Need help finding the problem with my WRX.

This is a discussion on Need help finding the problem with my WRX. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I will make this short and sweet. Was driving along and the thermostat began to peak out on my gauge ...

Need help finding the problem with my WRX.

I will make this short and sweet.

Was driving along and the thermostat began to peak out on my gauge then after 150 to 20 seconds would go back down to normal, however, no white smoke any where and nothing out of my exhaust pipes. So the shop said head gaskets. Not head gasket and I didnt change them. Changed various gaskets, a new turbo inlet, and fuel pump. Acura and Subaru dealership tried to charge me $600 for a fuel pump and labor. No thanks. Myself and a buddy changed it. And it is still not starting. Anyone have any suggestions?

If need any more details, I will quickly post anything else needed. Thanks Ladies and Gents.

Taylor

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

So does it overheat or not run? If it's not running I'd guess it would no way overheat, but that might have been caused by overheating...
    Please re-read your post and clarify. It would also not hurt to sya what year/mileage/mods you're dealing with.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I Support ClubWRX
    sometimes you need to turn the key(without starting the car) let the pump do its thing for a minute then attempt to start, if that isnt it, did you disconnect the battery before you started? If not check the fuses then reset the computer

I always let me pump cycle first, sounds like a airplane taking off hahaha
    2012 Limited Black Pearl WRX
    My Build to Destruction
    52 Week Project

Ingo- When it was "over heating" it was running fine. It would get hot inside the car. It is a 2002 with 112,000 miles. I put in a belt kit with a new water pump back in july. Mods consist of some STI parts, intercooler being the main one.

jonsutton- yes we let the car sit with the key turned, it also made that ticking noise when the key would be turned, without starting the car. In order to start the car, we had to jump it. We let it sit and charge, but did not start. As for the fuses, which ones would you think? That was our next guess. I no longer trust the subaru dealership because of my one and only run in with them about the fuel pump. Bought an after market for 100 when they wanted 300 plus for a stock pump

scarmack- attempted to let it cycle before starting.

So it turns over on starting but doesn't fire?
    It needs fuel, air and spark to fire. You could first off confirm fuel gets there by checking at the injectors. If you remove one and try starting it should squirt fuel. Next I'd suspect spark, since air should be there by default... Your battery is good?
    After that you're down to compression testing... (probably again...)

While the battery was connected to another car, (being jumped), it attempted to turn over once i believe. The other attempts didnt sound like it wanted to turned over.

I Support ClubWRX
    Attempt to separate the overheating from the no start issues.

Since it won't start, it can't overheat, so get it starting first. Just to be safe, remove the front covers and check the timing. If timing is correct get a known good battery, check all the leads and fuses, and see if it starts.

If/when it starts, suspect either an air pocket or an obstruction in the cooling system. Burp the system repeatedly. This of course assumes the water pump you installed is OK; you should be able to eyeball it for leaks etc. above when you check the timing with the covers off.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

^+1
    This.

What about your alternator? You can load test the battery and see if the alternator is charging or not and it could be a bad cell in the battery. if you pt the same battery in another car and it didnt work I would assume its not holding a charge,