Mods! Where do I start and what is safe?

This is a discussion on Mods! Where do I start and what is safe? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone, glad to be part of subaru team. I finally got my 2003 Black WRX wagon which I love. ...

Mods! Where do I start and what is safe?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	daf.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	113375Hey everyone, glad to be part of subaru team. I finally got my 2003 Black WRX wagon which I love. It's a sweet little beast but I would like to make more power out of it without hurting it so much. Where do I start with mods? It already got a full straight pipe exhaust (sounds awesome). Tokico gas shocks with "fat" racing springs (I looked those up, I think they are not that bad), everything else is stock. I want to go for 300hp at this point. Planning to boost it up to 450hp later, with a bigger turbo.
    Is it safe to go 300hp on a stock WRX turbo?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Hi, follow the link in my signature.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by elijah.smith View Post
    I would like to make more power out of it without hurting it so much... Planning to boost it up to 450hp later, with a bigger turbo.
    Those two are mutally exclusive. If you're dead serious about such a goal, include multiple engine and drivetrain rebuilds/replacements in your budget.
    See this: I want 400WHP!!!1!juan!
    If you're still serious, I'd give either Bobby at PRE or the guys Cobb Surgeline in Tualatin a call and ask about a custom build. That's going to be very costly, but you've gotta pay to play, and we're lucky to have two very highly respected Subaru tuning shops in the Portland area.

How many miles on it?
    What part of PDX? I'm in the Tualatin area.
    Last edited by Rambo; 04-15-2013 at 02:56 PM.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Welp...you should start with figuring out what has been done to it. By straight pipe, do you mean it's just an open pipe from the turbo back? Or is it a DP and CBE (turbo back exhaust)? Either way, if it has some sort of aftermarket downpipe that has deleted the cats, then you should be tuned...that would be Stage 2 if so.

Otherwise...you have to start doing a lot of reading. The stock TD04 turbo won't be capable of 300hp...you're looking at a swap to get to that number but you also need the supporting mods and a tune to do that as well.

If you're looking at 450hp later...you're looking at a new car.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I got 135k miles on the body and 112k on the motor, pretty sure that it has a catback. What supporting mods will i have to do iif i swap in vf39? What approximate power gains will i have? Thanks for your help.

Mods you may need is a Cobb ap and vf39 a Sti tmic and fuel pump and injectors for the 2.0 boxer

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jasontee1 View Post
    Mods you may need is a Cobb ap and vf39 a Sti tmic and fuel pump and injectors for the 2.0 boxer
    An STI intercooler isn't going help much, other than maybe some added knock protection against the 92 octane gas we're stuck with. Your money would be far better spent on a quality aftermarket TMIC like Process West. If you're going for a large engine build anyway, don't waste time on the STI intercooler.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by jasontee1 View Post
    You only need at least 565cc injectors (fuel pump is suggested though), and an appropriate tune, whether it's an Accessport map, or a protune of some sorts. Doesn't have to be an AP. STI TMIC is negligible.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    You only need at least 565cc injectors (fuel pump is suggested though), and an appropriate tune, whether it's an Accessport map, or a protune of some sorts. Doesn't have to be an AP. STI TMIC is negligible.
    STi TMIC has better cooling capability by virtue of the thermal mass increase over the stock WRX intercooler. It IS an upgrade. However, the pressure drop across the core of the STi TMIC (tube-and-fin) is still around 3 PSI -- similar to the stock WRX intercooler. A quality bar-and-plate TMIC has more thermal mass (despite a smaller size) and considerably less pressure drop -- a quality piece will drop less than 1 PSI at 20 PSI manifold relative pressure. This is a considerable increase to the total volumetric efficiency of the motor.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    STi TMIC has better cooling capability by virtue of the thermal mass increase over the stock WRX intercooler. It IS an upgrade. However, the pressure drop across the core of the STi TMIC (tube-and-fin) is still around 3 PSI -- similar to the stock WRX intercooler. A quality bar-and-plate TMIC has more thermal mass (despite a smaller size) and considerably less pressure drop -- a quality piece will drop less than 1 PSI at 20 PSI manifold relative pressure. This is a considerable increase to the total volumetric efficiency of the motor.
    I love it when you talk dirty to me.

One important distinction to make is if you are talking about wheel horsepower or not. A good stage 2 setup (downpipe and tune), should get you to 300 crank horsepower.

Thanks everyone for advice, i really do aprreciate every advice since i'm a noob at this for now. I was interested in opensource ecu tuning. What cable do i buy and what software do you recommend that works with my 03 wrx?