New Member looking for fun off-road work vehicle

This is a discussion on New Member looking for fun off-road work vehicle within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello! Looking for an early WRX wagon.... my job requires that I find an awd vehicle so that I can ...

New Member looking for fun off-road work vehicle

Hello!
    Looking for an early WRX wagon.... my job requires that I find an awd vehicle so that I can take it to our different mine sites. This involves some light off-roading. Everyone I work with gets trucks and suv's, but I want to make it fun.
    I will putting on some AT tires, and keeping it stock except for a possible 1 inch lift.

I previously had an early 2.5 RS (looked like European WRX). Excellent car, but not enough room for the baby seats. Now, they wear seatbelts.

Andrew

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Depends what "light off-roading" means.
    I've taken my WRX through a mountain surrounded by trucks and jeeps. But it wasn't THAT fun. At stock height I had to avoid almost everything, plus suspension is so stiff that you'll feel EVERY little rock, that gets old real quick. Granted this was on all-season tires.

You can get it to work, I'd throw on Forester struts. But then you'll have an off-road WRX. While awesome, it looses it's practicality.

Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    Depends what "light off-roading" means.
    I've taken my WRX through a mountain surrounded by trucks and jeeps. But it wasn't THAT fun. At stock height I had to avoid almost everything, plus suspension is so stiff that you'll feel EVERY little rock, that gets old real quick. Granted this was on all-season tires.

You can get it to work, I'd throw on Forester struts. But then you'll have an off-road WRX. While awesome, it looses it's practicality.
    I've done what I would consider some light offroading too, and along with the bumps bouncing all around, if its bumpy enough to bounce you around, chances are you're gunna wanna be crawling forward, and while I was doing so, I didnt feel like staying really low in the RPM's in first gear was all that great for the trans. alot of bucking and growling as id accelerate.

Light off-roading will mean 98% driving on paved road, and the remaining will be be a variety of graveled roads. Rocks won't be a common occurrence, although steep grades and shallow mud will be there occasionally.

The fun part is getting to where I have to be, and getting better mpg than a full size pickup.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by macleodm3 View Post
    Light off-roading will mean 98% driving on paved road, and the remaining will be be a variety of graveled roads. Rocks won't be a common occurrence, although steep grades and shallow mud will be there occasionally.

The fun part is getting to where I have to be, and getting better mpg than a full size pickup.

Andrew
    Hmm, graveled roads are't bad, infact I've had my fair share of 'fun' on them in my '11 STi. Whole bunch of fun to be had on gravels roads, as long as there no spots to bottom out. I'd say mud that the car isnt 'beached' on (frame laying ontop of mud surface) it will go right through absolutely no problems (and even some mud thats not think I'm sure you could get through a nice 4-5 inch puddle of it). Steep grades are what concern me the most, although Subaru's are much higher off the ground then most sports cars they compete with, they are still low, and you may hit the front bumper if the grade is too steep in the beginning.

Paging Gregroot...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

dirtyimpreza will have all the answers you need as far as suspension setup options and related experiences for everything from back roads and rallycross to full on stage rally and even one or two baja setups.