Hello, New member here. Trying to decide on WRX or STi

This is a discussion on Hello, New member here. Trying to decide on WRX or STi within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Before my "First off" statement, I'd like to not have this thread go in the "Whichever you can afford" or ...

Hello, New member here. Trying to decide on WRX or STi

Before my "First off" statement, I'd like to not have this thread go in the "Whichever you can afford" or "are you taking it to the track" discussion.

Hello, I'll just start off by saying my name is Chris and yes, I am 18, I finally broke down and joined the forum because I've been sitting in the background doing all of my studying on the Subaru WRX and STi in the dark, alone. My first car(Which i purchased myself) was a 2001 Mustang GT and it's recently decided to give out on me, it was a good ride though and I enjoyed it, but now it's time to move onto something new. Currently I have no means of transportation between work and home, although I have family that is taking the time to get me back and forth or lend me a vehicle from time to time, but I'm trying to decide which vehicle I would prefer.

I don't consider myself to be a horrible driver, I enjoy a manual transmission although I do not have very much practice with it. I've test-driven two manual Mustang GT's and I got to where I could drive and shift without an issue, although That was a year ago and this is now. My current GT is an automatic(Ew) I know there is a difference between the 5speed and 6speed transmission in the WRX and the STi, people considering the STi clutch almost "Bullet Proof" and I'm wondering if that should be a factor between the $10,000 more the STI is on the Subaru website.

I don't expect to be taking the car out to the track much, or spinning around in some random field filled with dirt and gravel, so when it comes to handling, something that can take a low/mid-grade corner at 40 is all a need, let's be honest. A Civic could do it.

I'm not one to speed, but I do however love to get to the speed-limit REALLY QUICKLY. I figured the WRX and the STi could both do this, although I couldn't find accurate information it seemed, but it looked like a red-line launch on the stock 2012 WRX could hit 4.7-4.9 timing for the 0-60, no information on the STi that I've seen. I'd like something that pulls, so from a 40 roll -> 80 relatively quickly would be nice, for quick passing.

Gas-Mileage isn't really an issue, as the GT i'm driving gets about 16, and the truck I have gets about 8, I figured the WRX and the STi would top both of those.

As far as parts, I'm thinking about getting the CobbAP Stage 2 kit for the car (Leaning towards WRX) and purchasing a spoiler on my own, because I like that sport feel and hate wagons. I hear so much about 6speed being better than the 5speed, but I'm not sure if I should let that be a long-term factor. Besides, It's going to be my car, I need to see what suits me better, but I'm still asking, because lets be honest. I'm 18. What dealership in their right mind is going to let me test-drive a vehicle worth so much, that is known for the power a subi has. Especially after I have some fail shifts and possibly even a stall on the first one. LOL.

Either way, My budget can't really work in a STi at this point, but I'd love to have one because they are well known, and have a 6-speed which I keep hearing has better durability, and I have this strange feeling I'm going to wreck clutches for awhile. What do you guys suggest? Waiting 3-4 more months for the STi... or the WRX? Either way I'm sure it will be a great car, but nobody will let you just test an STi at my age, I've tried. I've tested the BRZ however, and I did not like it... My 1991 Acura Legend had more acceleration, honestly.. and more horsepower, lmao.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    My suggestion is a wrx for 2 reasons

1) you said you can't afford the sti and trust me you don't want to go broke just for a car (I bought my wrx when I was 17 and I've been more than happy with it over the last 7 years)

2) you don't plan on tracking it that often. The wrx is still a great platform for the occasional autocross or trip to the drag strip if that's your thing

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Yeah, this is a slam dunk. The WRX is your better choice. If the STi is too expensive, just wait til you add in the insurance costs. As for the 5-speed - truth is the unit in the 2009+ cars has been perfectly reliable and handles additional HP just fine. The early units got a bad rep, but even that was more from being asked to handle 400+ HP from crazed modders. Your desires fit the WRX just fine. It is a bit of a swiss army knife that does it all well.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

I just got a 2013 swp sti hatch. i love it, but i agree with wrxtreme06 "you don't want to go broke just for a car"

coming from a honda s2000 the STI is a whole different animal.

The 5 speed is perfectly fine, just make sure you avoid dumping the clutch. Speed-wise, to get those low 0-60 numbers, you have to abuse the transmission in one way or another, and abuse is abuse whether you have the 5 speed or the 6.

With the disclaimer of not really knowing all about your situation, from what you've said if I were you I'd be getting a WRX.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    My suggestion is a wrx for 2 reasons

1) you said you can't afford the sti and trust me you don't want to go broke just for a car (I bought my wrx when I was 17 and I've been more than happy with it over the last 7 years)

2) you don't plan on tracking it that often. The wrx is still a great platform for the occasional autocross or trip to the drag strip if that's your thing
    +1
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the "sti clutch" is why people like that 6speed. If you beat on either the 5spd or 6 you're gonna wear out the clutch fast, mostly because the car is AWD and there's so much grip off the line. The 6spd gets its reputation because it can handle a lot more power than what the car comes with from the factory. There's been a few people take the newer generation 5spd up to 350+hp/lbft and it has held up.

If you like 0-60 times the wrx is technically a little faster as the gear ratios are longer, so there's one less shift to get there.

Insurance on the STi will be higher and you're a long way from 25yrs old so I would definitely consider that over the long term. Also, maintenance items will be more on the STI. Bigger brakes, bigger wheels + tires, so bigger $$$.

