New WRX owner-Hello, and air scoop question

This is a discussion on New WRX owner-Hello, and air scoop question within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello to all, so glad to be here as a new WRX owner! Turned in our 1998 Legacy wagon with ...

New WRX owner-Hello, and air scoop question

Hello to all, so glad to be here as a new WRX owner! Turned in our 1998 Legacy wagon with over 196k on it, bungee cords holding up the front bumper, screaming power steering pump, slipping clutch and more, but still sorry to see her go. Wife still driving her 185k+ 2005 Forester. When she finally said, "life is too short, go get something you like..." I had the green light for the WRX! 750 miles so far, probably not a factory manual perfect break in (oops, did I just go over 4,000 rpm there?), but seriously trying to do it right. Cannot wait for 1,000 miles, but fully intend to still take care until I am very used to this strong runner.

Question please. Not until after we drove away and saw car under a light in a parking lot did we notice some odd deformation in the air scoop. Sort of raised lines, fold marks almost, hard to see unless you got down and looked from the side. Took it right back, showed a salesman, he spoke with service and told me new part being ordered right away, will need to be painted when it comes in, call you then. Great!

But now about 10 days later the deformation seems to have disappeared! If other people, including the salesman had not seen it I would chalk it up to me just being silly.

Anyone heard of anything like this before? Is the air scoop non-metallic and subject to heat/cold changes?

Love this car! This is no issue since dealer is on top of it, but will be odd bringing it in now, unless the strange lines reappear!!

Thanks, and happy driving to all!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Did it rain recently? sometimes the rain leaves streaks on the hood scoop.
    2013 SWP WRX Sedan
    Hillside, NJ
    Invidia Catless Downpipe, Custom Short Ram Intake, Self Tuned Using ECU Flash, Romraider and Tactrix

Hi, thank you for the message. This showed up the same night I picked up the car and the marks were visible for many days after that, including just two days later, sunny and dry afternoon, when I took it in and showed it to a dealership employee. I did not pay much attention after that since he told me they would order the part, and then lo' and behold... I look at it the other day and it looks smoothed out!

Go figure!!

I Support ClubWRX
    I wish this would happen with my paint job...One day tons of paint chips...next day GONE!

11blackSTI... wow, I clicked the
    Don't click that

What a great looking ride. I feel like I am at the start of a great relationship with my new 'ru, and seeing your's just makes look ahead to the fun to come.
    Last edited by Oddball; 05-06-2013 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Oops, need better editing before posting

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
    11blackSTI... wow, I clicked the
    Don't click that

What a great looking ride. I feel like I am at the start of a great relationship with my new 'ru, and seeing your's just makes look ahead to the fun to come.
    Glad that all the money I have spent can inspire others to spend a bunch of money too!

But really...Thanks, she's my baby Looking forward to seeing your updates!