05 wrx first timer.. Help!?!

This is a discussion on 05 wrx first timer.. Help!?! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have just recently purchased my first ever 2005 wrx as I was getting tired of my boring Hondas, but ...

Red face 05 wrx first timer.. Help!?!

I have just recently purchased my first ever 2005 wrx as I was getting tired of my boring Hondas, but my wrx is having issues at 160k miles it feels like it will hardly ever boost and if it does it does not feel right,, blows black smoke and turbo smokes, I have read numerous times that it is the catted up pipe, and was just hoping for a little input from an experienced wrx owner before I dive in and replace a turbo and exhaust, please help very frustrated

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If the up-pipe is still stock/catted, that's a disaster waiting to happen, change that ASAP even if it's not the problem (yet).
    Attn '02-'05 WRX Owners: The Importance of the Uppipe Mod

If needed, you can probably find a used turbo (TD04, stock) for under $150 so don't panic about that...

There are a lot of threads on a smoking turbo, here and other forums too...
    Hopefully someone more experienced than I will chime in soon, hang in there...
    -Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

Yes car is 100% stock bought from elderly man single owner, I have checked as I have the car torn apart today and the cat has fallen apart, so now my question is do I now replace just the turbo or does that failure harm many components? Parts are cheap engines are not..

I Support ClubWRX
    on the right track! good on ya!

FYI my stock uppipe was cracked clean in half inside its casing; only symptom was a lag.

Oops and to partially answer your question, obviously you'll need an new up-pipe. Order the gaskets too, for up- and downpipe, just in case.
    Last edited by Shoopster; 06-30-2013 at 08:59 AM.
    -Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalee925 View Post
    Yes car is 100% stock bought from elderly man single owner, I have checked as I have the car torn apart today and the cat has fallen apart, so now my question is do I now replace just the turbo or does that failure harm many components? Parts are cheap engines are not..
    Ouch, most likely you will just need a new turbo. If you take the turbo off you should be able to see if anything went into the intake side.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

As far as I can currently tell their are no traces of anything getting sucked in the intake but after removing up pipe internals easily move around and can be pushed up the pipe getting stuck right before the turbo inlet, so I'm gonna ahead and order the new catless up pipe and gaskets for everything, before I buy a new turbo I was thinking sti upgrade? Possibly if no tune is required otherwise ill just buy oe. New to these boxer engines but I'm loving it so far.

I Support ClubWRX
    A different turbo will require s different map. Only like for like requires no tune.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    A different turbo will require s different map. Only like for like requires no tune.
    Yep, a larger turbo will require a tune. Plus I would consider a larger intercooler for it to even be effective.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!