Would stage 2 compromise a 2008 wrx's reliability?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Would stage 2 compromise a 2008 wrx's reliability? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm looking to pick up an 08 wrx (yes I know 09 is better, but for 00 less I'm getting ...

Would stage 2 compromise a 2008 wrx's reliability?

I'm looking to pick up an 08 wrx (yes I know 09 is better, but for $4000 less I'm getting an 08 probably) would putting a catted downpipe, and a stage 2 tune on it cause problems? I want this thing to be reliable as possible, but I also want it to feel a little quicker, maybe be able to keep up with stock 09's. My main question is though, will these 2 little mods hurt it's reliability or cause engine problems?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Generally speaking the reliability of Stg2 is tried and true. However, that depends on your tuner and the current condition of the car and the driver

Google 2008 Stg2 WRX reliability....................I bet that will get you what you need.

Cheers

Thanks, I'd be using the Cobb AP and their "off the shelf stage 2 tune" and a catted downpipe, to hopefully keep everything safe. This is all in theory, I needa sell my POS Jeep and pick up the suby first!

Do some searching, TONS of us on stg2 for long periods with no issues.

I Support ClubWRX
    It all depends on the parts and the tune really. I would not recommend an OTS tune for many reasons, reliability being one of the big ones.

Putting a better flowing exhaust on only hurts the car if the tune doesn't properly account for it.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Ditch the Cobb, get opensource protune.

Yes to Open Source!!! OTS maps are canned solutions for a very dynamic variable...your car! They work yes, but they are not optimized for the individual car the way OS tunes are.

Quote Originally Posted by GODMODE View Post
    Thanks, I'd be using the Cobb AP and their "off the shelf stage 2 tune" and a catted downpipe
    Coob's map notes state that the requirement for stage 2 on a 2008 is a full turboback exhaust, not just a downpipe.

Edit: Err...Cobb's maps say that too. I definitely wouldn't trust Coob...whoever they are.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    As a general rule, a decent S2 tune shouldn't create any issue that wasn't already there to show itself. For example, if the motor was already on its way out, it may speed it up a bit, but S2 power mods shouldn't be enough to be the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by MercRising
    Yes to Open Source!!! OTS maps are canned solutions for a very dynamic variable...your car! They work yes, but they are not optimized for the individual car the way OS tunes are.
    There are OTS maps for both Cobb and OpenECU
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    As a general rule, a decent S2 tune shouldn't create any issue that wasn't already there to show itself. For example, if the motor was already on its way out, it may speed it up a bit, but S2 power mods shouldn't be enough to be the cause.
    Was just gonna say basically this. If you continue to take care of your car and not beat the piss out of it, no reason why it shouldn't remain reliable.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post

There are OTS maps for both Cobb and OpenECU
    Agreed, but the open source process generally involves you and your tuner making a few revisions right? You start at OTS and end at a semi custom open source tune. Whereas with straight OTS maps from say Cobb, you get what you get, right?

Honest questions.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MercRising View Post
    Agreed, but the open source process generally involves you and your tuner making a few revisions right? You start at OTS and end at a semi custom open source tune. Whereas with straight OTS maps from say Cobb, you get what you get, right?

Honest questions.
    Yeah it depends who makes your maps. Perrin has done 3 revisions for me on my stage 2 tune, but it's certainly not as customized as a protune would be.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Yeah it depends who makes your maps. Perrin has done 3 revisions for me on my stage 2 tune.
    Learn something new everyday! Thanks for the info.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by MercRising View Post

Honest questions.
    You pretty much get it...but its not really an OTS tune anymore at that point...and generally yield better results than a simple OTS tune.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

so with open source I just need a tactrics cable? I've been readin up on it a little but I'm still lost to this.. I'm used to building suspension on Jeeps all this tuning and exhaust work and turbo stuff is new to me haha. On another note, if I wanted to run straight pipes for a bit, would this hurt the car? Or would I need a custom tune to run it? This is all in theory like I said it'll be a month before I can get a car, but as soon as I do I'd like to jump in feet first

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.