Just ordered my first WRX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Just ordered my first WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've been wanting one since my buddy in high school had one of the first ones off the boat when ...

Just ordered my first WRX

I've been wanting one since my buddy in high school had one of the first ones off the boat when first introduced to the US. I got a 2013 5 Door Blue Base model. I just had a few questions about some of the accessories, since I have a few more weeks before I have to give a definitive answer on what I want.

Are the fog lights worth ordering and having installed from port, or is aftermarket a better direction?

Short shifter, really worth it? I don't intend to do any modifications at least until the warranty expires.

If I choose to do any mods before hand, what can be done that will not void the warranty?

Thanks
    Last edited by jkonigsb; 06-12-2013 at 10:10 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome and congrats on your order!

The following are opinions based on anecdotal evidence:

There aren't really any aftermarket fogs, unless you want to get HID fogs, in which case you'd probably want to spend the money on a HID retro kit for the regular headlights first anyways. I didn't get the fogs because of looks; I personally think they are way too small on our models. Others have told me that they don't contribute much in the way of light either.

Short shifter is generally considered to be quite worth it, though most suggest going aftermarket for a cheaper and arguably better option. Most also suggest getting aftermarket bushings to put in at the same time. You could easily call up a vendor and ask about a package deal that would include all that for less than the factory SS kit.

This last part is less opinion.

You don't "Void" your warranty. What happens is that when you take your car in to the dealership for a problem, they can deny a warranty claim for that problem if they believe that an aftermarket alteration caused it. So if I were running stage 2 and blow my engine, I might end up paying for it because they could argue that the modifications I did caused the engine to blow. If, however, I'm running stage 2 and my weather stripping fails after 10k miles, that would still get covered. Also, different dealerships are different, some are mod friendly, some are not.

Generally speaking, pretty much no dealership is going to give you a hard time for a catback exhaust, but any other power modification is a gamble.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Void was the wrong word, but yeah I get what you are saying. I asked about the short shifter because I used to have an E36 M3, and I know a lot of people complained about the length of the throws on that model, but I found it extremely comfortable. When I test drove the WRX, they didn't have any on the lot with a SS so I really couldn't compare the stock to anything else.

Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Welcome and congrats on your order!

The following are opinions based on anecdotal evidence:

There aren't really any aftermarket fogs, unless you want to get HID fogs, in which case you'd probably want to spend the money on a HID retro kit for the regular headlights first anyways. I didn't get the fogs because of looks; I personally think they are way too small on our models. Others have told me that they don't contribute much in the way of light either.

Short shifter is generally considered to be quite worth it, though most suggest going aftermarket for a cheaper and arguably better option. Most also suggest getting aftermarket bushings to put in at the same time. You could easily call up a vendor and ask about a package deal that would include all that for less than the factory SS kit.

This last part is less opinion.

You don't "Void" your warranty. What happens is that when you take your car in to the dealership for a problem, they can deny a warranty claim for that problem if they believe that an aftermarket alteration caused it. So if I were running stage 2 and blow my engine, I might end up paying for it because they could argue that the modifications I did caused the engine to blow. If, however, I'm running stage 2 and my weather stripping fails after 10k miles, that would still get covered. Also, different dealerships are different, some are mod friendly, some are not.

Generally speaking, pretty much no dealership is going to give you a hard time for a catback exhaust, but any other power modification is a gamble.
    You aren't kidding about the fog lights. Absolutely no difference on mine..

Yeah, my fogs are also worthless, but I like the way they look on the car. I mostly got them, because they came with the sunroof that I really wanted. (premium)

I Support ClubWRX
    One other option you might want to consider is the arm rest extension. I have the short throw on mine and I like it sits perfectly when i have my arm on the arm rest extension. Maybe later I will go with the Kartboy or maybe even the TMW (supposed to be even shorter then kartboy) but get the aftermarket bushing.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I did go with the arm rest extension, but decided to go without the SS for now. With how much I've heard about the Kartboy setup, I figure if I really want one I would be better suited with a more premium kit. Decided to leave off the fogs after I pulled into a shopping center and literally saw 2 sitting right next to each other, 1 with and 1 without. I love the look of the open airducts. (Former M3 owner, go figure). Pretty much decided to keep it pretty basic and drive it for a while before I decide to commit to anything. I've also been driving suv's for the past 8 years, so I want to get comfortable with the car before I do anything drastic.

One thing I did notice was how high the clutch engaged on this car, but was still very smooth.

I Support ClubWRX
    You get used to the clutch. Im installing my shifter bushings this weekend. I drove my friends STI with TWM shifter and I loved how short it I was but the 06 arm rest seemed in the way. The "air ducts" aren't open But I was thinking of making a mesh for it once I did cold air but I dont really need to and also I see a single fog light cover on ebay and could just use that with water filter or maybe put a baffle. I put LED daytime running lights in my "duct spaces". I know its probably not a big thing but when I do go FMIC I didnt want to worry about fog lights in the way of the piping. This is the same type of excuse I use for not getting the sunroof (oh i don't want the extra weight of the glass and motor and it might compromise the rigidity of the car) . Keep busy reading up on the forms while you wait. Hopefully its not too long.
    Last edited by cflip2x; 06-14-2013 at 06:17 PM.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I meant the look of them, not that they are actually functioning. The LEDs look real nice, I'm really interested in an Angel Eye look for my headlights but haven't seen any kits. A lot of what I've seen has been custom fab. I'm going out of my mind waiting for it, as of right now the order just says "month of July". Hopefully that gets updated with a date in the next week or so. My wife keeps yelling at me because I wont shut up about it, little does she know how much worse it will get when it arrives!

Welcome to the Club...congrats on your WRX...your life is about to change...
    -MACE-
    *HAVE YOU HAD YOUR WRX TODAY!*

I'm in the July order too...I thought I would have a VIN by now or at least an updated eta. This has bee such a long wait haha

Yea, it's pretty much torture. For some reason I've been seeing a lot of WRX's on the road since I ordered it! I'm in PA, so I have to wait for it to travel across country after it gets here. Let me know when you get your info, so I can call and complain to my dealer haha. I can't wait though. One of my good friends has been talking about getting one for years, he just got his 2nd Impreza and I always give him crap for not pulling the trigger and stepping up. He's a bit salty now that I'm getting one haha.

I Support ClubWRX
    Not many aftermarket headlights for out models. I have see one that has the black painted housing, HID projectors and amber reflectors removed. Its a little more expensive then a retrofit but with the retro you can customize it more yourself. Once I retrofit the HID's i'll also add some LED angel eyes and wire my DRL to be on all the time. They are bright and have a narrow angel. You dont get much when your not right in front of the car. I wish there were 5 instead of 4 and if they had 2 color led in 10mm size so i can have switch back but haven't seen them. Do you have any plans for non performance mods HU upgrade, Wheels, Plasti Dipping, shift knob?

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Looks wise I don't plan to do much besides tint. I love the wheels, although would like 18's of same model. I really enjoy the design of this car, so anything I change will be subtle. I would like to black out the WRX tags on the fenders to flow with the tint. If I choose to do performance, I wouldn't do anything more than COBB SF intake with Accessport and a cat-back exhaust. It does annoy me a bit that cat-backs are so expensive for this car that it's almost worth going for the full turbo-back, but thats down the road.

Got the call today, ETA is July 5th and I'm off work that whole week! Can't wait to get that thing on the road.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast