New member: Nissan owner trying to convert!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New member: Nissan owner trying to convert! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys! Just checking in! I'm actually in the market for a new vehicle and a wrx or STI is ...

New member: Nissan owner trying to convert!

Hey guys! Just checking in! I'm actually in the market for a new vehicle and a wrx or STI is on top the list. I actually want to get he next gen wrx but these last few photos that leaked are making me weary. I'm hoping more news will be released soon. I am not Ina rush so I still have time to eithe order a new 2013 or just wait for the new model.

As for background I got married almost 3 years ago, traded my 350z to buy my wife a new hyundai sonata and now I'm driving her old 2003 solara.
    I've been driving nissans all my life. I am a parts manager/director of a local Infiniti store in the DC metro area and our company loves nissans and fords! I've owned 6 nissans in the past including (at one point) the fastest n/a 350z but that was short lived. Ran numerous 12.8@111mph with very light mods.
    I'm getting the mod bug and I want a compact sedan with turbo and awd!
    I plan on keeping my solara or trading that in for a Nissan frontier and buy a wrx as a semi mid life crisis to toy around with. As much as I love the styling of the current model I feel that once the new body comes out it will get old quick.
    As for drivetrain are there any disadvantages of the 2.5L?
    Sorry for the rambling. I know I can wait but I also don't want to be stuck with a new model wrx if it looks like the new imprezas. S

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hi...it is nice to be here

Welcome!

Disadvantages of the 2.5? Depends who you ask! Gas mileage, certainly.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Not to concerned about mpg. Got a beater and during work I can always drive a company vehicle. How often does the timing belt need to be replaced? I know some cars it's every 60k some 90k, 105k..just got spoiled by timing chain motors.
    Reliability of the motors. I can change the oil as much as I want on a frequent basis at work so I'm too worried about that. Are there known issues with the 2.5L how long do these generally last. How's the 5 speed compared to the 6 speed in reliability. What's the rpm range cruising at 65mph on the 5th gear? Does the car use synthetic? I know motors that usually burn more oil shouldn't use synthetic due to residue build up. Valve cover issues? Just seeing valve covers in the upright position worries me. My family owned a salvage yard that I ran for many years, and we sold Subaru motors left and right

wrx>solara. youll be content with your purchase. just do it lol.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Get a Evo X
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jonkim View Post
    Not to concerned about mpg. Got a beater and during work I can always drive a company vehicle. How often does the timing belt need to be replaced? I know some cars it's every 60k some 90k, 105k..just got spoiled by timing chain motors.
    Reliability of the motors. I can change the oil as much as I want on a frequent basis at work so I'm too worried about that. Are there known issues with the 2.5L how long do these generally last. How's the 5 speed compared to the 6 speed in reliability. What's the rpm range cruising at 65mph on the 5th gear? Does the car use synthetic? I know motors that usually burn more oil shouldn't use synthetic due to residue build up. Valve cover issues? Just seeing valve covers in the upright position worries me. My family owned a salvage yard that I ran for many years, and we sold Subaru motors left and right
    105k is the Subaru factory service interval for the timing belt. It is an easy 2-3 hour job if you're somewhat inclined to turn a wrench. There are known issues with every motor. The 2.5 is great as long as you take care of it. The older 5 speeds are considered to be glass but the newer MYs supposedly have stronger ones. Cruising at 65 in 5th gear I was at 2750 RPM. There are valve cover issues on the turbo models because of the extreme heat that is around the passenger side valve cover. It's not really an issue as it is just a more commonly serviced area. Again, not a hard job if you're not complete retard. I'm sure you sold more than Subaru motors. Most Subaru motors go because of owners ignoring their maintenance responsibility rather than mechanical failure.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I Support ClubWRX
    How often does the timing belt need to be replaced?
    105k but I'd do it slightly earlier maybe 90k just so all the services line up; at 90k they require a coolant change but then at 105k you have to dump the coolant again for the job. SO I rolled the 90k and 105k together to save a few $$.

