New to Subaru - 2013 WRX
Results 1 to 13 of 13

This is a discussion on New to Subaru - 2013 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Happy new owner of a 2013 WRB WRX. After deciding it was time to replace the daily driver, I put ...

  1. #1
    Registered User kmac33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    26

    New to Subaru - 2013 WRX

    Happy new owner of a 2013 WRB WRX.


    After deciding it was time to replace the daily driver, I put a WRX on the list of potential candidates - (after driving a friend's WRX a few years ago I've been a fan). Quickly decided it would have to be a WRB hatchback.
    Last Thursday I went to the local dealer to look at a 13 WRX Limited that was spec'ed out exactly like I wanted. Unfortunately, it was sold and about to be shipped across the country. Ended up leaving that evening with a WRB WRX base model that will spend a couple of days back at the dealership this week getting all of the factory options added that I really wanted.
    So far loving it. Spent a few hours this weekend doing a full wash, wax and detail.
    I'm really looking forward to dipping into the SPT and Cobb catalogs and unleashing more of this cars potential! I have a bad habit (for my checking account) of modding every vehicle I own.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    142
    I have a new limited hatch and although the extras are nice you will be just as happy with the base. I expect you save $4500 by going base? Use the extra savings and get all those goodies you keep reading about. I'm in the process of removing my drivers seat out for the summer weather and put in a Sparco one. The factory seat is okay and I like the heat in the winter, but nothing beats a good tight racing seat when you want to do some aggressive mountain road driving.

    The only reason I really wanted the limited over the base was the HIDs that you can adjust manually. They are great for night time driving and on the back roads I can aim them higher without having to run my highs. Have fun modding your new car.

  4. #3
    and the Funky Bunch Calvinball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Philly Area
    Posts
    5,969
    Welcome and congrats! What did you drive before? You say this is your DD, does that mean you have weekend car(s)?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

  5. #4
    Registered User kmac33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Welcome and congrats! What did you drive before? You say this is your DD, does that mean you have weekend car(s)?
    My former daily driver was an 09 Pontiac G8 GT that I had resto-modded "back" into a Holden Commodore SSV. It was a great car, very comfortable and very fast, but for various reasons, I was ready for something different.
    I also have a 1974 Fiat Spider that was my dad's car. He finally passed it on to me 5 years ago when I turned 40. I spent about 2 years doing a complete nuts and bolts resto-mod on it. I literally took every single nut and bolt off the car and rebuilt/refinished/upgraded or replaced everything. I plan to pass her along to my son in 29 years when he turns 40, so she only gets driven on weekends/days with really nice weather. I also have a couple of motorcycles (Moto Guzzi's) that can get "transportation" duty if I don't have to tote kids around that day.
    Kevin
    2013 WRB WRX Base, with growing list of mods

  6. #5
    Pro Manscaper Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    20,768
    Ohhhh man...want pics of the Moto Guzzis!!! They are rare, and I love em!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

  7. #6
    Registered User kmac33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Ohhhh man...want pics of the Moto Guzzis!!! They are rare, and I love em!
    Guzzi's get into your blood. More "character" than any other make I've owned.
    Here is my "obsession" bike: 2007 Griso 1100. Heavily modded. A joy to ride.

    How she looks the best!


    Bought this one to fix up, enjoy for a bit and sell. 2003 California Stone 1100. After I sell this one, I've got my eye on an 02 Lemans.
    Kevin
    2013 WRB WRX Base, with growing list of mods

  8. #7
    Pro Manscaper Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    20,768
    They are gorgeous!!! That Griso is pure sex!

    I've always liked the "V" engine design. Similar to the BMW Boxer design, but not. Definitely adds character.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

  9. #8
    Registered User kmac33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    They are gorgeous!!! That Griso is pure sex!

    I've always liked the "V" engine design. Similar to the BMW Boxer design, but not. Definitely adds character.
    Thanks! The fact that Guzzi keeps that beautiful "V" motor a central part of all of their bike's design/style is one reason I love the brand so much.
    Kevin
    2013 WRB WRX Base, with growing list of mods

  10. #9
    Registered User pmacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    376
    Welcome and congrats on your new WRX...good color choice...
    -MACE-
    *HAVE YOU HAD YOUR WRX TODAY!*

  11. #10
    Pro Manscaper Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    20,768
    Quote Originally Posted by kmac33 View Post
    Thanks! The fact that Guzzi keeps that beautiful "V" motor a central part of all of their bike's design/style is one reason I love the brand so much.
    HOw's the reliability been on them? Only thing I've been worried about is maintenance because of their just aren't many around, especially in my area.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

  12. #11
    Registered User kmac33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    How's the reliability been on them? Only thing I've been worried about is maintenance because of their just aren't many around, especially in my area.
    Guzzi's are a little "quirky" and you have to be willing to get them "dialed in" to realize and enjoy their full potential. If set up correctly (helps to have a really good knowledgeable dealer for the initial prep/set-up) and the maintenance schedule is followed, they are extremely reliable bikes that will run forever. A Guzzi motor isn't even considered really "broken in" until it has 10,000 miles on it.
    They are also easy bikes to work on - other than the initial delivery prep, I am the only person that has "wrenched" on my Griso.

    On the WRX front, I dropped my car off at the dealership yesterday to have the following "goodies" added: SPT cat-back exhaust, short throw shifter and shifter bushing, fog lights, powered amplifier, satellite radio, home link mirror, SPT boost gauge, and heated seats.
    Also spoke to the Service Manager about how they treat "modified" cars with warranty issues - need to know before I jump into the Cobb catalog!
    Kevin
    2013 WRB WRX Base, with growing list of mods

  13. #12
    Registered User kmac33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    26
    Spent some quality time with the Rex this weekend. Very happy with all of the additions so far (except the stereo - this thing is garbage in today's market). The short throw shifter/bushing makes a huge difference - much improved! The SPT exhaust sounds great.
    Went ahead and did an initial oil change when I hit 500 miles (I do an early oil change with all my vehicles). Then did a very thorough exterior detail job using Werkstat products. Picture of the finished product:

    Unfortunately, the Subaru reputation for thin paint is proving true - found more "chips" when detailing than I would have expected in so few miles - a clear bra is now close to the top of my mod list!

    I made the "mistake" of going by JPM Coachworks facility on Friday after discovering they are in Atlanta. Looks like I should just have my next few pay checks direct deposited into their account! Really cool guys running a top notch operation. The quality of the products they are making is first class. I can not wait to drastically upgrade my interior by installing LOTS of their stuff.
    So far I have ordered their Alcantera shifter boot, E-Brake boot, extendable arm rest cover, door arm rest covers and gauge hood. And after seeing some of their ongoing projects, that will definitely just be the beginning.
    Kevin
    2013 WRB WRX Base, with growing list of mods

  14. #13
    Registered User WhiskeyWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Anna, OH
    Posts
    33
    Congrats and great looking ride!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •