Weird Sound Coming from Engine Bay when cold
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Weird Sound Coming from Engine Bay when cold within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys I have a 2011 WRX Stage 2 with invidia downpipe. Today it was about 28 degrees outside in ...

Weird Sound Coming from Engine Bay when cold

Hey guys

I have a 2011 WRX Stage 2 with invidia downpipe. Today it was about 28 degrees outside in NY. While I proceeding to get on the highway, I heard a weird screechy kinda sound when I was in boost. Unfortunately I didn't have the datalogger in at the time to tell you how much boost was being applied at the moment but I would say I should have been around peak boost. Has this happened to anybody? I was wondering if maybe it was the wastegate just making noise because the air temp was cold and the engine was still in the process of warming up (temp needle not in the middle of hot and cold but not sitting at cold either). Since I went Stage 2 about two weeks ago I still don't know all the "sounds" that will appear yet. Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like you might have a boost leak - check all the hoses from the turbo to the throttle body and check the bypass valve gasket/seal. Most likely would be the hose connection from the turbo toward the intercooler and the BPV connection.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

The last time I performed a datalog, everything appeared to be in order, and when I installed the downpipe, I never removed the TMIC. BPV is from GFB and I replaced that gasket with the one they gave me. And on top of that when the outside temp is warmer I have never heard this sound. But I will do a check out of those things as soon as I get out of work today because with my luck even with things I haven't touched yet.... there probably is a problem. Thanks for your advice. Anybody else had this happen to them?

Quote Originally Posted by WillSubyWRX View Post
    The last time I performed a datalog, everything appeared to be in order, and when I installed the downpipe, I never removed the TMIC. BPV is from GFB and I replaced that gasket with the one they gave me. And on top of that when the outside temp is warmer I have never heard this sound. But I will do a check out of those things as soon as I get out of work today because with my luck even with things I haven't touched yet.... there probably is a problem. Thanks for your advice. Anybody else had this happen to them?
    Yes. Many 3rd gen cars develop a boost leak right where Myco suggested.

Boost Leak? 2012 WRX
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I had it happen within 1000 first miles on my 2012 WRX...sounded like someone stretched the end of a balloon and let the air out...horrible screeching sound. Hose popped off.

You shouldn't be driving your car hard or hitting full boost until everything is fully warmed up

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSea View Post
    You shouldn't be driving your car hard or hitting full boost until everything is fully warmed up
    ^^^This!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    When I was cleaning my TMIC, I forgot to fully torque the BPV bolts, and it made a horrible screaming noise on my bugeye. It was like I'd just run over one of those screaming sheep videos. Torqued it back down and never saw the issue again.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

So I took a look around the engine bay and looked around the TMIC and tightened the clamp on their, made sure the bypass valve was on snug, even went towards the intake and adjusted the clamps there. When its all nice and warm outside, as it was today, did some 3rd and 4th gear pulls and no noise. Earlier when it was cold, did the same thing and the noise magically appeared.

Yes I agree... bad decision to not let the car fully warm up but I figured it may have been alright because I didn't do the pull at the immediate start up and she was almost there in temperature (almost in the middle of the temp gauge).... and on top of that *******s who purposely will speed up in the right lane as you are trying to enter a highway which drives me crazy.

Anyway, I ran a datalog and I don't seem to be having boost issues and I'm assuming (hope I'm right) that if I had a boost leak, it should show on the data file because I would be having trouble building boost.

I think its coming from my side of the vehicle. And the only two things that should be there are the BPV and Intercooler... and for some reason I'm leaning towards the BPV... is it possible that a lubrication issue could be occurring due to cold which is why I hear a screeching sound?... Thanks for all your help so far guys.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.