HELLO ! NOOBY ON THE BLOCK. ALSO SOME QUESTIONS - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on HELLO ! NOOBY ON THE BLOCK. ALSO SOME QUESTIONS within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; what can I do to keep my stock up-pipe from allowing cat fragments to go into the new turbo I ...

what can I do to keep my stock up-pipe from allowing cat fragments to go into the new turbo I will be puting in ???? Ik I SHOULD/NEED to replace the up-pipe completely, but in Maryland you have to have a cat and stuff like most other places to pass the emissions.. soo yea.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    The other cats in your (stock?) exhaust should scrub the gasses enough to pass emissions. IDK, we dont have emissions testing in East TN so I'm not an expert.

The cheapest option would be to gut the cat. Easiest option would be to buy a catless UP.

Quote Originally Posted by kcwrxfan View Post
    Pull the motor and put a LS1 in it.
    this. or buy a mustang. so you can put the ragtop down so your hair can blow.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    The other cats in your (stock?) exhaust should scrub the gasses enough to pass emissions. IDK, we dont have emissions testing in East TN so I'm not an expert.

The cheapest option would be to gut the cat. Easiest option would be to buy a catless UP.
    Yea I was thinking of gutting the cat but I was wondering how difficult this would be to ensure I get ALL the peices out of it, and yea your right though now that I put more thought to it. should still pass gutted. But yea my buddy told me to just buy a cat-less uppipe and I should still pass emissions due to the others.

So does anyone know what is the best way to gut the cat and ensure to get all the junk in it ???

Hammer and Punch lol.

I got a td04 on the way for the car I will soon one night maybe later tonight post pictures of everything and show my progression as a I go. I have today taken the up-pipe off and gutted it. it was a bit of a B***H to get off but got it done. threw everything in the trunk and rolled it out of the garage so my dad does not FUsss when he get back...

To whom is interested to hear:

I have put the newER td04 in the wrx and replaced all the exhaust gaskets and o2 sensors...
    CAR RUNS GREAT!! No checks no problems

Now all i need to do is get it inspected, It will probably fail due to the inner front cv boots beaing torn and the right inner tie rod boot being torn as well, so im expecting to have to replace these, either way they need replaced of course. But thanks to everyone for all the info !

What in inspection is this you might fail? I live in an area where they dont even perform emissions inspections...so honest question lol.

Well here in the very terribly liberal and very over regulated governmental state of maryland there is a rule for EVERYTHING. So whenever you buy a vehicle and go to put it on the road (so aslong as it is used and used uncertified by a dealer) then you need to have your vehicle inspected from top down. they check everything lights, wipers, turn signals, breaks, drive shafts, wheel bearings i mean really everything and anything. Soooo my subi isnt ganna pass due to the two inner boots on the front axels being torn appart, and also since the iner right tie rod boot is torn. so in order to pass they will need to be fixed. Oh and dont get this confused this isnt even emissions that is later in like 2 months which is just exhaust related and checks to see if thats all "GOVERNMENT ACCEPTABLE" so now you know... Never move to maryland... lol

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    To gut the cat use a drill with a few bits, a long extension, a long screwdriver (or something to chip away at it).. long needle nose pliers will help too.

Drill several holes in the cat material, as many as you can fit. Then stick something in there and start hammering at it, break it into pieces, and pull them out. With a flashlight from the bottom you can be sure you've got everything out..

Ohh yea, and don't breathe the dust from the cat material, it is toxic and will cause cancer. You should have at least an air filter, if not a full mask with breathing apparatus.

As far as emissions goes, the uppipe cat is really only used for cold start emissions, something that won't be tested.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.