Future (hopefully) Owner - First Test Drive

This is a discussion on Future (hopefully) Owner - First Test Drive within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello! Been lurking for a while. After a test drive this weekend figured I'd go ahead and join up. Subies ...

Future (hopefully) Owner - First Test Drive

Hello! Been lurking for a while. After a test drive this weekend figured I'd go ahead and join up. Subies have been on my radar since they brought the STi stateside while I was in high school. I'm close to wrapping up grad school (May '14) and starting my year long externship next month so I'll be in the market sometime in the next 6-12 months hopefully. Local Subaru dealer had an '11 WRX Limited Sedan in SWP and also an '09 Pontiac G8 GT (6.0L V8 anyone?) so I went by and took both for a drive. Fascinating the stark contrast between the two cars (duh, but still interesting to experience back to back). The WRX was definitely a more raw driving experience but the feeling of being pushed back into the seat as boost hits (I didn't go crazy, but I got on it a little). The steering felt fairly quick and light and I was impressed by the level of refinement and the seats in the Limited trim (currently driving a beater 2000 Saturn hand me down from my parents). The G8 was definitely a fun drive too, the E39 M5 of this generation especially in GXP trim with the LS3 and 6M (which is the version I'd want but they are veritable unicorns with only ~1800 produced between A6/M6). Obviously it's a larger, heavier car than the WRX and that was evident in the steering feel but the ride on the highway was silky smooth and the smooth power available was quite evident, looked down and had gone from 55-75 without hardly noticing.

Before this drive I didn't think I'd want a WRX sedan (LOVE the 5 doors) or SWP but in the future I think I'd at least consider it. My preference still greatly leans towards the WRB 5 door but I'd take a DGM, Black, or red also. Other cars on the short list would probably be the G8 GXP 6M and 335i sedan. The new Mazda 6s are definitely intriguing especially if they bring the diesel in a manual. But needless to say, the WRX is on top of the list for the time being. I got out of the car after the test drive and had the biggest grin across my face that just did not want to go away. Love the sound of the exhaust, the clutch was nice and easy (only killed it once and I hadn't driven a manual in probably 2-3 years and not regularly since I was in HS). Needless to say I'm itching to get back in a car with 3 pedals and think the Subaru gets me an awesome balance of performance, safety, function, and all weather capability (kids in the not too distant future)! Not sure if I'll be able to swing new but the WRX Concept was so intriguing I can't wait to see if the production model is anything close to it, either I think I'll be looking at the '11+ models. Love the widebody!

This was a bit of a rambling intro, but I hopefully will be active in this community for the years to come. You guys seem awesome.

And I was going to post a link to the car I drove, but it looks like it has already sold.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome. Best of luck with your purchase.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Welcome and thanks for the rambling intro! Always nice to hear the thoughts of someone new.

Disclaimer: Nothing has been confirmed, stated, released, etc by Subaru at this point, so take anything on the internets with a shaker full of salt. That said, we in the community have recently seen some shots of a camoflagued rex testing at the Nurburgring that doesn't seem to follow the concept's styling all that much. Much disappointment has been expressed. I for one am a very skeptical human being, but even I have to admit that I doubt they would be going to the trouble of putting the crazy black and white camo on a test mule if it weren't pretty close to production.

That said, you may want to still wait and find out the official release information, if you are in a position to take your time, as the drivetrain might be worth it even if the looks aren't.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I'm definitely in a position to take my time. Looking 6-12 months out probably. I just like to be proactive with some things. I saw the Car and Driver pictures of the mule and just hope that it was a powertrain mule not a body mule. If it ends up not being close to concept I'll probably stick with an '11 or '12 but like you point out, the powertrain change could make all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by AuD14 View Post
    I'm definitely in a position to take my time. Looking 6-12 months out probably. I just like to be proactive with some things. I saw the Car and Driver pictures of the mule and just hope that it was a powertrain mule not a body mule. If it ends up not being close to concept I'll probably stick with an '11 or '12 but like you point out, the powertrain change could make all the difference.
    Could!

The mule I was referring to was just in the past few weeks or less, with the usual crazy black and white camo? There've been a bunch of mules, none camo-ed until now.
    - Will

Same mule! I saw pictures of the black and white mule on the car and driver website. Didn't realize there had been prior non-camo mules.

Quote Originally Posted by AuD14 View Post
    Same mule! I saw pictures of the black and white mule on the car and driver website. Didn't realize there had been prior non-camo mules.
    Oh yes, which were an endless source of frustration on my part. We would regularly have someone pop up on the forum, not do any searching, and proudly proclaim that they had in fact seen the One True Next Gen WRX, and then proceed to post pictures that we had ineviteably seen before. To those pictures I would typically fashion a nice polite reply to the tune of "We've seen those before, Subaru has not made anything official, hold your horses." In my mind, though, there would be thoughts more along the lines of "Oh, really? That car with the taped on hood scoop and sawz-alled exhaust cutouts is the next WRX?"

At least things seem to be getting closer to the real deal. If that camo mule is it, then they certainly dropped the ball with styling. Might as well have not released that concept at all, it just got everyone's hopes up! But again, maybe the drivetrain will be the big improvement, and make the car still worth it. People will buy it regardless I imagine.
    - Will

Yeah if they keep the widebody and swap to direct injection I'd give it a long look. But the mules sure don't look like a step up.