Is a wrx a wise choice.

This is a discussion on Is a wrx a wise choice. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So the thing is I own a subi legacy cvt 2.5i great can great mpg 30+ hwy I drive 60 ...

Is a wrx a wise choice.

So the thing is I own a subi legacy cvt 2.5i great can great mpg 30+ hwy I drive 60 miles round trip to work. Sometime drive to Colorado or California to see family. My thing is I've always loved the sound, power and performance from a wrx. I want to get a wagon due to having two kids. I won't be beating it, I'm a mechanic so working on it won't be to much of a prob. But still new to subi cars so I'll be reading up before I turn wrenches. My thing is a good dd that is a thrill to drive and maybe once or twice a year take it to the local road course for some fun legally. So the questions, what's a good year and the year's to stay away from? Is the mpg that bad on the hwy in a wrx? Are parts that expensive for wrx or is it subi parts in general? Any and all advise will be helpfull thank you guys and gals.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Price wise, I'm still in sticker shock after getting used to BMW part prices. I can buy ALL THE PARTS! I also get a consistent 22 MPg around town. 'Tis my DD, and my one-way trip is 2 or 3 miles at 30mph, with one stretch up at 45. The epitome of awful city driving, second only to stop/go rush hour I suppose. I'm enjoying my '06 immensely, and the only year I've heard negative things about is 2008.

But I'm also very new to Subaru and still learning. So maybe, the 2008 model year is head and shoulders better than any others, and they're just trying to throw us off the scent.

Also, welcome!

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Just be aware that you will see 18-20mpg combined from the WRX.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

If you're gonna lose money on the trade in or something of that scenario, then no a WRX isn't a wise choice. I think Zach's numbers are a little low on the MPGs...you'll more than likely see 20-23 combined as long as you aren't gunning it everywhere. People have been able to get 27-28hwy (65-70 with cruise control on).

Upkeep and maintenance is nothing special outside of any other car in time and price. It's not that tough of a car to work on. But be aware that buying parts for upgrades will obviously be more expensive than staying stock (plus tuning options). Also be aware that the more you mod, the more you have potential to take away from reliability as in with any car you mod.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Well the only mods I will prob do is just intake, catback, maybe tune to get the most out of the car but nothing to crazy. I have a cdl so I try to keep speeding on the track not the hwy, but not to say I how I get to the speed limit

I think 18-20 is pretty low as well.

I got around 23 combined when I was stock (03 WRX) but would get up near or above 30 highway (say for a long roadtrip). I'm Stage 2 now (turboback exhaust and a tune) and get 26 combined. A good friend of mine has a stock 2010 STi and gets around 22-24 combined.

zax
    Well it's been a long time since I've driven a stock WRX...

I get about 20 combined. 23 highway, 18 City.

Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by Subitrucker View Post
    Well the only mods I will prob do is just intake, catback, maybe tune to get the most out of the car but nothing to crazy. I have a cdl so I try to keep speeding on the track not the hwy, but not to say I how I get to the speed limit
    Unless you get a 2002 or 2003, you would need a tune if you put an intake on.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Well it's been a long time since I've driven a stock WRX...

I get about 20 combined. 23 highway, 18 City.
    I think it greatly depends on where you are. I'm always surprised by people who say they get 22-23 in city driving, I think they must have much less stop and go in their cities, or much less elevation change (not that Philly really even has that many hills). Most days, on my commute, my car doesn't see over 3500 rpms and I'm shifting at 3k 90% of the time, yet it is tough for me to get more than 20 or so mpg. I probably could baby it even more, but at this point I'm already in a WRX accelerating more slowly than every one else, if I slow that acceleration down even more I risk really making other drivers annoyed with me, and I don't want to annoy all the north Philly *******s anymore than I already do.

I can, however, pretty easily get high 20s on the highway if I keep it to 70 mph or less. Hills kill it though.

Back to the original post, 2008 is generally considered an "off" year, mostly due to a softened up suspension and the fact that the next year they gave the WRX 40 more hp. The 09's there was a period of build dates that had engine failures: 2009 WRX engine failure VIN/build date owner list - NASIOC.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

i get 21-22 driving in the city in my stage 2 2013. about 26-27 on the highway.although you will get 18 mpgs as other have said if you drive like a 17 year old.

if your looking for something dirt cheap a bugeye can be had for next to nothing. a vf39 bugeye is a fast fun car. id personally buy the newest lowest mileage one i could if i had to buy used

2008 is considered a "year to stay away from" because its the newer body style but without the power or suspension. most people consider it akin to an awd corolla. which it basically looks like. the suspension is super soft and the power is lacking by todays standards. but because they are so hated the price on the used market is super cheap for an 08.

you can buy a used vf52 turbo, install with the correct map and have the same power as an 09+. then all you have to do is some suspension upgrades and youll have a nice little car imo

02-03 and 04-05 have the 2.0L engine and 227bhp or about 170whp. supposedly 02-03 have "glass trannys" but its all relative to how you drive. drive like a child. and it might break. drive like an adult, you should be fine (bugeye wagons are awesome imo)

06-07, and 08 have the 2.5L engine but still a small td04 turbo just like the 2.0 did. similiar hp 227-230bhp but it makes it lower in the rpm range and has slightly more torque. good turbo for a daily driver. stage 2 they pull some serious low rpm torque but they fall out at high rpm so they wont make crazy power numbers

09-13 has the 2.5L engine with a bigger vf52 turbo. makes 265bhp. most potential out of the stock turbo. you can pull around 270-300whp depending on fuel and tune. an 09+ stage 2 wrx is as fast in straight line as a usdm stage 2 sti of any year.

the 2011+ has the sti wide body style as im sure you know already
    2013 wrx sedan(saving up for a 2015 STI)

Previous faist cars: '05 Mustang GT '02 RSX-S, '91 SR20 240sx, '85 300zx turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Unless you get a 2002 or 2003, you would need a tune if you put an intake on.

Back to the original post, 2008 is generally considered an "off" year, mostly due to a softened up suspension and the fact that the next year they gave the WRX 40 more hp. The 09's there was a period of build dates that had engine failures: 2009 WRX engine failure VIN/build date owner list - NASIOC.
    That's why I tend to get the later model years of that generation. Usually have the revisions in place that are better. Although sometimes their revisions are cost cutting cheap ones.
    Car: 2013 DGM WRX 5 Door

I'm a sales rep for my company and I have a 2010 wrx premium and have driven 19,000 miles since November 16th. I get between 24.9 and 28 mpg.. On the highway I average 70-80 mpg up and around hills and for a wrx the milage isn't bad in my opinion. When I'm not traveling I have a 45 mile commute, one way. For as much fun as this car is, I'd rather pay the extra gas since I'm in my car a minimum of 2-3 hours per day (Philly traffic).

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Bkeys View Post
    On the highway I average 70-80 mpg

Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Maybe I should have looked at what I typed on my iPhone... Good catch. Hwy I hit 26-28... Not sure how I managed to type 70-80

Quote Originally Posted by Bkeys View Post
    Maybe I should have looked at what I typed on my iPhone... Good catch. Hwy I hit 26-28... Not sure how I managed to type 70-80
    I thought Impreza2.0 was back...and had some serious competition for highest mpgs
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying