Pre-Purchase
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Pre-Purchase within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Finally have the money to buy my next car, cash in hand. (The cash is actually in the bank, don't ...

Pre-Purchase

Finally have the money to buy my next car, cash in hand. (The cash is actually in the bank, don't come to my house looking for it).

I've been looking at the 2008 WRX for a while now and I think I'm settled on it.
    I love the 2009 265, but the price difference makes it a hard sell for me at this point.

Hope to be sticking around here once I get the car and come up with all kinds of "great" questions like "Should I put HID bulbs in my fog lights?!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome. We eagerly await your "should I put HID bulbs in foglight" & "should I smoke my taillight" & "which BOV should I get" & "which intake is best" & "should I tune for an intake" & "does your passenger side window & driver side window go down at the same speed,etc,etc,etc questions.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

2008 is arguably the worst year WRX
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Welcome. We eagerly await your "should I put HID bulbs in foglight" & "should I smoke my taillight" & "which BOV should I get" & "which intake is best" & "should I tune for an intake" & "does your passenger side window & driver side window go down at the same speed,etc,etc,etc questions.
    Each one will be in a separate thread and I look forward to you sharing your expertise!

Quote Originally Posted by maus View Post
    2008 is arguably the worst year WRX
    I mean.. I know it doesn't have the power, but any other logic here?
    Is the 2009 tenfold better? Is the 2008 mechanically the worst or just the way it looks?

Yes, typically the 2008 WRX is considered the bastard child of the WRX breed. There are many reasons for this. Firstly, the suspension was softened and this increased body-roll by several orders of magnitude. Second, Subaru adopted the new SAE method of testing HP, which brought the claimed CHP down from 230 to 224. In all reality, the output is the same between the 2008 and 2007 WRX, but the public saw this as a departure from the performance-oriented appeal of the WRX. Third, Subaru decided to utilize sliding-caliper 2/1 pot brakes instead of the 4/2 pot brakes used in the 2006-2007 WRX, which was seen as a step backwards in terms of perfomance.

To me, the 2008 caught a bum-wrap from the start, mainly thanks to the fact that it sat in the shadow of the VF52-powered 2009+ WRX. The 2008 WRX can be had for much cheaper than a 2009+ WRX and (in many cases) than a 2007 WRX. This is ideal for a number of reasons:
    1. The body roll and soft suspension can be remedied fairly easily with a stiffer set of sways, springs, and struts. This provides much better handling than the 2006-2007 WRX thanks to a lower polar moment of inertia and multi-link rear suspension... not to mention the lighter weight and improved rigidity of the GE chassis.
    2. Despite the claimed 224 CHP, the actual output is similar to the 2006-2007 WRX. The number of turbo options available for the LGT-style intake has improved in recent years and the VF52 can be easily acquired and and swapped for cheap power gains. Not to mention a purportedly strengthened transmission to handle bigger power gains than the 2007 WRX.
    3. Subaru brakes (even the 4/2 pot used in the 2006-2007 WRX) are teh suck. That being said, if you're tracking the car, you'll want a BBK anyhow, so the 2006-2007 WRX and the 2008+ WRX are in the same boat in this area anyhow.

So, in conclusion, don't listen to the many members that will tell you that "the 2008 WRX is the worst year for the WRX." To me, the fact that the car can be had for relatively low cost, plus the ease of power gains makes the 2008 an ideal mod platform in my eyes.
    Last edited by craighoog; 05-30-2013 at 09:03 AM.

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by craighoog View Post
    I mean.. I know it doesn't have the power, but any other logic here?
    Is the 2009 tenfold better? Is the 2008 mechanically the worst or just the way it looks?
    I mean if you're cool with the looks of it, then I suppose you'll be fine. But just remember you're going to be spending a lot of money modding to get performance similar to a 2009+ WRX...where as that same money modding ON a 2009+ WRX would yield even better results.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I mean if you're cool with the looks of it, then I suppose you'll be fine. But just remember you're going to be spending a lot of money modding to get performance similar to a 2009+ WRX...where as that same money modding ON a 2009+ WRX would yield even better results.
    The price difference here for roughly the same KMs is:
    08 - $17,000
    09 - $21,000

I love the look of the 08, so I figure I'll save the $4k and put that back into suspension and a turbo if I ever feel the need.

Have you driven it? That's the biggest issue. If you drive it and think it will suit your wants/needs, then that's the most important factor in the decision.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I drove the 08. Haven't been in any other Subaru except a brief passenger seat ride in a Legacy.
    I'm coming from a 2001 Civic with 300,000kms. Ask me how concerned I am about the suspension on a 2008 WRX

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.