Would stage 2 compromise a 2008 wrx's reliability? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Would stage 2 compromise a 2008 wrx's reliability? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by GODMODE so with open source I just need a tactrics cable? I've been readin up on it ...

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by GODMODE View Post
    so with open source I just need a tactrics cable? I've been readin up on it a little but I'm still lost to this.. I'm used to building suspension on Jeeps all this tuning and exhaust work and turbo stuff is new to me haha. On another note, if I wanted to run straight pipes for a bit, would this hurt the car? Or would I need a custom tune to run it? This is all in theory like I said it'll be a month before I can get a car, but as soon as I do I'd like to jump in feet first

If you're taking the car to a professional tuner to get an open source tune then you don't need anything, they will have their own Tactrix cable to use.

What do you mean by straight pipes? If you just mean a straight piped catback, then no, you won't need a tune.. but yes, it will sound obnoxious.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Tactrix is if you want to be able to flash your tunes onto the car on your own or, you plan on getting a tune from any of the many people who ETune...aka email you a new map for your ROM and you flash it onto the car. Etuning usually also requires the Tactrix so you can do some data logging that you'd send back and forth with the tuner to get the tailored adjustments to your map that dial the tune to your specific car.

PM me if you'd like a bit more on it. Or, and probably easier, go to the engine management or tuning section and read a bit. I'm not on this sit as much but I'm sure there's some good DIY info on tuning with open source and the tools/processes you'd need to be familiar with.

Crap, I am great at typing a bunch and then realizing I should do this......

OPENSOURCE TUNING: Your questions answered here!!! RomRaider + Tactrix

Cheers and hope you find what you need. Let me know of not, I spent the last year learning all this stuff too and enjoy helping other cats get on the road to more HP!!!!

Word

My question is, then, why are ap's so popular? Saved maps? Was thinking about eventually getting one, but now I don't know

Quote Originally Posted by SilentSide View Post
    My question is, then, why are ap's so popular? Saved maps? Was thinking about eventually getting one, but now I don't know
    Ease of use and more customer service.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Ease of use and more customer service.

That's what everyone says.. but honestly, I find flashing and logging with my Tactrix cable easier than with an AP. And Cobb's customer has been non-existent every time I have needed them.

Who knows??.. there are a lot more OTS maps saved that you can use with open source than what comes with the AP.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    That's what everyone says.. but honestly, I find flashing and logging with my Tactrix cable easier than with an AP. And Cobb's customer has been non-existent every time I have needed them.
    After reading Roh Ruh's tales of woe with dealing with his AP, I have to agree, although my laptop doesn't seem to like to keep the connection when I'm logging with romraider. Still, unplugging and replugging/restarting romraider seems much easier than making sure my battery is within a certain voltage range or else.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Accessport
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Quote Originally Posted by lokey View Post

So.. real time tuning, that's it right?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame
    So.. real time tuning, that's it right?
    Supposedly better map definitions on the newer cars...them hiring Bill put a hurt on OpenECU. That said, I haven't had an issue mapping newer cars with OpenECU
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Supposedly better map definitions on the newer cars...them hiring Bill put a hurt on OpenECU. That said, I haven't had an issue mapping newer cars with OpenECU

Yeah.. I think their speed density implementation may be better as well. And open source does not have hybrid MAF/SD tuning, which is kinda nifty.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Yeah.. I think their speed density implementation may be better as well. And open source does not have hybrid MAF/SD tuning, which is kinda nifty.
    +1. My tuner is very excited about the nifty-ness of SD for big builds.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

thanks for all the replies guys. I've done some more reading up on this over the last few weeks in prep for picking up a suby before the end of July I hope. I am going to keep it stock at first until that gets boring. I plan on an 08 or 09 is price allows, but swapping a vf52 (stock 09 turbo) onto an 08 if I get it. I have decided that either way I will go the opensource route. Probably going to go with a torqued performance map, and maybe ecu-mods LC and FFS for stage 2, and then for stage 2.52 as well (vf52 swapped onto 08) I'm just posting all this as a response to my own newbish question. My original question was reliability. I've read the stock intercooler doesn't like being pushed over 18 lbs of boost, so that's one issue to watch for, but I doubt most stage 2 maps will push more than that. Another thing to look for is a catted downpipe vs a catless. Catless can work, and make a tiny better hp, but custom tuning is recommended to avoid boost creep. So a catted DP, and a decent stage 2 tune shouldn't affect the reliability as far as I have researched. I'm dying to get my suby! just gotta replace my heater core in my jeep (worst job ever) and do brake calipers on it then sell it...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12