New 13 WRX Owner from NoVA

This is a discussion on New 13 WRX Owner from NoVA within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone, Picked up my new baby last Saturday and have been loving it so far!! (Pics: car - Imgur ...

New 13 WRX Owner from NoVA

Hey everyone,

Picked up my new baby last Saturday and have been loving it so far!! (Pics: car - Imgur)

I'm in Northern Virginia in the Chantilly area, so to all my NoVA brothers and sisters, how's it goin?

Picked up the Kartboy Short Shifter but havent installed it yet and have been researching switching out HU and speakers for the past week too. The stock system is laughable. Right now I think I'm going to do a Pioneer DEH-X8500BH, polk 651s in the back, and polk 6501 in the front. Then, of course, all the ASWC-1 and harness stuff. What do you all think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm in Alexandria with a '13 WRX hatch. Let me know how the head unit swap goes for you. Would be interested in seeing it afterwards. Might get my unit swapped but really want to see it done first.

I Support ClubWRX
    Congrats on the Car (what a crappy color choice) The only modification if you want to mount the Polk tweets in the OEM location would need to do is take a Dremel to the plastic Polk grill/shroud. Did you also pick up the bushings with the shifter?
    Last edited by cflip2x; 06-03-2013 at 03:22 PM.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Welcome!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    Congrats on the Car (what a crappy color choice) The only modification if you want to mount the Polk tweets in the OEM location would need to do is take a Dremel to the plastic Polk grill/shroud. Did you also pick up the bushings with the shifter?
    I suuuuure did!

Welcome.
    Very nice color choice indeed.
    I have been debating the HU/speaker swap/upgrade since picking mine up, but there are lots of other mods much farther up the priority list for me - interestingly, after getting the Subaru sub-woofer and dialing in the bass, mid range and treble settings, my stock system actually sounds pretty darn good at louder volumes. Sound quality is much better at louder volumes. Now the main complaint I have is the substandard display, but I can definitely live with the sound quality until all my other mods are completed.
    Kevin
    2013 WRB WRX Base, with growing list of mods

Yeah I could care less about the display, honestly. I just want the sound. Anyone have suggestions for their stock settings?

Also I am already (trying) to embrace the buzzes and knocks of Subi ownership. My Homelink vibrates to the point of a high pitched buzzing (any fix for that) and there's something in the trunk that clicks every time I am on uneven road (which is always). I'm going to throw my roommate in the trunk and see if he cant pinpoint it so I can remedy it.

My advice is to embrace the buzzing and accept the fact that you just paid $30,000 for a great drive train surrounded by a tin can.

I can deal with the buzzing of the Homelink but I think I can nail down the thing in the trunk. I'll let you know after I hijack my roommate and throw his sorry butt in the trunk.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome

Rear speakers should be the LAST thing you worry about when it comes to car audio. After you've done H/U, front components (with proper tweeter placement, not in the stock location), subwoofer, proper deadening, and tuning; only then should you consider rear speakers. Most audiophiles will recommend against rear speakers, and will say either run the stockers (powered by the H/U) or none at all, to help with staging.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Thanks! I don't think I'm going to run subs in this car yet. I think step one will be HU, see how it is, then go to fronts w/ deadening, might skip subs all together (had them in my past 2 cars)