Potential Subaru Owner
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Potential Subaru Owner within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello Everyone! Im new to this forum board and would like to start things off on the right foot. I ...

Registered User ClosetSubyLover's Avatar

Potential Subaru Owner

Hello Everyone! Im new to this forum board and would like to start things off on the right foot. I have been an avid looker in owning a Subaru but was never financially capable of obtaining one until now.. I'm completely new to the Subaru make and would like to get some concerns, thoughts, or ideas about what to look out for when buying one of these. I have a friend who did a pretty substantial build to his VW GLI and it got me interested in doing one to a Subaru, since I was a bigger fan of these cars then the VW's.

I know I cant get ahead of myself because I want to do this the right way the first time around with as little problems as possible. I have plans of getting a WRX STi and doing some minor mods to it, that would still allow me to have a daily driver but also have a little petal behind my foot if I wanted it as well. I have strong car knowledge but like I said I am completely new to Subaru's and the foreign side of things.

If anyone can give me things to look out for to the common issues buying privately or from a dealership I would love to know! Also just some minor quirks about the cars themselves like certain years I should stay away from, common problems that manufacturers had recalls on or little tricks that need to be done to not have extensive issues with maintaining and operating the car.

Again any info or knowledge as to what I'm looking for would be great and I am excited to hear what everyone has to say!
    Last edited by ClosetSubyLover; 04-24-2013 at 02:10 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You looking at new or used vehicles?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    You looking at new or used vehicles?
    Most likely used. Preferably from a private owner.

Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist

How to Buy a Used WRX or STI

There's the two big stickies for you. Generally you want to find a car that is stock and has always been so. You probably want to involve persons who are knowledgeable about these cars in the decision process, whether that is having a mechanic who knows them check the car out for you (best) or you at least post ads/pics/etc of prospective cars on the forum here for the senior members to chime in on.

What's your budget looking like?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist

How to Buy a Used WRX or STI

There's the two big stickies for you. Generally you want to find a car that is stock and has always been so. You probably want to involve persons who are knowledgeable about these cars in the decision process, whether that is having a mechanic who knows them check the car out for you (best) or you at least post ads/pics/etc of prospective cars on the forum here for the senior members to chime in on.

What's your budget looking like?
    I have been told the same about finding a car that has been more or less stock all its life. For obvious reasons My budget is probably going to be somewhere in the area of $6000-to the high end of $8000, possibly more. After getting the car I want, then the savings will start to happen for the goodies, but I will cross that bridge when I come to it. I have a couple people that I have in mind that can help me when looking at cars so I think I'm going to be ok in that department.

I will be posting some ads or pics of cars that have my interest in a little while but I'm still kinda doing some head hunting that would be worth posting up on here. I'm guessing this community would be helpful with some advice that wouldn't steer me in the wrong direction. I mean thats why I'm here right? Lol.

The years that have my interest are anywhere between 1998-2004 or 05. I'm not objected to finding a car with some decent miles on it because I'm looking to do a minor engine build and possibly slight trans work. Like I said I am going to post up some possible candidates for cars that have my interest but even if some senior members or what-have-you would like to post some ads to add to the pot that would be great

Thanks!

Sounds like a 'bug eye' build to me! (2002-03-04 wrx wagon/sedan)

Not that I'm biased. If you can score a 04 and up Anything wrx or STi and it checks good by club members or mechanics or both, you are made of gold!
    Last edited by tirerob; 04-26-2013 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tirerob View Post
    Sounds like a 'bug eye' build to me! (2002-03-04 wrx wagon/sedan)

Not that I'm biased. If you can score a 04 and up Anything wrx or STi and it checks good by club members or mechanics or both, you are made of gold!
    I do have the bug eyes in mind for sure! I started noticing they look pretty good if you can get a decent looking bumper(from a body kit obviously) to wrap them in and kinda take your eyes off the lights, you can definitely make a solid looking car. I actually have found a few that have my interest but it'll be a couple weeks before I see what kind of hours I'm getting at my job to tell or not how fast I'll be able to take a loan out for one of these bad boys!

My friend that I mentioned in the OP about his VW GLI said patience is key when building one of these so I have to maintain a little self control lol. He took a little over a year to get his finished and he said that was the hardest part, being patient. I'm gonna follow his advice because I want to have as little problems as possible my first time around and make it an enjoyable experience.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.