Should I buy this WRX?

This is a discussion on Should I buy this WRX? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi all, I'm new to Subaru and I'm thinking about buying a 2009 WRX sedan. I work at a car ...

Should I buy this WRX?

Hi all, I'm new to Subaru and I'm thinking about buying a 2009 WRX sedan.

I work at a car dealership and we recently took in the 09 WRX, it's black and drives beautifully. It has approximately 72000 KM's or 43000 Miles. That being said I don't know much about these cars besides the fact that I enjoy them.

I've been driving it as my "demo" for about 400 km's and love it as I knew I would. My question is what do I need to look for before I buy? What maintenance should I look into at this point?

I also noticed what I was driving it, putting it into reverse requires some force. Is that common for Subaru's? I'm not sure.

Also, I do plan on doing somethings to it, nothing crazy. Exhaust, tuner (maybe?) intake and that's pretty well it.

I don't know what brands are good for these cars and I don't know what kind of power difference I'll see with these slight modifications. I would love to have it over 300hp but I don't know if that's possible given my parameters.

I also know that that Subaru's aren't cheap, and either are there parts. The expense of maintenance doesn't scare me, I just don't want a car that is going to need thousands ever month!

Thanks for your time and please help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Do you have maintenance records with the car?

Here's the guides: Subaru maintenance schedules and new car break-in period- 2000 through 2009, links for 2010, 2011...

The reverse dance is a Subaru...quirk.

Check out the link in my sig for info about modifications. Almost all bolt-ons will require a tune. When you say 300, do you mean crank HP or wheel HP?

As far as reliability, if you take care of it and aren't going overboard with mods, they hold up just fine. Some cars built in 2009 had a particular engine failure issue that was usually taken care of by Subaru. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1695936
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    No.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Do you have maintenance records with the car?

Here's the guides: Subaru maintenance schedules and new car break-in period- 2000 through 2009, links for 2010, 2011...

The reverse dance is a Subaru...quirk.

Check out the link in my sig for info about modifications. Almost all bolt-ons will require a tune. When you say 300, do you mean crank HP or wheel HP?

As far as reliability, if you take care of it and aren't going overboard with mods, they hold up just fine. Some cars built in 2009 had a particular engine failure issue that was usually taken care of by Subaru. 2009 WRX engine failure VIN/build date owner list - NASIOC
    I suppose ideally I would want 350 CRANK horsepower.

That being said, I don't know much about the tunes available and would prefer to not get a custom one done (I live in an area with limited resources in custom tuning). So I would prefer a pre-mapped flash tune (if available). Heard about the Cobb AccessPORT But I have no idea how that works?

I want sound and a little bit of performance ontop of what it already has.

Further, I haven't purchased the car yet. But I believe I will, the price I'm getting is well below average and the car is in fantastic shape. Gas mileage is awful, but I quickly forget about that when I open her up!

I Support ClubWRX
    Try not to be so focused on the HP numbers honestly. You will only be let down.

If you do end up buying the car I would recommend driving it for a little while before doing any upgrades. You will have a better idea what you really want to change. Simply chasing a HP number is pointless in my opinion.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    Try not to be so focused on the HP numbers honestly. You will only be let down.

If you do end up buying the car I would recommend driving it for a little while before doing any upgrades. You will have a better idea what you really want to change. Simply chasing a HP number is pointless in my opinion.
    Understood,

luckily for me the car is right now being gone over with a fine tooth comb by our dealer techs. I'll get all the mechanical details sometime today hopefully!

When I state my horsepower wants, I don't plan on expanding my modifications past a full exhaust, tuner, intake and possibly upgraded TMIC. The numbers I get from that would surely make me happy.

I'm just curious as to what kind of numbers I would be expecting from that. I do know this much, the day I sign the papers for this car will be the day the exhaust is ordered. Heard a new WRX the other day with an exhaust and it sounded like sex, something I refuse to go without