Thinking about getting rid of my E46 and modified Jeep for an 09 WRX

This is a discussion on Thinking about getting rid of my E46 and modified Jeep for an 09 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have an 01 Jeep Wrangler with lockers, lower gears and other off road modifications. I also have an 02 ...

Thinking about getting rid of my E46 and modified Jeep for an 09 WRX

I have an 01 Jeep Wrangler with lockers, lower gears and other off road modifications. I also have an 02 330i with the sport and premium package. My Jeep has 80k miles and is not very practical for hauling the kids and other stuff. The 4 banger in the Jeep is not fun on interstate and its near impossible to haul my basketball stuff (I coach) and anything else (including players) in the Jeep at the same time. It is however unstoppable in the snow. I love being able to put it in 1st gear and not touch the brakes going down a hill and it will go through anything. My BMW has 40k miles, it's fun, gets good mileage, comfortable and roomy enough for the wife and kids to take on trips.

I love the idea of having an AWD that makes good power and handles well. I also like that Subaru's have a good reputation for reliability but the possible ringland issues scares me a little. I could probably pick up an 09 with the case I get from my two vehicles and have money left over for goodies such as some lightweight (maybe volk) wheels and sticky tires for the summer. This article also makes me think the 09 would be a good choice

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX - Testing the 2009 Subaru Impreza WRX 5-door - Motor Trend

The numbers in there are better than the fastest car I've been looking at, the 335xi.

My questions, how common are the ringland issues in 09's? I would want heated seats and the best stereo available, what packages include these things? Are there any other packages or options that are must haves?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Howdy!

The ringland issue was restricted to a certain rather small build window in 09 IIRC. These should help:
    2009 WRX engine failure VIN/build date owner list - NASIOC
    2009 model year Engine failures - the debate

I think the heated seats came in the limited package in 09. Maybe an owner of one of the newer ones can confirm. FYI all stereos from Subaru suck, but luckily it is mainly just the Head Unit. Youll be better off changing it out.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE