Hello - Belated introduction & wish lists mods / parts wanted
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Hello - Belated introduction & wish lists mods / parts wanted within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Been a member for a little while, but it's taken me a while to post an intro here (my car ...

Post Hello - Belated introduction & wish lists mods / parts wanted

Been a member for a little while, but it's taken me a while to post an intro here (my car has been sick).
    I drive a 2006 WRX that I have had since 2008.
    Unfortunately at the moment it is entirely too stock, although as of this week I will have spent about $2200 upgrading/installing & replacing clutches in the car (on #3 in 50K miles - but today's work should fix its clutch issues finally)!

I had hoped to spend that $2200 on a Cobb Accessport, Catted Turboback exhaust system & larger inter-cooler.
    I am in the market for this stuff if I can find a crazy cheap deal on the stuff used in Northern California (I live outside of Paradise near Chico at the moment).
    (& FWIW a set of coilovers & 18" wheels with 235 35 18 tires - I am not looking to lower the car however)

It does have upgraded drilled brake rotors & Hawk Blue pads that went on last week & of course the ubiquitous K&N filter in the box.
    After that I would like to upgrade the front & rear sway bars to some beefier units.

Looking to make local Subie contacts & Willing to assist those who can help me to our mutual benefit.
    I do happen to have a good MIG welder & will soon be getting a Bridgeport mill set up hopefully.

Dave - SFX95901 (Yahoo)
    '06 Impreza WRX
    '99 Outback
    Magalia

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome!

So what's causing your clutch issues? Hawkeyes aren't really known to have any kind of specific clutch issues. Improper install or bad parts?

If you aren't looking to lower the car, why do you need coilovers? That's an expensive part for not utilizing them...you tracking?

And wow...$2200 for a Cobb AP, TBE, and a larger Intercooler? You buying those things at Neiman Marcus or something? You could find a TBE used for $600 or so...get a protune...come out with much better power and power curve, and still save $1200...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Clutch issues - IDK what caused the original clutch to go at 25K miles since I did not have the car the first 12K & it was a salvaged title (ostensibly from a theft & recovery). It was replaced with the ACT HD kit (which I now know a lot of folks dislike) & installed by a local transmission shop. That was a big $1200 (just for labor) mistake - I could tell almost from the start that they did not do a great job but they weren't exactly standing behind there work either so I kindof just crossed my fingers there. Sure enough 23K miles later I was towing the car home again.

This time the clutch work is being done by Subie experts (Engines Express, Paradise, CA) and not just some local transmission shop; after talking with them their best guess is that the flywheel was not inspected by the first transmission shop and probably had small cracks in it then. It had major cracks in it by the time it failed the 2nd time. This time everything is being replaced and we are hoping we get more than 25K miles out of it this time (especially since there are no drag racing like starts on it)

That's where the $2200 came from - it's not the money I was going to spend on those parts, it's the money that has gone into clutch work, a significant portion of which I would have rather spent on the Cobb, Turbo back, intercooler and other upgrades in addition to a beefier clutch done ONCE.
    It was wishful thinking about where the money wasted on redoing the damn clutch could have been better spent on stuff that will have to wait now.

As for the coilovers - I live in the mountains here in California, and I do appreciate the improvements in handling that all of the suspension upgrades provide. I would not be adverse to going the upgraded springs/struts/shocks route but I also like the adjustability of coilovers. I should correct my comment in that I don't mind lowering a bit per se, but I also live & drive in the country where not every road is paved. I just lost my ranch house in Loma Rica where I had a 1/2 mile unpaved dirt driveway. My WRX at stock height managed it OK, but I also had a lowered turbo Eclipse - I think I was on tranny pan #4 when I sold it. So lowering a half inch to an inch would probably be fine if the spring rate increased a bit to make up for it, lowering much more than that would wind up causing me issues just driving around up here.

Thanks for your interest
    Dave in Magalia

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.