About to turn my back on Honda

This is a discussion on About to turn my back on Honda within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone i'm new to the Subaru thing and just wanted to say hi and ask a few questions. I've ...

About to turn my back on Honda

Hey everyone i'm new to the Subaru thing and just wanted to say hi and ask a few questions. I've owned only Hondas since i was 16 and its time for something new. im looking at a few cars right now one is an 05 WRX STI Sedan and the other is an 04 WRX wagon. What are some things to look out for when buying a used Subaru? This whole platform is like whitch craft to me but it think it is something im going to grow more fond of the Hondas. Thanks for your time and hope to hear from some of you guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome! Hondas are great cars but a lot different than subarus...

If I were buying used I would be looking for an unmodified car with a clean maintenance (documented) history. Also I would be having an experienced car mechanic take a very close look at it.

Good luck!

I know alot of people probably so oh yeah I'm a mechanic but I was a diesel mechanic for four years in the Army and know I'm working at a dodge dealership. I'm not the most experienced but I know my way around an engine. I do like Hondas too but the whole scene and stigma associated with Hondas is starting to drive me away. I've always wanted an STI ever since I learned what they were. So now I'm finally saying why not getting something I want instead of turning something I already have into something it will never be. The car I'm looking at right now has a virgin engine it even has the factory radio in it but it does have 101k on the odometer is this a descent engine still or is all the fun already worn out of the engine?

I Support ClubWRX
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by Barf hat View Post
    I know alot of people probably so oh yeah I'm a mechanic but I was a diesel mechanic for four years in the Army and know I'm working at a dodge dealership. I'm not the most experienced but I know my way around an engine. I do like Hondas too but the whole scene and stigma associated with Hondas is starting to drive me away. I've always wanted an STI ever since I learned what they were. So now I'm finally saying why not getting something I want instead of turning something I already have into something it will never be. The car I'm looking at right now has a virgin engine it even has the factory radio in it but it does have 101k on the odometer is this a descent engine still or is all the fun already worn out of the engine?
    Check the links that EJ posted. Additionally, the engine may very well be fine for another 100k with that car, all depends on how it was taken care of. Very important: timing belt service is due at 105k miles, so you will want to find out if that has happened or not, as it is a relatively expensive service even if you do the work yourself.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"