new to the world of subaru

This is a discussion on new to the world of subaru within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello my name is josh, just got a 2013 wrx plasma blue. Love the color turns alot of heads, got ...

new to the world of subaru

Hello my name is josh, just got a 2013 wrx plasma blue. Love the color turns alot of heads, got the car with a life time warranty and the only thing is i want to do some mods but dont want to loose the warranty. So was wondering what everyone else thinks or even the first thing's they do. I put a drop in air filter and i think im going to do muffler deletes, trying to avoid tuning the motor because i know that will void the warranty. So just seeing what everyones opionions are thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the forum. Check out the thread in my sig for mod ideas.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

a lot of dealers like to throw the "lifetime" warranty around. do you need to go to the dealer you bought it from for all maintenance work in order to have the warranty? cause all the $$$ they make ensuring all your maintenance gets done at their dealer will more than pay for anything that they'll have to cover. they are confident enough in the quality of the brand and know that components "rarely" fail on their own accord. and you read "horror" stories online alot because what do people do when the rare occurrences of car problems happen? go online to complain and look for advice.

if you abuse it, tune it, mod it, and they find that what you did caused the part to break its on your bill. ALSO, if stuff happens that is considered "normal wear & tear" (having a brainfart but the only thing i can think of is a burnt out clutch at like 80k+, shot shocks with high miles, stuff like that) most likely they won't cover it under the warranty because they're things that are common things to fail with high miles, and your guna at least pay for the new part. they might "extend/continue" the warranty on the new OEM parts that they install, but same thing goes for the "wear & tear" on those as well.

if you search on here, your local forums, or nasioc, you'll read plenty of stories and builds with people not having engine/transmission problems pushing 300+ whp/tq. as long as you drive the car right and take care of it, it'll last

not to say that people don't have problems, but they are FEW and VERY far between
    Last edited by WREXXY; 06-18-2013 at 05:58 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Opinions vary greatly. For example:

If I had a car with a lifetime warranty I'd follow the maker's manual for service intervals to the letter, using authentic parts only.

In contrast, if I had a car with only a limited warranty (say, 36K miles as is customary bumper/bumper etc.), then I'd follow the maker's manual for service intervals to the letter, using authentic parts only.

That's just my view though.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

yea they gave me the life time warranty, but they said i can any where i want. I actually bought the car 1 1/2 hours from where i live. But the guy said as long as i put on the SPT parts and the dealership does the wrench time then my warranty will not be voided. The only problem is they stopped making alot of the parts back in 08, im sure some parts will fit but most they said dont. Thats why i was thinking of doing mods that can be taken off if i need to when i bring in for service and wont need to tune motor. For example i was thinking of doing a no name axle back exhaust, i already did a drop in air filter not that it does a lot but opens up a little more, and possibly a BOV just because i like the noise. Like i said just thinking of things to do with out a tune and easy to take off.
    Last edited by blurplewrx13; 06-19-2013 at 05:42 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by blurplewrx13 View Post
    yea they gave me the life time warranty, but they said i can any where i want. I actually bought the car 1 1/2 hours from where i live. sounds good though thanks
    Look at the terms of the warranty. The official SOA gold warranty has a limit of upto 100k miles. So whatever you have is a third party insurer.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

and possibly a BOV...things to do with out a tune
    Those two statements don't go together especially if you are referring to a BOV vs a BPV.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Those two statements don't go together.
    Yep agreed

Sorry BPV trying to get used to the recirculating system never had one before. Anyways i believe i saw something that stated you can use the Accessport to erase the computer but still stores it in a place where you cant erase, if that makes any sense.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RySTI View Post
    Grab a Cobb Accessport. I don't think it voids the warranty and you can reset it back to stock format if you ever need to bring your car in for maintenance.
    There is no such thing as voiding a warranty. They (SOA) either choose to honor or deny your warranty claim.

OP...run far, run fast. Get a new wife.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Hello my name is josh, just got a 2013 wrx plasma blue. Love the color turns alot of heads, got the car with a life time warranty and the only thing is i want to do some mods but dont want to loose the warranty. So was wondering what everyone else thinks or even the first thing's they do. I put a drop in air filter and i think im going to do muffler deletes, trying to avoid tuning the motor because i know that will void the warranty. So just seeing what everyones opionions are thanks.

Wrong car to do that with...you can't VOID the warranty though. Claims can only be denied if a modification is deemed to have possibly been related.

Drop in air filter won't do anything. The stock Subaru paper filter is better filtering anyway, and isn't oiled.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RySTI View Post
    I still don't think that a Cobb AP voids your warranty.
    Reading comprehension fail.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.