Stage 2 will get you close to the STi power, and some suspension parts + alignment will get you some nice handling. If you aren't racing at the track then you don't need fancy LSDs and big brembos... I'm not hating on the STi, it's an amazing car, but I don't think it is for you. Like most here, I have a WRX and am very happy with it (especially with a few mods).

Are you trying to get a 2013, or are you willing to wait for the next generation? I would definitely consider waiting because the new cars should be even better than the current ones, but the cost could go up too...

Are you trying to get a 2013, or are you willing to wait for the next generation? I would definitely consider waiting because the new cars should be even better than the current ones, but the cost could go up too...
    Not to mention that if the 2010-2011 jump Mustang wise is any indicator, the dealerships wont be able to get the last 2013 WRX's off the lot once the new gen comes in.

As for your original question, I recently picked up a 2006 WRX with a few go fast parts and am extremely satisfied. Definitely satisfies my urges to be quick and have fun while driving, which it sounds like what you enjoy as well. I've the 5 speed and its just fine, though having driven a few 6MT cars while selling them makes me really wish I had one.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Axex View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the "sti clutch" is why people like that 6speed. If you beat on either the 5spd or 6 you're gonna wear out the clutch fast, mostly because the car is AWD and there's so much grip off the line. The 6spd gets its reputation because it can handle a lot more power than what the car comes with from the factory. There's been a few people take the newer generation 5spd up to 350+hp/lbft and it has held up.

If you like 0-60 times the wrx is technically a little faster as the gear ratios are longer, so there's one less shift to get there.

Insurance on the STi will be higher and you're a long way from 25yrs old so I would definitely consider that over the long term. Also, maintenance items will be more on the STI. Bigger brakes, bigger wheels + tires, so bigger $$$.

Stage 2 will get you close to the STi power, and some suspension parts + alignment will get you some nice handling. If you aren't racing at the track then you don't need fancy LSDs and big brembos... I'm not hating on the STi, it's an amazing car, but I don't think it is for you. Like most here, I have a WRX and am very happy with it (especially with a few mods).

Good overall recommendations/advice here.

A few minor corrections:
    It's not the clutch; it's the trans. The STI has a stronger trans and is capable of more power, but we're talking big numbers here, so this shouldn't even concern you. I'm putting 400 ft/lbs tq through my wrx trans right now, and <knocks on wood> it's holding strong.

Stage 1 will get you more power than a stock sti.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread

As much as I'd rather have an STI...I couldn't afford a new one myself and I'm 30.

WRX will be plenty for what you want.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    ^ spring chicken.

Greg

Build Thread

You are playing with the idea of getting an STI at 18? I am just starting to comfortably afford a WRX. Man I must have been poor back at that age.

Go WRX. Doesn't take much money to make the same power as a stock STI.
    Car: 2013 DGM WRX 5 Door

Quote Originally Posted by Valkator View Post
    You are playing with the idea of getting an STI at 18? I am just starting to comfortably afford a WRX. Man I must have been poor back at that age.

Go WRX. Doesn't take much money to make the same power as a stock STI.
    It's not that you were poor, or that I have money, I've just had this job for 3 years and it pays a bit over minimum, I don't spend my money on anything so I tend to keep it saved up for things like this, although with the recent car troubles I've been having I'm shrunk down to a few grand so I'll definitely have monthly payments. I'm starting to think the WRX would definitely be the better buy, although I would really have to get that spoiler for the Sedan..

I've actually been quoted less for the STi insurance than the WRX by a few places, including state-farm. Not sure what's going on there.

I am so happy that I went with my WRX instead of the STI. With just a few thousand I am beating up on the STI's in my area!!! and without the huge wing to not be noticed as much!! Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by CTucker1327 View Post
    It's not that you were poor, or that I have money, I've just had this job for 3 years and it pays a bit over minimum, I don't spend my money on anything so I tend to keep it saved up for things like this, although with the recent car troubles I've been having I'm shrunk down to a few grand so I'll definitely have monthly payments. I'm starting to think the WRX would definitely be the better buy, although I would really have to get that spoiler for the Sedan..

I've actually been quoted less for the STi insurance than the WRX by a few places, including state-farm. Not sure what's going on there.
    It does seem as though the WRX would suit your lifestyle better, both financially and from a driving standpoint. The way you described your driving habits, you really wouldn't need the extra goodies the STI comes with. As I said before, the transmission difference in strength really has to do with the gears and how much extra power they can take. Either transmission, if you are beating on it with hard launches, something is going to give. Key lesson, be nice to the tranny and it will serve you well.

Some quick math: You say you have a few grand saved up. Let's say you can save another couple and have $5k. I don't know details on your mustang except that it is a GT with an automatic transmission. So I'm letting the KBB (this is usually what dealerships like to quote for their trade-in values) calculator fill in the rest as far as miles/options. Let's then say they are generous and give you more than the "excellent" rated amount and you get another $5k for trade-in, which, if the car is having problems like you say, is an extremely generous estimate. I then used sales tax for my area, 6%, not knowing where you are, and was nice and gave you a 2% interest rate assuming you are going for a new car. A used car is going to be at least double that. With a long term loan, 72 months, on MSRP for the cheapest STI you can get you are looking at $384 per month. Can you afford that plus whatever insurance is? Will you be able to afford that a couple years down the line, or 5 years from now?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"