Reliability of the motors.
    Its good, just be diligent on maintenance and don't use inferior oil and filters.

How's the 5 speed compared to the 6 speed in reliability.
    Light years apart. The 5MT is a bark up the ass of a great car, and still a major complaint of mine 7 years on. I have all the mods you can do to tirck yourself into thinking its better than it is; bushings, mounts, short shifter, weighted knob....the feeling is far off the 6MT and so is the reliability. That being said I've been pretty hard on my 5MT and I currently sit at 97k miles. That includes a dozen or so 1/4 mile passes.

Does the car use synthetic?
    Yes you should. I ran Mobile 1 for 95k miles because back when I started everyone loved it. Now everyone hates it and likes Rotella T6. This is my first oil change with T6 so well see. With M1 I burnt .5qts over 3k miles for 95k miles, consistently, which is far within the realm of normal.

Valve cover issues? Just seeing valve covers in the upright position worries me.
    No leaks from mine yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    105k is the Subaru factory service interval for the timing belt. It is an easy 2-3 hour job if you're somewhat inclined to turn a wrench.

Hahahahahahahahahah. They book it at 4-6 hours. 1 stubborn crank pulley, a couple beers, a leaky radiator hose and 11 hours later I was done.
    Most Subaru motors go because of owners ignoring their maintenance responsibility rather than mechanical failure.
    Truf.

Clutches usually need replacement at 70k-100k miles, some people try to stretch it, but you just cheat yourself from the driving experience.

Only downsides to the 2.5L are MPG and timing belt in my book. Especially since the new 2.0t has a timing chain, direct injection, and waay better MPG.

If you want to know what the major services entail, check out the links in my sig vvvvvvv.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by maus View Post
    Get a Evo X
    I drove one, hated it. The 5MT was tacking 4000-4500 RPMs at 75MPH. Interior space sucked for such a big car, trunk was retarded, and the driving dynamics were meh.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

We have a lot Evo X traded in and they all had major issues with less than 60k miles. I'm sure most were abuse from owners but a majority of them have oil leaks and two had major transmission issues on the gsr model with the 5spd

So I finally got to test drive a used WRX at Annapolis Subaru. Got a great trade in value for my toyota and the dealership is DX'ing a WRB premium sedan in for me tomorrow!!
    I really wanted a DGM premium but the one on the lot was sold and none to be found within 100 miles radius. My wife said she prefers the WRB anyway! That was my #1 color choice at heart as I had a daytona blue 350z but I was hesitant about it because Im over 30years old now...

Don't let being over 30 scare you away from the WRB. Go for it!

--Fellow WRB owner.
    2012 Limited World Rally Blue Pearl Subaru Impreza World Rally Xross Sedan ...
    ...On order since 4/14/2012; Received VIN 7/4/2012; ETA 8/6/2012; Delivered 8/9/2012
    OTS AP Stage 1 9/15/2012

So I finally got to test drive a used WRX at Annapolis Subaru. Got a great trade in value for my toyota and the dealership is DX'ing a WRB premium sedan in for me tomorrow!!
    I really wanted a DGM premium but the one on the lot was sold and none to be found within 100 miles radius. My wife said she prefers the WRB anyway! That was my #1 color choice at heart as I had a daytona blue 350z but I was hesitant about it because Im over 30years old now...
    Wait, being over 30 you aren't supposed to get WRB??

Eff. I sure screwed up.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

It's more of my peers at work. I'm a 30year old Asian and I'm the director of our department. The other managers are much older and drive luxury cars. Just makes me fill that Asian stereotype ricer

I can see where you're coming from there; we have a guy here at work that's got a blue STI with gold wheels and tons of stickers... he watches any anime he can get his hands on, has tons of pokemon memorabilia, and is quite asian. He laughs about himself all the time (I think he might do all that on purpose).

My point is, you have competition for filling the stereotype!

Edit: But then, there are like 5 WRX/STIs in my squadron's parking lot so he isn't out of place in the least.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast