New to the WRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New to the WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello! I just got a new 2013 WRX sedan yesterday (plasma blue pearl). I drove an hour to a dealership ...

New to the WRX

Hello! I just got a new 2013 WRX sedan yesterday (plasma blue pearl). I drove an hour to a dealership to test drive the Subaru BRZ, but I wasn't real impressed with the power. Pretty much was considering 3 cars- BRZ/FR-S, WRX, or a used RX-8, but my wife kinda won out here by pointing out that I'd get 4 doors and a lot more power going with the WRX. It also didn't hurt that I got the car below dealer invoice, significantly cheaper than the BRZ would have been. I've always loved the WRX and STI look, and the handling is different than anything that I've experienced before since it's always-on AWD.

Also, this is my first manual transmission car. In fact, I essentially learned to drive stick yesterday on it... not the easiest car to learn on, but I'm getting smoother pulling away from lights, and starting on hills. Wife thought I was crazy for buying a car that I could barely drive off of the lot, but hey I'm up for a challenge!

Anyway, I look forward to reading these boards. Seems like a real passionate community online for the WRX and STI

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome, nice car.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Welcome.

Read this if you're thinking about modifying

Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

Welcome and congrats!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Thanks guys and thanks for that link. I might get a Stage 1 tune in a couple of months. For right now I'm going to add a couple of factory options that I didn't have; mine is the base model since all they had on the lot were base models... only 2 miles on it when I bought it, so at least I know it hasn't been joyridden. Of course learning stick I've put a pretty good beating on the transmission already, lol.

Last night I took my WRX out when there wasn't any traffic, and did hills, upshifts/downshifts, the whole 9 yards. Today I finally felt comfortable, and got through city traffic without stalling, even when I had a stop light on a steep hill. It's tough to be smooth between 2->3 especially, so I need to practice more, but I absolutely love the car.

It'll get easier and easier. Years of practice makes perfect. Until you, with a decade + of experience driving a manual, still stall out/grind gears here and there with lots of people looking. Not that that has happened to me...I'm just sayin...
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Congrats!
    Kevin
    2013 WRB WRX Base, with growing list of mods

Hey my wrx was my first manual car too, I had driven some before, but it for me it was difficult to start from a stop with it. Few months later and I drive like a champ! Dont the newer models have hill assist?

They do, ya. It messed me up for the first few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    It'll get easier and easier. Years of practice makes perfect. Until you, with a decade + of experience driving a manual, still stall out/grind gears here and there with lots of people looking. Not that that has happened to me...I'm just sayin...
    LOL I hope I get to the point where I never stall. You definitely have to pay attention more driving a stick. I love the control, but driving in traffic is a lot of work.

One thing that I'm trying to stop is sitting on the clutch pedal at lights. I should be in neutral at lights, and only put it in gear when it's time to pull away, but I get nervous that I'm pulling away too slowly for the car behind me so I leave it in first with the clutch down. I've "got" the engagement point but when traffic is real heavy I still hunt for it a little, and it adds a second or two to starting from a stop.
    Last edited by Apharmd; 05-04-2013 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Apharmd View Post
    ..but I get nervous that I'm pulling away too slowly for the car behind me..
    F the car behind you! Take your time

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    My first manual was a 2003 chevy truck. That thing had massive clutch pedal travel and shifter arm throw. It was like driving a dump truck (my second manual experience).

Ive been doing the same thing, I try to watch the light and as soon as it is green I throw it in gear. Or in traffic as soon as I see the third car ahead of me move. But really who cares if you start slow. I always think its funny when the corolla is riding my ass, knowing that I could smoke it if I really wanted to.

Welcome to the club! I pretty much learned in my car aswell not that easy haha but definitely go stage one, awesome results its like night and day!
    2012 DGM WRX - Stage Two 93 - Stink Eye Mob #908
    The Epic Life of Emily the WRX

My first manual and real sports car. Loving it. I ease out too, save gas and ease not worry about who's behind ya. After a while we dont even care.

My only mod so far are pipes. Invidia N1 installed. Parts to install that i have are Catless DP, AEM Intake and Codd heat sheild....That and a protune..up next.

Not sure if that is stage one or two, but cant wait to get it installed and dialed in on the Dyno.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.