New to WRX's, looking to buy 06-09 used, advice?

This is a discussion on New to WRX's, looking to buy 06-09 used, advice? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, I'm new to subaru's, and I'm looking to get an 06-09 WRX used. I'm no stranger to working ...

New to WRX's, looking to buy 06-09 used, advice?

Hey guys, I'm new to subaru's, and I'm looking to get an 06-09 WRX used. I'm no stranger to working on cars, I've owned 2 lifted Jeeps, a lifted Bronco, and a slammed dakota, that I installed all the suspension and exhaust, other mods etc on. I'm Just sick of terrible gas milage, and Jeeps breaking down. So I'm looking to get WRX. My price range is $16-$22k, big gap, but lower is better of course. I also don't want something with more than 50k miles on it... So I'll tell you what I know from reading, and any additional advice, corrections, insight etc is appreciated!
    06-08 have the same engine/turbo setup, with the 08 being a tad different, is this right? where 09 got a big bump in HP from a bigger turbo. So an 09 is more desirable
    06-07 same suspension
    08 has better suspension than 06-07, but 09 is better once again, is this right?
    All this being said, 09's seem to run $2-$4,000 more around here than 08's. Are they really that much better? $2-3k leaves a lot of $$ to mod/play with. I like the look of the 06's and 07's, but I feel like I would regret not getting something a little newer, just because I'll see newer ones, and when I eventually sell it the resale will be a tad better. 08's are a bit more plain looking but I like them a lot, especially the wagons.
    Couple more questions about the 08's
    *can I put an 09 turbo on it?
    *how do they compare handling wise to the 06-07?
    *is the 09 really worth $3000 more?
    Thanks guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

08 was the year the wrx got soft and subaru realized the wrx was meant to be a rally car not a beige car so the 09 got the power boast up to 265hp and better suspension.
    2012 DGM WRX - Stage Two 93 - Stink Eye Mob #908
    The Epic Life of Emily the WRX

So would I be unhappy with an 08 vs say an 06 powerwise, or are they close and 09 is just that much better?

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    06/07 and 08 have the same power. You should drive all models in question though. They will probably feel totally different

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I would be personally looking for a car that is affordable and unmodded with service records first, and worry about which year it is after that. Yes, there are some differences between the years in power/suspension, but you can always address those issues to an extent. You probably won't be able to, though, if all your money is spent fixing up a car that is a mess.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Yeah I am for sure looking at unmodified ones, and service records are a must. I have found a couple very clean dealer serviced 08's with 50k miles for $17-18,000 so that's what I'm leaning towards. I will go testdrive both models for sure. I really want an 09 hatchback, but it's not worth $75 more a month over an 08 to me. Any WRX is gonna feel like a racecar compared to lifed Jeeps on mud tires that I've been driving for the past 2 years and I personally am not going to mod it to shave fractions of a second off my 1/4 mile time or anything like that. I just want a newer, nicer car that I can daily drive without having to fix something every weekend, that isn't a little econo box toyota!

On another note, is going to "stage one" with a Cobb AP, and some catback exhaust going to hurt the reliability of a WRX at all? I love modding cars (my current Jeep has 5k in suspension, tire, etc mods all installed by me) so I'd like to play with it a little bit, but I don't plan to molest it too much!

Pay the extra bills and get a 09+