02 WRX Engine problems

This is a discussion on 02 WRX Engine problems within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I bought an 02 wrx new and after some aggressive driving (downshift to 2nd near redline) and the engine is ...

02 WRX Engine problems

I bought an 02 wrx new and after some aggressive driving (downshift to 2nd near redline) and the engine is knocking (73,000 miles). I don't know if it is a connecting rod, or loose rod bearing or what. I would like to get the engine fixed, but two mechs said I should get another engine. It still runs, and drives. Any advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Determine the problem.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    What do you mean knocking? Like, it's reading knock via the sensor? If so, where in the RPM/load range?

And downshift to 2nd near redline.. does that mean you were redlining it in 3rd gear then shifted into 2nd? If that's the case I would suspect you have bent valves.

You should data log and perform compression and leakdown tests if you think you're having a mechanical issue with the engine.

do the the bottom end now. rod bearing & connecting rod are a big deal. crack it open soon save a little money. truly if thats whats wroung. its going to not be cheep. if you do it fast you may save the crank shaft. thats were the money in parts is. i hope you can do some work your self. could save a lot