New and thinking about getting a subaru
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New and thinking about getting a subaru within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey im new to this forum and i currently have a Mk6 Gti and my dream car is definitely a ...

New and thinking about getting a subaru

Hey im new to this forum and i currently have a Mk6 Gti and my dream car is definitely a 5 door sti hatchback but i dont see myself making those payments and i also want to have some money left over to tune it. I have a stage 2 in my Gti but i really want that AWD, Anyways i was wondering what is the difference between the wrx and sti. Is it just that one has a bigger turbo? I was wondering because maybe i can save some money and buy a wrx then upgrade the turbo in the future?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Smileysam View Post
    Hey im new to this forum and i currently have a Mk6 Gti and my dream car is definitely a 5 door sti hatchback but i dont see myself making those payments and i also want to have some money left over to tune it. I have a stage 2 in my Gti but i really want that AWD, Anyways i was wondering what is the difference between the wrx and sti. Is it just that one has a bigger turbo? I was wondering because maybe i can save some money and buy a wrx then upgrade the turbo in the future?
    Subaru are better at making STi cars than anyone else, and since they make lots of them they can make them cheaper than anyone else. Buy the car you want initially.

The cars have the same displacement but the motors are mapped and fueled differently. The worthwhile differences are in the chassis though, and in the gearbox. If you want an STi buy one now rather than trying to DIY one. Up until recently the WRX was a better road car than the STi but in the later models Subaru have corrected this and the STi is now a good road car as well. Go drive both and decide.

EDIT: Follow the link in my signature.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 05-03-2013 at 01:52 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

There are a lot of differences with between the two. While simply going Stage 2 on a WRX can yield STI-like power...you won't have the much improved 6spd tranny, the Brembo brakes, the better suspension, etc.

"Building" an STI from a WRX would be way much more costly than just buying an STI outright. However you can take a WRX and mod it to improve many aspects of it over stock form.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

If its a daily driver the WRX is something you should consider. As already said above, You'll spend more trying to build an STi from your WRX than you would if you bought an STi initially. If your going to drive it on the track an STi is the way to go. Also, like SD_GR said drive both before you decide. I found the WRX to be more than enough car for me, but I'm not driving it on a track, its my DD.

These guys are definitely right in that you should get what you want, but maybe you're not sure what you want.

A lot of people have been very happy with the latest WRXs and I think you should definitely give them a serious look. If you want an STI but the cost will keep you from modding it, I say get a WRX and mod that. Mods are fun and there's a crazy amount available for these cars. However, if you're going to mod so much that the transmission becomes an issue (like if you want to swap to a much bigger turbo) and you're not a DIY/swap kinda guy, the STI's transmission is its biggest advantage IMO.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.