Some questions before my new WRX is delivered - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Some questions before my new WRX is delivered within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I understand what you are trying to state by calling it rice. But it is a Japanese car and Japan ...

I understand what you are trying to state by calling it rice. But it is a Japanese car and Japan is an Asian country. Therefore that statement sounded a little backwards to me. Japanese love their rice and sushi!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Could be an Indian car...they eat a lot of rice. I like to eat healthy...and eat a lot of brown rice...so...yeah. If you like the look of a pillar pod, go for it. I put one on my last STI and didn't mind it at all.

But he's right...you said AFR. If you mean basic cheap AFR gauge, it's pointless. It doesn't accurately read AFR at all. You'd need a wideband for any stable and useable data. And as Maus said, it's not exactly necessary on a stock car with the stock downpipe. Much more of a pain in the arse.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Bump ...Anyone else have any input?

So no k&n air filter?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
    So no k&n air filter?
    Why would he need one?
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by schleges View Post
    #1- I'm coming from a 6 speed manual Jeep Wrangler and I have a feeling i'm going to miss the 65 MPH @ 1300 rpm. So, what is the largest tire diameter that will fit (without any rub) on a '13 WRX, so I can squeeze out a slightly better final gear ratio?

#3- I'm very new to Turbos. So, other then being anal about oil changes, and minding the 1000 mile break in period, what words of advise would you give me for general/preventative maintenance?

#4- The first thing I want to do is purchase some gauges and the pillar pod (looking for boost gauge, AFR, and oil temp I think). What would you recommend i get? As far as; Analog vs. digital, one brand name vs. another, one setup easier to install then another, one gauge more important than one that i have mentioned? if so, Why?

#5- Which readings should I be wary of from these gauges? Boost over ~14.5, boost dropping off at certain rpm? AFR too lean or too rich, oil temp upper limit and normal running range?
    #1 Stick with the factory tire sizes. Subaru designed the entire suspension around them. You could go up to the STI 18" wheel, but the tire aspect ratio is adjusted accordingly, so the overall wheel diameter is very, very close to the 17" size. This isn't a jeep. At the 1300 rpm on the freeway, you'll be lugging the engine. At Stg II power mods, my 65mph rpm is about 2800. All the interior rattles, wind noise, and transmission cacophony easily drown out the engine at that speed.

#3 It's not that complicated, really. Follow the factory recommended service and break in intervals. The turbo shouldn't be a wear item, so with proper maintenance, it will last the life of the car. All bets are off with modifications.

#4 I'd recommend the SMYcluster, like Maus. It's an OEM-quality bezel that add two gauges right on the dash cluster. I have a ProSport boost gauge and an AEM UEGO wideband O2 gauge. I would not recommend ProSport, get Defi instead. AEM is great, though. If you plan to tune the car at some point, Boost, wideband O2, and Exhaust Gas Temperature gauges should be on your car, in that priority order.

#5 Check the CobbTuning map notes. They have dyno runs of the factory WRX tune, so you can see how the boost curve tapers at WOT. That said, you're buying a brand new car with a warranty. Why are you worried?
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

No oil air filter? Cobbs intake uses an oiled filter and I feel like everyone and there mother uses it. Could you just swap filters on the Cobb intake then?

Oiled filters just aren't necessary. You have more of a chance of gumming up the MAF sensor with oil with them too.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter

I had heard before that a non oil was better so can you just swap out the Cobb filter for an aem dry flow or k&n filter? Or will that screw up the Cobb map

Quote Originally Posted by Scoob1318 View Post
    I had heard before that a non oil was better so can you just swap out the Cobb filter for an aem dry flow or k&n filter? Or will that screw up the Cobb map
    You'd probably be fine with either. Filter element itself won't affect the map at all.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    Why would he need one?

why wouldnt you??? better air flow, hp, and gas mileage....
    "When we understand us, our consciousness, we also understand the universe and the separation disappears."
    ~ Amit Goswami ~

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Oiled filters just aren't necessary. You have more of a chance of gumming up the MAF sensor with oil with them too.
    well i could see that if you were a newb and way over oiled your filter........ but i am really finding it hard to see how the nomral, mentally competant person could oil their filter enough to gum up thier MAF.... i will admit that this is my first boosted car so might be wrong but still......
    "When we understand us, our consciousness, we also understand the universe and the separation disappears."
    ~ Amit Goswami ~

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Could be an Indian car...they eat a lot of rice. I like to eat healthy...and eat a lot of brown rice.
    yumm

brown rice
    \_(ツ)_/
    Kunal - Ordered 2015 DGM WRX
    Photographer | Dancer | Tech Nerd | The Stink-Eye Mob #7
    First Mods: What and what not to do
    2011+ Big Mod Thread
    How to Buy a Used WRX or STI
    Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by kprugbyplaya View Post
    yumm

brown rice
    Go home Kunal, you're drunk.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.