me and a buddy were successful in pulling the turbo off.
    The turbo is seized up..COMPLETELY FROZEN! both sides. The waste gate completely frozen shut and the actuator as well. Also as I have read before there was a piece of the cat in the turbo exhaust manifold side. There were little white shreds in it too, BUTTTT the turbo's fins look to be in good condition. So my guess is the bearings/ Bearing... (Idk honestly how many are in the turbo) is seized up as well and shot... The other thing I found in the cold side of the turbo is that there was oil a fair bit of it on the entrance and some in leading to the fins/turbine. What would you think this would be from. The engine Im almost certain is in great and working order. It sounds and runs good, I know this does not mean that the engine is always fine and still could have a blown head gasket, but in my experience in other vehicles blown head gaskets are more generally obvious to the smoke and running order of things.

My question now is that is the turbo rebuild-able ???

There seem to be no further problems with the turbo

Now many people have just told me to upgrade the turbo right off since the stock is seized, but I dont have a ton of money to throw at this car right this second I have maybe 400 MAYBEE 500 that I could throw at it. but I also know going bigger needs a retune typically, and you need a new acess point and tuner installed. which honestly I know know the tinniest bit about and have no clue the cost.

What should I do go bigger or wait till I have more money to throw at it ?

Also what should I get and how and what is the cheapest but reliable way of doing this ?

I need a turbo like RIGH NOW RIGH NOW lol I need it out of my dads garage he's the type that fusses after a cupple days...

Thanks for any input

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    With that budget, definately replace. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you will be hard stretched to find a larger (than stock) turbo in that price range and have money left over for supporting mods/tune.

If your dad fusses, like mine, I would throw another stock td04 turbo on there, fix o2 sensors, and check all vacuum lines and fittings, perform other needed maintenance blah blah. Keep it stock and just enjoy/explore it for awhile.

Yea thats what I was thinking too man Thanks for your input great help. I think ill just surf the web forever for a td-04 Im having trouble finding one thats close to maryland but I guess if it can ship idk If you or anyone sees a td-04 for under 100 or 150 Let me know please. Believe me im SEARCHIN ill be up all night looking

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast