Subaru (& Manual Driver) n00b here! Be nice!

This is a discussion on Subaru (& Manual Driver) n00b here! Be nice! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, I'm Suz. My brother just upgraded so he gave me his 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon which I absolutely ...

Subaru (& Manual Driver) n00b here! Be nice!

Hey guys,

I'm Suz. My brother just upgraded so he gave me his 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon which I absolutely LOVE! I've had it less than a week and I'm already having problems with it.. and I'm really upset because I don't want a different car. I just learned to drive stick on this. It's just perfect for me! I'm hoping you guys can give me some tips as to what's wrong with it. I'm going to try resetting the ECU again when my dad gets home.

So this is what it does, it has a rough idle. The o2 sensor needed to be replaced, so my dad replaced that. I need this to pass NJ inspection soon so I can drive it! It keeps poppin' misfire codes, cylinder 4. So my dad checked that. Then the weird part is all the codes stopped misfiring, and the check engine light went off. Now it has NO POWER. I get up to like 4th and have my foot on the floor, and it doesn't GO. It randomly is stalling?? My dad is baffled. He's worked on cars his whole life. Any ideas??

Please help..

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    List modifications. Ask your brother when the issues started. See the " if you have a misfire read this" thread and have your dad go down that list.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

No modifications. He didn't have any problems other than the o2 sensor. This all started within the past couple days. He drove it up from FL with no problems. I'll have my dad look at that list. Thanks.

Stalling?
    Problems idling? Check for boost and vacuum leaks.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

mmmmm gl!

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    1.) I'd check the #4 injector seating. It sounds as though you could have a major vacuum leak on the injector-TGV junction at cyl 4.
    2.) I'd recommend performing (at minimum) a compression test to ensure that all cylinders have nominal compression (should be 155 PSI when warm).
    3.) Take the car to a shop and have them perform a Vacuum leak test (using smoke and pressure), this will eliminate a lot of headache.
    4.) Replace the spark plugs!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Had similar issues in a different car - found the problem was related to the turbo pressure valve (BOV). I am the least qualified to be of help though, listen to the other guys first.

had a similar problem, found a small vacum hose under the mainfold/extractor come off which made the fuel air mixture go nuts and the car ran like crap, pretty hard to spot the hose so have a good look, i changed the MAF sensor O2 sensor then found the hose after a 1200 bucks