Rpms drop after accelerating?

This is a discussion on Rpms drop after accelerating? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have new '13 WRX base and have been driving it for about 800 miles. The problem is when I ...

Rpms drop after accelerating?

I have new '13 WRX base and have been driving it for about 800 miles.
    The problem is when I go from a stoplight or stop sign, the RPMS drop a lot from a 1500-1800 rpm acceleration as i let the clutch out.
    The problem is, it drops to a point where it almost stalls! This is all while i'm still holding 1500-1800 rpms on the throttle.
    My only method is to gas it more while slipping it. But that adds more wear to my clutch.

Is this normal?!

I heard of intake leaks, or some kind of vacuum leak may be a cause?

Anybody else experience this?
    TIA for any info.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Brozario View Post
    I have new '13 WRX base and have been driving it for about 800 miles.
    The problem is when I go from a stoplight or stop sign, the RPMS drop a lot from a 1500-1800 rpm acceleration as i let the clutch out.
    The problem is, it drops to a point where it almost stalls! This is all while i'm still holding 1500-1800 rpms on the throttle.
    My only method is to gas it more while slipping it. But that adds more wear to my clutch.

Is this normal?!

I heard of intake leaks, or some kind of vacuum leak may be a cause?

Anybody else experience this?
    TIA for any info.
    It sounds like you're describing bogging down. Are you new to manual transmissions? Or these cars? You're going to have to give more throttle if you want to avoid it. Also, if you're "holding the throttle at 1500-1800 rpms," once you begin to engage the transmission the load increases so in order to maintain those same rpms you'll need to open the throttle more. In other words, if you're holding the throttle down at 10% to keep the rpms at 1800 once you connect the engine to all those heavy transmission components you may need 30% throttle just to stay at 1800 rpms (just making the numbers up, but that's the concept).
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    It sounds like you're describing bogging down. Are you new to manual transmissions? Or these cars? You're going to have to give more throttle if you want to avoid it. Also, if you're "holding the throttle at 1500-1800 rpms," once you begin to engage the transmission the load increases so in order to maintain those same rpms you'll need to open the throttle more. In other words, if you're holding the throttle down at 10% to keep the rpms at 1800 once you connect the engine to all those heavy transmission components you may need 30% throttle just to stay at 1800 rpms (just making the numbers up, but that's the concept).
    Yeah, it's my first manual car so i'll be worried about anything and everything that happens to it.
    My ideal way to do it is to go from stop at 1000-1200 rpm so as to not wear the clutch out if I was going at 1500-1800.
    The thing is if I go that slow, and slip the clutch as soon as it engages, the rpms fall too much that i stall.
    My only solution to get it smooth is to gas it up to pass 2000rpms and releasing the clutch. But having to throttle it up pass 2000rpms seems a little much to prevent it from stalling.

Is this the correct way to do it? or is there a better way for a smooth acceleration from stop with minimal clutch wear?

Thing you have to remember is that the WRX is an all wheel drive car. So available torque is split not to just one set of wheels, but all 4 wheels. Thats why it feels like it bogs down more. You have to get comfortable with the friction point, where the clutch starts grabbing. It's a feel thing from that point on. Just got to feel it out and figure out how much to open the throttle to get it to start off cleanly without exceeding 1500 rpm or slipping the clutch. Once you feel the clutch start to grab, you feed in more throttle as you release the clutch the rest of the way.

I've been driving a manual for years, and it took me longer than I would have expected to get used to the way this car engages from a stop. It can be done smoothly, but it takes some practice.
    Last edited by XRedJar; 06-17-2013 at 12:18 PM.
    2013 Ice Silver Premium 5 door - Stage 1 E-Tune

Yeah you're bogging it. The rate of gas you give it to amount you take off the clutch is a pretty linear ratio. Less clutch, then more gas. Don't worry so much about the clutch right now since you are just learning.

But it sounds like you are letting off the clutch way too quick as opposed to slipping/feathering it.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

You need to feed more gas as the clutch makes more contact, which in turn is controlled by your left foot. so more gas, less clutch, until clutch is all the way out and you're on your way. Takes practice, nothing else. There is very little torque at the low RPM's, I still occasionally stall my WRX (just trying to be easy on the clutch) - and I've driven manual for almost 40 years... But I find that often I manage to engage and take off without exceeding 1K RPM.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Registered User mikal52waltincec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    ...it sounds like you are letting off the clutch way too quick as opposed to slipping/feathering it.
    Exactly what I was thinking, sounds like you're just letting your foot off the clutch all at once rather than easing out of it. Also like XRedJar said, takes time and practice, get used to the feel of the clutch grabbing and you'll get it down.