2002 STi in Yokosuka, Japan. Coupla questions.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2002 STi in Yokosuka, Japan. Coupla questions. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey there. Picked up a 2002 STi in August of last year. I'm not sure what all mods are installed, ...

2002 STi in Yokosuka, Japan. Coupla questions.

Hey there. Picked up a 2002 STi in August of last year. I'm not sure what all mods are installed, I know it has DEFI gauges, adjustable Tein suspension, not sure of the exhaust, and for some reason it seems to be pretty popular here, a pretty small MOMO steering wheel, ha ha.

I know this is primarily a US board, but I don't think I'd be able to read any Japanese STi forums. If any of you guys have knowledge of JP spec STi's feel free to weigh in.

I have an intermittent check engine light that comes on, no real rhyme or reason to it. If it's idling and it comes on, a blip of the throttle makes it go away. If I'm driving at a constant speed and it comes on, shifting or going to neutral makes it go away. Usually occurs at less than 2.5K rpm, or after a couple of high rev shifts. Pretty annoying.

Also, when in stop and go traffic, if I have to creep forward a few feet, after I clutch in to coast, the engine will feel like it's missing for about 5 seconds, then it smoothes out, sometimes with or without a check engine light.

Took it to the dealer for the CEL problem, and through various iPhone translation apps, they replaced a part (not even sure what it was, piece of metal/plastic with two small plastic pipes for small rubber hoses to slip on) and that worked for about 3 days, and the CEL came back. Then they said they had to move a wiring harness to some work done for a previous owner, so they replaced/moved it back for free, about 8 hours of labor. Japanese customer service is pretty sweet.

According to the gauges, max boost is 26.2 psi. Doesn't that seem a bit high?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Also, pics for those interested. Iphone pics are all I have right now.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	376820_4204565269155_318322439_n.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	114231

Name:	480787_4204564669140_329139724_n.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	114232

Name:	526496_4204564869145_717934531_n.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	114233

I Support ClubWRX
    26 PSI is abnormally high. Measuring in PSI is abnormal in and of itself though, are you certain of the units? In any case from what you say the car is over boosting.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

That is a beautiful bugeye.

Can you get the code read? 26psi does seem high but it could be tuned like that. Post some pics of the engine bay.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Slight butterfingers. The boost gauge is in kpa x 100, highest I've seen is 1.7, with most around 1.5.

1.7 x 100 = 170, used a measurement converter, 170 kpa = 24.65 psi.

Most full throttle shifts are 1.5, = 150, = 21.75 psi.

I had the code read at the dealer, and (again, this was pretty rough as the dealer spoke next to no English, and I speak about kindergarden/preschool level Japanese) and the code it was throwing was a resistance measurement out of spec, it was supposed to read xx though xx ohms, and it was reading higher, so they replaced this part (pic attached) but it turns out that wasn't the problem.

I'll be pretty busy with work for the next 2 months or so, and this is my first boosted car, so I was just trying to track down the misfiring issue, maybe it was a common turbo issue that I'm not familiar with or something, and whether its safe to wait a little or fix it RIGHT NOW, cause the engine's gonna go. I'll take some pics of the engine bay tomorrow and post them, it's dark out now. Thanks for the help guys!

Name:	image_1354504622518369.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	114235

Underhood.

Name:	underhood1.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	114255

Name:	underhood 2.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	114256

Registered User Subaru-Mopar-Luv's Avatar
    You, sir, have a very Very rare front bumper! And the roof hatch is soooo cool! Your car is awesome! Good luck with getting it all straightened out!
    Speed never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you. -Jeremy Clarkson

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

The part that was replaced looks like the purge control solenoid valve.

You said you are having misfires. Did you get the codes or are just thinking it is misfiring. That car is modded and has some grounding mods. Just a wild guess but I would think your issues are electrical related. Due to the intermittent nature. It would be good to find a Japanese tuner and see what he thinks.

One day language differences will not exist but that is the future. Good luck getting this sorted out.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I can't ever get the light to stay on long enough, when I took it in they only code they said it was throwing was that resistance out of spec. I don't have any hard evidence that it's missing other than I've had cars that missed before, and this feels just like it. Boost gauge bounces between -.8 and zero when it's doing it. Does it more frequently when it's hot outside.

I'm down in Sasebo right now, I get back to Yoko next week and I'll see if anyone knows any tuners. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by st8gunner View Post

Name:	underhood 2.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	114256
    I am not sure what that clear plastic thing is. It looks like a check valve of some sort. Make sure all the hoses/vacuum tubes are in good shape and have clamps. Try and get the codes read.

I Support ClubWRX
    the plastic piece looks like an inline filter for a boost gauge
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.