New to the form, bought an 05 STI
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New to the form, bought an 05 STI within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi, I just recently bought a 05 Wrx sti, I'm waiting for delivery of it, but already planning out what ...

New to the form, bought an 05 STI

Hi,

I just recently bought a 05 Wrx sti, I'm waiting for delivery of it, but already planning out what I want to do, definetly an exhaust film VAT back for now then ill get a turbo back( is it true the cel will go on if i don't tune it right away with a down pipe and up pipe?) I want to get a turbo timer, as well as a boost controller? I read confusing stuff on a boost controller, will it work with an 05 sti? I also want to get a bov(love the sound, don't flame me for it, what's the best one I can get?) I don't need crazy power as this will be my every day driver, I have a 2010 camaro ss wit crazy power as is,
    But I love the sound of the Wrx, so any suggestions you guys can help me with that would be great. Thanks guys

Jeff

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome Jeff!

A few considerations here:

( is it true the cel will go on if i don't tune it right away with a down pipe and up pipe?)
    You should NOT run a downpipe on your car without tuning for it immediately. Yes, there will be a CEL, and yes, it may damage your car. An uppipe is not really a cost-conscious modification for your car at this point.

I want to get a turbo timer
    You don't. It's a waste of money and does nothing besides waste gas.

as well as a boost controller? I read confusing stuff on a boost controller
    A 3-port (interrupt-style) EBCS is an excellent modification as it will improve spool and transient response. However, your car will need to be tuned for an EBCS. Stay away from running a manual boost controller alone, as the ECU cannot control boost and you will suffer from a phenomenon known as PTFB.

I also want to get a bov(love the sound, don't flame me for it, what's the best one I can get?)
    I would highly recommend you stay away from a BOV, as the stock BPV is more than adequate in handling boost pressures under 20 PSI. However, if you REALLY want the sound (most consider it ricey), go with a 50/50 BOV/BPV instead of a full VTA BOV. If you are interested in the sound from a driver perspective, a snorkus delete will actually allow you to hear the stock BPV "psshh" through the intake.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Welcome Jeff!

A few considerations here:

You should NOT run a downpipe on your car without tuning for it immediately. Yes, there will be a CEL, and yes, it may damage your car. An uppipe is not really a cost-conscious modification for your car at this point.

Ok, gotcha, I read this some where.

You don't. It's a waste of money and does nothing besides waste gas.

Noted, and thanks I won't get one. Just thought it was a good idea..

A 3-port (interrupt-style) EBCS is an excellent modification as it will improve spool and transient response. However, your car will need to be tuned for an EBCS. Stay away from running a manual boost controller alone, as the ECU cannot control boost and you will suffer from a phenomenon known as PTFB.

What's an ebcs?, not to be a pain but can ou send me a link to that?

I would highly recommend you stay away from a BOV, as the stock BPV is more than adequate in handling boost pressures under 20 PSI. However, if you REALLY want the sound (most consider it ricey), go with a 50/50 BOV/BPV instead of a full VTA BOV. If you are interested in the sound from a driver perspective, a snorkus delete will actually allow you to hear the stock BPV "psshh" through the intake.
    a link to this one as well?

Now I just gotta find a good tuner in NY

Thanks for your response zax

And also is the 3-port (interrupt-style) EBCS a boost controller, or is it Something else? I was gonna do electronic goose control.... Sorry new to turbo.

zax
    Yes, many different manufacturers produce 3-port Boost Solenoids. Among the most popular are:

Perrin EBCS Pro
    Cobb Tuning 3-port BCS
    Grimmspeed 3-port EBCS
    General Motors 3-port EBCS (this is the OEM part on the GMC Syclone and Typhoon IIRC)

The first three are direct-fitment, while the General Motors part will require splicing to function. AFAIK, the GM unit is the cheapest, but purportedly the Perrin is the easiest to tune. I run the Grimmspeed EBCS in my hybrid boost control strategy.

Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffny09 View Post
    I have this BPV (long story), it seems to work for me, but many have complained about poor quality.

Facebook me here

Couldn't of said it better Zax +1
    ++ + ++P3LLA++ + ++

06 STi ( Stage II ) BOOSTED
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE # 808

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Yes, many different manufacturers produce 3-port Boost Solenoids. Among the most popular are:

Perrin EBCS Pro
    Cobb Tuning 3-port BCS
    Grimmspeed 3-port EBCS
    General Motors 3-port EBCS (this is the OEM part on the GMC Syclone and Typhoon IIRC)

The first three are direct-fitment, while the General Motors part will require splicing to function. AFAIK, the GM unit is the cheapest, but purportedly the Perrin is the easiest to tune. I run the Grimmspeed EBCS in my hybrid boost control strategy.
    I will look into the Grimm speed and Perrin, not looking for the cheapest route, but the best....can you change the boost with these?

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffny09 View Post
    I will look into the Grimm speed and Perrin, not looking for the cheapest route, but the best....can you change the boost with these?
    Your ECU handles boost. You can't just "change boost" anyhow without addressing spark timing.

Facebook me here

Okay, that's what I was getting at! So then what is a boost controller for?

I Support ClubWRX
    A "boost controller" in the sense you're referring to is just a manual boost controller with servo on top so it can be adjusted from inside the car. As Zax said, your ECU controls boost targets dynamically with engine RPM and throttle position angle. The stock boost control system uses a bleed-type pneumatic system to actuate the turbo wastegate, which is a straightforward to tune and not very complicated, but an aftermarket EBCS will allow for faster boost response. None are plug and play, though. They all require tuning by an experienced tuner familiar with Subaru's boost control systems.

A manual boost controller bypasses ECU boost control entirely, which obvious removes the engine's ability to limit boost if there is a problem. Check out this technical thread on how all of this works:
    WTF Tuning Part 2: The Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control.

As a follow up to everything Zax mentioned, check out the first modification sticky for more information in planning your mod path.

First Modifications - what to do and not to do
    Last edited by Rambo; 04-02-2013 at 03:32 PM.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Thanks Rambo and zap you guys have been great help. Now I just have to find a reputable tuner here in ny and I'll be good!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffny09
    Thanks Rambo and zap you guys have been great help. Now I just have to find a reputable tuner here in ny and I'll be good!
    Where in NY?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Where in NY?
    Queens ny

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast