New here 05 wrx
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on New here 05 wrx within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys I just purchased my first subaru. 05 wrx turbo, 120,000 miles. I'm trying to track down the history ...

New here 05 wrx

Hey guys I just purchased my first subaru. 05 wrx turbo, 120,000 miles. I'm trying to track down the history of it, the previous owner said the guy he got it off of bad the motor and tranny built and a larger turbo. Also he said it was tuned. I'm trying to find the owner before him so I can know for sure. It drives good, but it idles a little low, and on e the boost kicks in, it almost acts as if it's not getting enough fuel sometimes. Other than that it runs top notch and sounds good!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome! Nice looking car! Take a few photos of the engine bay and post them up. Looks like stock ride height and stock brake set up, but clearly a larger (STi) hood scoop.

Do you have a way of logging data? Live near a tuning shop? Not getting enough fuel is not a good situation (as I am sure you are aware). Running lean can end your engine very quickly. I would stay out of heavy boost until you figure out what you have your hands on.
    Last edited by 11blackSTi; 07-02-2013 at 04:25 AM.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    So other than running like crap, it runs top notch?
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome!

Zax hit exactly what I was thinking on the head. Take that thing to a mechanic and get a full inspection done on it. You never know what the sellers aren't telling you.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Welcome! Nice looking car!
    +1
    -Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    but clearly a larger (STi) hood scoop.
    Some WRXs came stock with the larger STi scoop.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I think it is running may be running to rich and not lean. Thats what the previous owner told me because the tuning guy said it would be better to be rich when the boost kicks in.. No tuning shops are near me im located in southwestern VA

I do see a Greddy turbo and HKS BOV

Quote Originally Posted by McMuscle3 View Post
    I think it is running may be running to rich and not lean. Thats what the previous owner told me because the tuning guy said it would be better to be rich when the boost kicks in.. No tuning shops are near me im located in southwestern VA
    You don't know really what its running until you can log it. Yeah rich is better than lean, but stoich is what you want.

Invest in a Tactrix cable...otherwise your top notch running car will quickly go south unless you figure out the issues.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

is tactrix better or would a cobb be better?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by McMuscle3 View Post
    is tactrix better or would a cobb be better?
    Depends on what your goals are. If you have a laptop and want to go opensource tune then buy a tactrix. If you want to get off the shelf maps and a convenient/compact data logger, then go AP. Chances are your car already has a tune on it, and since you mentioned that you have an aftermarket turbo/BOV you probably are past the off the shelf stage. Regardless, you will want a way to log data. Tactrix is probably your best bet. It's surprising that there is not a wideband o2 sensor installed with a gauge, considering the mods on the car.

He did say it was tuned before by "total performance" I assume they are out of Ronake, VA since that is where I purchased the car. I do have a laptop but I have never messed with anything like tuning before.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yup, but you can run data logs. I wouldn't recommend trying to tune it yourself.

Ah ok, i woulnt recommend me trying it either. Im new to this whole wrx/turbo world.. btw What do you mean by data logs? Show the codes for a check engine light and other things like that?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast