Cobb AP - DIY vs professional tuning

This is a discussion on Cobb AP - DIY vs professional tuning within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; New to the club and to the modding scene. Subaru Impreza WRX '07, never modded/tuned. After reading for a few ...

Cobb AP - DIY vs professional tuning

New to the club and to the modding scene. Subaru Impreza WRX '07, never modded/tuned. After reading for a few hours it seems that stage 1 tuning is a no-brainer. Question is, should I buy Cobb AP and do it myself (and re-tune as I get to stage 2) or do I go to a professional tuner with Dyno equipment (I happened to have one really close). Does professional tuning do anything other than loading a profile from Cobb AP?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    On the 07 stage 1 makes a difference, but stage 2 is where you want to be. I wouldn't waste the money personally on a dyno tune for stage 1. I'd wait and have a protune map made for stage 2.

There are many threads on here detailing out the difference between an open source tune and an AP map flash.

I have a Cobb AP with a custom map made by a dyno tuner. The AP was used to load the map.

Professional tuning custom tailors a map to your car. While the OTS maps that ship on the AP are decent you will pick up all kinds of gains with a custom made map. I picked up +38 whp and +66 ft-lbs tq over the stage 2 base map with a custom tune. The AP is just the vehicle used to flash it and gives you the flexibility to flash it yourself or unflash it once the map is made.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwoben View Post
    Does professional tuning do anything other than loading a profile from Cobb AP?
    Sure. The difference won't be nearly as noticeable as if you had some additional mods on the car, however.

Keep in mind, many professional tuners require a Cobb AP anyhow. I would recommend just getting a Cobb AP and flashing a stage 1 map. Down the road if you have some money sitting around, throw a down pipe, intake, ebcs, and whatever ya feel like on and get a pro tune.

I would use the terminology "Off The Shelf" (OTS) tune from now on. It is a better way of describing a preloaded Cobb AP tune that you flashed as compared to "tuning it yourself" which normally infers a personalized tune that was made by yourself or a "pro tune". Just a small FYI.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Thanks for the replies, just ordered the Cobb AP, will do some stage 2 mods and professional tuning in a few weeks when it gets warmer and I read more about stage 2 mods available.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwoben View Post
    Thanks for the replies, just ordered the Cobb AP, will do some stage 2 mods and professional tuning in a few weeks when it gets warmer and I read more about stage 2 mods available.
    I'd recommend just flashing stage 1 as soon as you get it. No need to wait for stage 2 mods if you already have the Cobb AP in your hands =)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro