Cobb s/s and bushings vs. Kartboy s/s and bushings
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

This is a discussion on Cobb s/s and bushings vs. Kartboy s/s and bushings within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm going to add a short throw and do the front and rear bushings as my first mod. Any experienced ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    11

    Cobb s/s and bushings vs. Kartboy s/s and bushings

    I'm going to add a short throw and do the front and rear bushings as my first mod. Any experienced people have feedback on either setup? Is one better than the other as far as quality and shifting action?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    310
    the cobb is double adjustable, so you can make it exactly what you want. and people will go back and forth about the bushings. but people mix and match. i plan on getting the cobb s/s and the kartyboy bushings

  4. #3
    Pro Manscaper Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    21,190
    I have a KB shifter and bushings. The shifter is simple...makes you shift shorter. I like it. If you want the adjustability, go for the Cobb unit though I really don't think its that big of a deal.

    Bushings will be bushings. They do the same thing as long as they are made of similar materials and replace the soft stockers. Go for whatever is cheapest.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

  5. #4
    Registered User MercRising's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Littleton
    Posts
    189
    Agree with ^^^^

    Main choice here is which shift lever you like the idea of more. Bushings are very similar throughout the mfg's. I'm sure they're a tiny but different but we'd be hard pressed to tell. I've been on the KB Short Shifter and Torque Solutions front shifter bushings, still stock rear bushing.

    Honestly, the final 2 steps here are Group-N Trans mount and Positive Shift kit. You can score both for under $100 and it makes the whole shift experience feel like a well oiled precision gun bolt action....distinct and purposful Pretty sick how much more legit it felt after those two items tied with the SS and front shifter bushings.

    word!

  6. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by MercRising View Post
    Agree with ^^^^

    Main choice here is which shift lever you like the idea of more. Bushings are very similar throughout the mfg's. I'm sure they're a tiny but different but we'd be hard pressed to tell. I've been on the KB Short Shifter and Torque Solutions front shifter bushings, still stock rear bushing.

    Honestly, the final 2 steps here are Group-N Trans mount and Positive Shift kit. You can score both for under $100 and it makes the whole shift experience feel like a well oiled precision gun bolt action....distinct and purposful Pretty sick how much more legit it felt after those two items tied with the SS and front shifter bushings.

    word!
    That sounds great. Thanks for the info. I'm trying to get this whole shifter deal figured out before the car comes in, whenever that is. I've been waiting since Feb. 13th. Hopefully I'll get the good news soon.

  7. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5
    Very helpful MercRising. I just got my '13 WRX a couple weeks ago. I was a long 7+ year honda Si owner and member of ephatch.com. Now starting to try and learn about this car in detail and this website.

    Have trouble finding the answers I am looking for a lot of time on here.
    Looking for a DIY writeup on these various components and also your guys preferred website/vendor for purchasing.

    Thanks!

  8. #7
    Registered User MercRising's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Littleton
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl'sWRX'13 View Post
    Very helpful MercRising. I just got my '13 WRX a couple weeks ago. I was a long 7+ year honda Si owner and member of ephatch.com. Now starting to try and learn about this car in detail and this website.

    Have trouble finding the answers I am looking for a lot of time on here.
    Looking for a DIY writeup on these various components and also your guys preferred website/vendor for purchasing.

    Thanks!
    Which ones you trying to find? Look on the Mfg's page and often the parts come with PDF's with instructions. Also try searching Google for "2010 WRX ###### install" or maybe 2011 even because most engine/chassis wise will be the same. You'll see results from most of the bigger forums including this one.

    I'll try to get a bunch of the install links built into my profile on 3G too. Haven't built one here much yet......

  9. #8
    Registered User kprugbyplaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lansdale, PA
    Posts
    311
    Since you are going to be installing that, you should look into this as well.. might as well get this and install it

    STI Transmission Mount Subaru 5MT Models (inc. 2002-2013 WRX) at RallySportDirect.com

    FYI: this tends to be a little loud kinda annoying but other than that, the reviews are good and the functionality of the product seems really good, according to the description.
    \_(ツ)_/
    Kunal - Ordered 2015 DGM WRX
    Photographer | Dancer | Tech Nerd | The Stink-Eye Mob #7
    First Mods: What and what not to do
    2011+ Big Mod Thread
    How to Buy a Used WRX or STI
    Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist

  10. #9
    Registered User MercRising's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Littleton
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by kprugbyplaya View Post
    Since you are going to be installing that, you should look into this as well.. might as well get this and install it

    STI Transmission Mount Subaru 5MT Models (inc. 2002-2013 WRX) at RallySportDirect.com

    FYI: this tends to be a little loud kinda annoying but other than that, the reviews are good and the functionality of the product seems really good, according to the description.
    Agreed^^^^^^ Tiny bit more tranny whine but, pulls the whole user interface with shifter and gear box together no doubt!

  11. #10
    Registered User kprugbyplaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lansdale, PA
    Posts
    311
    Look into the Pitch stop mount

    you can do that later but just a advice

    Thanks to maus for that.
    \_(ツ)_/
    Kunal - Ordered 2015 DGM WRX
    Photographer | Dancer | Tech Nerd | The Stink-Eye Mob #7
    First Mods: What and what not to do
    2011+ Big Mod Thread
    How to Buy a Used WRX or STI
    Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist

  12. #11
    Registered User SomeGoalie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    137
    If you decide to go with the Kartboy shifter you can find combo deals with the SS and bushings to save some money. I believe both Turn In Concepts and RallySportDirect have combos available.

  13. #12
    Registered User kprugbyplaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lansdale, PA
    Posts
    311
    \_(ツ)_/
    Kunal - Ordered 2015 DGM WRX
    Photographer | Dancer | Tech Nerd | The Stink-Eye Mob #7
    First Mods: What and what not to do
    2011+ Big Mod Thread
    How to Buy a Used WRX or STI
    Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist

  14. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by kprugbyplaya View Post
    Awesome! Thank you sir. Looks like I'll have plenty of money to take care of all the shifting issues at once. I just found out I won a FREE Cobb AP as part of their giveaway. My car can't get here soon enough.

  15. #14
    Registered User kprugbyplaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lansdale, PA
    Posts
    311
    Congrats!

    You can save the pitch stop for later if you don't have money but def the STS kit and the group n mount should be installed together to make it easier.
    \_(ツ)_/
    Kunal - Ordered 2015 DGM WRX
    Photographer | Dancer | Tech Nerd | The Stink-Eye Mob #7
    First Mods: What and what not to do
    2011+ Big Mod Thread
    How to Buy a Used WRX or STI
    Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist

  16. #15
    Registered User MercRising's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Littleton
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepySedan View Post
    Awesome! Thank you sir. Looks like I'll have plenty of money to take care of all the shifting issues at once. I just found out I won a FREE Cobb AP as part of their giveaway. My car can't get here soon enough.
    SICK DEAL HUH, that's bad-a that you scored a free AP!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •