Buying a wrx, need some clarification please.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Buying a wrx, need some clarification please. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So my wife and I got screwed on a Honda lease, and after reading about the mazdaspeed3, I went to ...

Buying a wrx, need some clarification please.

So my wife and I got screwed on a Honda lease, and after reading about the mazdaspeed3, I went to drive one. The dealer happened to own both Mazda and Subaru. They let us do a 24hr test drive, and afterwards I have never wanted any car as bad as this. Throughout the entire negotiations, they kept saying "were not sure we can go lower on payments because the bank might not go for it (doesnt the GM handle this, not the bank?). They wouldn't match what my wife wanted them to for payments on the wrx, and she was eyeballing the crossteck all night, so I decided to get it for her and wait to get my wrx till later. 1 day and my wife decided she would rather have her corolla, so told me to return the crosstrek and get my wrx. Since the dealer has a 5 day no questions asked return, I said no problem. Now when I told them and tried to return it, they are saying I will probably have 20% interest rate instead of the 5% I was already approved with last night. I asked them why, and they said because I am moving from a family car to a race car. I said that's ridiculous, I was already approved last night and we almost had a deal on the wrx. Then they changed the subject and said wait till they can talk to the bank on Monday.

So at this point, I'm pretty fed up with them. But what bothers me is that they keep saying that they have to check with the bank every time we make a counter offer on payments and such. I have never seen a car dealer act like this. Please tell me that this is just a game they are playing? Because there is another dealer who wants is to come there.

Also glad to be here, I can't wait to get my wrx.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd buy somewhere else or just forget about the whole thing frankly. First thing that came to my mind. One of the site vendors is a dealer; if you are nearby contact him. Walk away from the existing dealer.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd buy somewhere else or just forget about the whole thing frankly. First thing that came to my mind. One of the site vendors is a dealer; if you are nearby contact him. Walk away from the existing dealer and/or the car entirely. It's just a car. They make more all the time.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

screw that, i didn't even step in to a dealership until i had knocked the price down to invoice at multiple dealerships and tried to leverage my way from there.

and 20% is ridiculous. move on to another dealership.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedfx View Post
    they are saying I will probably have 20% interest rate instead of the 5% I was already approved with last night. I asked them why, and they said because I am moving from a family car to a race car.
    WTF.

Where are you located?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Thanks for the replies. The GM of the dealer emailed me about customer satisfaction, so I told him everything. He is looking into it, and said he will get back to me to fix this problem.

I am located in Tempe AZ

As a dealer I can tell you that they are trying to screw you. There is no reason why your interest rate would jump up from going to one Subaru model to another. Especially if they are both new cars. The dealer profits if they "sell" you a rate for more then they buy it from the bank. As for the bank not taking a lower payment? Total BS. They are just trying to hold profit.

Move on to another dealer, I suggest sending out an online inquiry beforehand as it saves you from having to negotiate. A good deal on a new WRX would be at, or slightly below invoice price. Be sure to ask to see the invoice! As for financing, call up your local credit union to see what you can qualify for.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more car buying questions.
    -Alex- 2012 WRX 5dr / World Rally Blue / Stage 3+Stig
    I sell Subarus in the Denver area!

I Support ClubWRX
    Get financing elsewhere. Look into a credit union.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

i say EFF that dealership yo! they are trying to do nothing but screw you hard with no KY jelly. and thats not nice. i was just about to suggest what ej257 said. open an account with a credit union and get a loan from them. they are great and will work with you tons. thats what i did and i got my 2011 wrx for $325/mo. with only 4.9% interest. 20% is absolutely obsurd. ive had a lot of experience with buying cars and have never heard of that before. i went car shopping with my mom a afew months ago to get her a new car, she has terrible credit, like under 500 credit score kinda bad. and she got less than 20%. good lucky mate, go somewhere else lol. look on cars.com

What dealer in az?
    2012 Wrx SWP Hatch-Traded
    2013 Limited ISM Hatch -Current

Thank you everyone again for the help. I keep hearing on the radio about NAVY federal credit union, and that they offer loans to Air Force as well as veterans, so I will check them out.

This dealer is the Camelback Mazda/Subaru/VW dealer on Camelback and 16th st.

I am currently using my Costco membership to get $500 below msrp I think. Any better deals out there?

I bought both my cars from power Subaru of scottsdale and got a really good deal. 1st car 2012 $1600 under msrp, 2013 1800 under Msrp. Pm me your phone number I can help you get a good deal.
    2012 Wrx SWP Hatch-Traded
    2013 Limited ISM Hatch -Current

Going to power Subaru today.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedfx View Post
    Thank you everyone again for the help. I keep hearing on the radio about NAVY federal credit union, and that they offer loans to Air Force as well as veterans, so I will check them out.

This dealer is the Camelback Mazda/Subaru/VW dealer on Camelback and 16th st.

I am currently using my Costco membership to get $500 below msrp I think. Any better deals out there?
    If you are a veteran or active duty you will most likely find your best rate through USAA. I just did a deal with them the other day on a used car for 2.25%.In mg experience they have the best rates. And no, $500 off is not great. Like I said before, your target should be invoice. You can get a rough feel for invoice pricing on Edmunds.com
    -Alex- 2012 WRX 5dr / World Rally Blue / Stage 3+Stig
    I sell Subarus in the Denver area!

The dealer is probably not telling you what they are selling you the car for, just what the monthly payment is. That's because they would you to know a little as posssible about what your paying for.

To do things right, start with the purchase price of the car. How much are they selling you the car for. If I write you a check right now, what number do I write on the check to drive away and never hear from you guys again?

Once you have that number, then start on financing. You should know what your credit looks like before you shop for a loan. Creditkarma.com can be helpful.

Go see what special financing deals Subaru offers. Find out why you may not be qualifying for that deal. Have you had any late payments? Any negative marks on your credit report? If so, that can easily be a problem. Could be the difference between 0.9% and 16.9%. If your close, a good finance manager will call the bank (Subaru motor finance deals are done through Chase Bank) and ask if there is anything they can do. A past history of clean car loans may very well get you a killer rate even if your score is a little low.

If that does not work out, you have the cost of the car, go shop for a loan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast