New Owner 2012 WRX - some questions

This is a discussion on New Owner 2012 WRX - some questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well, I just picked up a used 2012 with 19k on it at the dealership this weekend. I'm simply enamored ...

New Owner 2012 WRX - some questions

Well, I just picked up a used 2012 with 19k on it at the dealership this weekend. I'm simply enamored with the vehicle. My previous cars have been a 3000gt, eclipse gt, a (swapped) 240sx S13, KA24de S14 240sx, and since this weekend, the car I was rocking for the last 5 years was just a simple 03 lancer es.

Needless to say, I couldn't be happier. I do have some questions and figured they would be best posted in the n00b forum so you wouldn't get those typical, "DO A SEARCH," answers. I did search many of these through google, but always prefer the input of a well informed community.

1. My car is used, it has an SPT trim piece added to the trunk. The dealership was unable to comment if the car had any existing mods. A look under the hood didn't show anything had been changed, but my exhaust is full of a nice throaty bass under 2k rpms. Would an SPT exhaust come with markings to note it is SPT?

2. I have a low pitched, supercharger sounding whine on 1st and 2nd gear under throttle. 3rd-5th you can barely notice this. At first I was concerned this was that intercooler to throttle body hose coming loose, but after listening very carefully and doing more research - this really appears to be transmission related. Should I bring the car to the dealership for further checking or is this just a normal natural whine from the transmission that I should get used to? It seems to overwhelm the spooling sound.

3. I'm not doing any power mods for a very long time, but is there anything can be done with the suspension to promote a tad more oversteer?

4. Do you guys have your tire pressure lights come on after the car wash too? What is the best way for me to reset this code w/o voiding warranty?

5. When should I see max boost? Would have been nice for the car to come with a boost gauge.

Well there you have it, I love this car and want to make sure I take care of it for years to come. Test drove a 2013 Genesis 2.0t and it was nowhere near as organic to drive as the WRX.

Thanks to anyone who wants to take on these questions. Feel free to even post links instead of answers, call me a novice, etc.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

First, welcome!

1. Unsure on this one, hopefully someone else can chime in. Diameters may be different, but don't quote me on that.

2. Totally normal, I've grown to love that noise.

3. A set of sway-bars and end links really helped by car in terms of oversteer, just make sure you're going with the proper diameter for your driving style and don't go too aggressive. Plenty of info on this, just search around a bit.

4. I didn't have the TPMS light come on, but my external thermometer went haywire after a few touch-less car washes (high pressure water used). Ended up taking it to the dealer for them to solder part of the wiring harness and not worry about it ever again. The TPMS in these cars is extremely touchy, lighting up even if your 2 lbs low. Make sure you've got proper pressures all around before thinking something is wrong.

5. Max boost is going to vary, but WOT you should be hitting peak boost right around 3k. Again, YMMV.

TPMS very finicky

SPT exhaust should have SPT on the side of the tip if im not mistaken
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images (1).jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	4.4 KB 
ID:	112691

seems like mcdbreden has hit all the points on the head so I will just go sip some beer....

Congrats on the car tho and pics

EDIT: btw Cobb AP stage 1 is the first thing I would look into doing, new guy myself and just flashed it yesterday and its was a great decision

Quote Originally Posted by mcdbrendan View Post
    First, welcome!

1. Unsure on this one, hopefully someone else can chime in. Diameters may be different, but don't quote me on that.

2. Totally normal, I've grown to love that noise.

3. A set of sway-bars and end links really helped by car in terms of oversteer, just make sure you're going with the proper diameter for your driving style and don't go too aggressive. Plenty of info on this, just search around a bit.

4. I didn't have the TPMS light come on, but my external thermometer went haywire after a few touch-less car washes (high pressure water used). Ended up taking it to the dealer for them to solder part of the wiring harness and not worry about it ever again. The TPMS in these cars is extremely touchy, lighting up even if your 2 lbs low. Make sure you've got proper pressures all around before thinking something is wrong.

5. Max boost is going to vary, but WOT you should be hitting peak boost right around 3k. Again, YMMV.

Phew! #2 was my biggest worry. I don't mind a differentiation in sounds as long as its normal.

There was one additional question forgot to add. I see a lot of people recommending aftermarket tunes for better gas mileage? Something I read that Subaru tuned it lean from the factory??

If I have a tuner touch the car for a better tune, does this void my warranty? I'm coming from an eco box, and even with shorter shifting I'd like better MPG.

Thanks again

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    welcome! where in FL are you located?

as far as a tune voiding your warranty: it wont VOID your warranty but it could cause a claim to be DENIED if they can prove that it had something to do with whatever the issue was.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

thats why I recommended the Cobb Accessport for tuning for smoother tune or eco tune.
    voiding warranty only if a specific used part is associated to the malfunction however can be a big pain. think there is a thread on it somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    welcome! where in FL are you located?

as far as a tune voiding your warranty: it wont VOID your warranty but it could cause a claim to be DENIED if they can prove that it had something to do with whatever the issue was.

Jacksonville, FL.

So as I understand, I can get a COBB Accessport and download a tune offline which will make the stock tune safer? I'm still uncertain if I want to do anything to risk the car until after the 60k is up.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    yeah if you are stock you would run a "stage 1" map. it would smooth out the powerband and will probably give you a little more MPG.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    yeah if you are stock you would run a "stage 1" map. it would smooth out the powerband and will probably give you a little more MPG.
    My biggest concern is not risking the warranty. If you guys are saying this is the best and safest path to take, then I'd like to do what I can to keep the engine safe for as long as possible.

Any horror stories to mind with the stage 1 map?

First, welcome and congrats!

As far as the exhaust goes, as mentioned the STP exhaust would be labeled as such on the tips. You could always take a picture and post it here and we can tell you if it is stock or not.

The noise: These cars do tend to have pretty noisy drivetrains. It most likely is nothing to worry about, but since the car is still under warranty, I would make an appointment at your convenience with the dealership. That way if there is something not right, either they will find it or at least you will have it on record that you brought it in, should something happen down the line.

As mentioned, sways and endlinks are a good suspension upgrade. I would add that many people have lots of good things to say about getting a custom alignment as well, to add camber to the front wheels. The rear wheels on your car you won't be able to add camber to without buying aftermarket parts.

Tire pressure light: I'd check your pressures manually to make sure they are ok, but that might be another thing I'd have a dealership take a look at. Seems odd to me that they would be coming on after a car wash. Did they light go away after a while?

I kinda forget when max boost is on teh stock tune, but I don't think it's much different than mine (stage 1). So you should be hitting max boost somewhere in the low-mid 3k rpm range, then it will taper off a bit til redline.

Quote Originally Posted by RaidenKing View Post
    My biggest concern is not risking the warranty. If you guys are saying this is the best and safest path to take, then I'd like to do what I can to keep the engine safe for as long as possible.

Any horror stories to mind with the stage 1 map?
    No horror stories spring to mind. There is debate about just how "unsafe" the stock tune is. If you truly don't want to jeopardize the warranty at all, leave it stock until your 30k is up. MPG could go up a tad with a stage 1 tune, but we're talking 1 or 2 mpgs most likely. Driving style and the flatness of the roads you have to be on will make the biggest difference.

Edit: I forgot to add, if you are worried about the car truly being stock or not, take some pics of the engine bay and post them. Make sure you get some of the turbo and downpipe from the left side of the bay (as you're facing the car).
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"