New to the forums, don't have a car yet..
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New to the forums, don't have a car yet.. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi all. I came from the 'other' big site that features subarus and was rudely shutdown on my first post ...

New to the forums, don't have a car yet..

Hi all. I came from the 'other' big site that features subarus and was rudely shutdown on my first post by a seemingly know-it-all mod. I just wanted to know what I was getting into with subies as a first time buyer so hopefully i can find a place that will share some knowlege with me as i ask stupid questions :-p

I don't have a subie yet, but I am looking at the WRX as my first at the moment.
    no car...yet...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Get a Evo X
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

Registered User Subaru-Mopar-Luv's Avatar
    Wrong. Civics are where it's at.
    Speed never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you. -Jeremy Clarkson

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

go sti!!!!!! the trans is worth the extra money

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by maus View Post
    Get a Evo X
    This.

Welcome!

Beamed at your face at approx. 186,000 miles per second via DROID BIONIC
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Thanks for the welcome everyone! Much better than that other place so far.

Unfortunately, I'm limited by budget and trade-in.. So probably no Evo for me
    I'm looking at the wrx used because, well...more money for mods, honestly. And I don't mind used cars. My biggest questions are:

Should I bother going automatic since it's difficult to find manual gearboxes (at least so far it has been in my area)
    And
    What year should I be trying to avoid? Is there a range I should look at more closely than the rest due to potential problems of any kind?

Mainly, this vehicle will be a daily, but I do want to get up to 300hp at some point. I've never owned anything more than 200 and frankly, I don't know what I'm missing. I'd like to. It will also be used to haul small k-9's and possibly children in it's lifetime, so a hatch is definitely a welcome thing for the utter convenience of it all.

My budget is 14k or under. I don't know if that's reasonable or not...I'd be ok spending a little more if the car is just perfect, but we all know they never come that way.
    no car...yet...

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by invalidusername View Post
    Thanks for the welcome everyone! Much better than that other place so far.

Unfortunately, I'm limited by budget and trade-in.. So probably no Evo for me
    I'm looking at the wrx used because, well...more money for mods, honestly. And I don't mind used cars. My biggest questions are:

Should I bother going automatic since it's difficult to find manual gearboxes (at least so far it has been in my area)
    And
    What year should I be trying to avoid? Is there a range I should look at more closely than the rest due to potential problems of any kind?

Mainly, this vehicle will be a daily, but I do want to get up to 300hp at some point. I've never owned anything more than 200 and frankly, I don't know what I'm missing. I'd like to. It will also be used to haul small k-9's and possibly children in it's lifetime, so a hatch is definitely a welcome thing for the utter convenience of it all.

My budget is 14k or under. I don't know if that's reasonable or not...I'd be ok spending a little more if the car is just perfect, but we all know they never come that way.
    Search for a manual.

Avoid 2008

For that budget I would try and find an 02-07 Wagon with lower mileage (70k or less).
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I found a hatch in red with legitimate BBS's in an auto for 11k....but auto. Thing is I think it has pretty high mileage
    no car...yet...

I Support ClubWRX
    Have a look at the how-to-buy threads in the purchasing forum.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+1 stay away from 08

Cool, thanks. I head the 08's were dogs and the 09+'s are much better.
    no car...yet...

Whale cum to the site. + 100 on the 09 WRX. The only thing that I have run into with the 09+ is the stock clutch seems to go out pretty fast but other then that everything else seems tight.

What is it with that clutch, is it made of glass or something?
    no car...yet...

I Support ClubWRX
    I hate to break it to you but your budget of $14k and under kind of cuts out 09+

Will it be possible to find one for that price, yes. Are you likely to want to buy an 09+ that is that cheap, no.

My suggestion is as I said before. Try to find a nice 02-07 Wagon with lower mileage and a good service history. Otherwise you will need to bring a higher budget to the table.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.