New member, looking to buy new car

This is a discussion on New member, looking to buy new car within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Good morning all. So this thursday I'm about to embark on my new car journey. I'm test driving the 2013 ...

I Support ClubWRX

New member, looking to buy new car

Good morning all. So this thursday I'm about to embark on my new car journey. I'm test driving the 2013 WRX hatch limited w/nav. I've test drive a few cars already (2013 Ford Fusion, 2013 Hyundai Sonata, 2013 Honda Accord) and would like some advice on how the WRX behaves. I know a lot about it from personal research, but I know these forums will be able to tell me what it's like to own and live with a WRX (long time fan, first time poster/member). I also just started a car blog with some friends and have written a few reviews on what I've driven to further get my thoughts down on paper. So with all that in mind, here are my questions:

1) I know Subaru's are STUPID reliable and great cars, but does that translate to their sports cars in the long term? I.e. is the WRX easy to live with?

2) Being a non-stick driver (I'm currently learning on a 2010 Mazda 3), is the WRX a good 1st car to have for a stick?

3) If you were to choose sport (WRX) or luxury (Hyundai Sonata 2.0T w/ Premium for example) which one would you choose and why?

Thanks for you help. Just trying to make the best, most informed decision as possible.

-Gregson-

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome!

1) As with any higher performance car, it's all in how you treat it. If you leave the car stock and are diligent with your maintenance, the WRX will be just as fine as any other "reliable" car. The more you mod, the more likely you may be to have issues, and the same goes for driving style. If you beat on it, it will beat on your wallet.

2) Polarizing subject. Most don't consider the WRX 5 speed to be a good transmission. Personally, I don't find it to be all that difficult to shift, it just could be tighter and shorter. The '13 models have hill assist, which I think could actually be helpful for a manual noob.

3) Well, this is a WRX forum, so pretty much all of us chose sport over luxury The question is...would we do it again?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks Calvin! Great stuff. And on #3, Silly question, but I figured I'd ask anyway. And the Limited w/nav is not exactly a stripped out car. It seems pretty plush with the leather and HID lights. Only thing it doesn't have is something like onstar, but AAA can tow anywhere so not really needed. I like the hill assist option, that would help me immensely off the bat. I'm a huge car nut and have driven stick on friend's cars so I'm sure I'd pick it up quickly. I wouldn't mod the car until the warranty is up so I'd be using it as a sporty daily driver, but I'd want to still come to rally's and club meets and drive and have fun. Maybe a few track days depending on price. Sounds like it'd be a great purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by ShiftingLanes View Post
    Thanks Calvin! Great stuff. And on #3, Silly question, but I figured I'd ask anyway. And the Limited w/nav is not exactly a stripped out car. It seems pretty plush with the leather and HID lights.
    No problem! Just be aware that interior materials quality is not the greatest, and you will have rattles/squeaks, it is inevitable. Another chronic complaint is the paint. Subaru paint is notoriously soft and chips easily.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Hey man welcome I'm from Jersey too! I pretty much learned how to drive stick with my wrx the hydraulic clutch is pretty easy compared to alot of other cars ive driven (minus miatas ) but definitely check out this thread for new wrx purchases! And a heads up wrx tend to be a somewhat loud car because they are AWD
    net.html
    2012 DGM WRX - Stage Two 93 - Stink Eye Mob #908
    The Epic Life of Emily the WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Paint is paint. Unless you're buying a Rolls Royce, where they put about 700 layers of paint on, you're going to get chips in a car. And with the squeaks, my Accord squeaks a ton too. It comes with owning a car. My family and I have owned cars from 6 different brands since I was born and I don't remember one that didn't squeak. Those include BMW, Ford, Honda, Porsche, Jeep and Chevy ('vette). And those cna be fixed relatively easily by the dealer if you tell them what's up. Unless that's not really an option with Subaru, all the others have always identified rattles and such and fixed them.

For me, it's really going to come down to sport vs. luxury (as of now the Sonata is in the lead in that category. Seriously it's insane what you get for your money at Hyundai). I'm a pretty big tech junkie too so that's luring me towards Hyundai. I know Subaru lacks in tech, but honestly, as long as I have a nav and can control things from the wheel, that's all I really car about. Looks like the WRX does that easily. I'm really pumped for the test drive Thursday. Might even pop in a Legacy and a BRZ for comparo sake.

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks Amp! Huge help. The Accord I'm driving is pretty loud as it is since it's a 2-door and 2006 is a bit old. Even the 205/55R16 tires don't help with the road noise. If the sound system can drown out that noise, and the engine can help that as well, I think we're golden. Haha. Where's Warren TWP? I'm up off of 287 towards Mahwah in North NJ. Lots of great driving roads around me.

if you looking to buy and live in nj you may wanna look up clayton over at ramsey subaru he is very highly recommend in these forums and has sweet deals here is the link http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-purchasing-forum/134354187-clubwrx-new-car-buying-program-its-back-post2864553.html I have not yet bought my wrx of him but am going to buy of hm very soon

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk 2

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks, Ker. I've actually been in contact with Clayton before. He's very good and will absolutely consider purchasing from him.