Breaking in a new motor

This is a discussion on Breaking in a new motor within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone, so I'm picking up my new Subaru in about a week. I'm wondering what you guys have done ...

Breaking in a new motor

Hey everyone, so I'm picking up my new Subaru in about a week. I'm wondering what you guys have done to break in the motor. I know there are conflicting theories about breaking in a motor, and I searched on the site but I couldn't find much. I probably wasn't searching correctly. On the Subarus website I found this:

Subaru FAQs | Find Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

Anyways any input would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Trust the advice of the person who built the motor
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Thats what I figured. Any recommendation on hoe long to wait before modding?

engineers spend millions of R&D dollars figuring these things out for you. do what they suggest. which according to my owners manual is keep it under 4k for the first 1000 miles. i went easy throttle and under 3-4k for the first 1000 miles on my 2013 wrx. did the first oil change a little early at 1400 miles but i had a 2200 mile road trip ahead of me so thats why. now i just drive it normal. ive done this on every new car ive ever owned. (4 so far, and about 7 new motorcycles, same easy break in) and ive never had any problems even with 264k miles on one of them.....

a lot of people who claim the "drive like you stole it beat it to death from day 1" way is the best because they feel the need to "seat in the piston rings" i guess they think its a one off hand built f1 engine or something. dunno really why they think that.

but they seem to forget its not just the piston rings your needing to worry about and seat in. the whole rest of the car needs to break in as well. transmission components, bearings, diffs etc. its a good idea to take it easy on these parts for a little bit until everything settles in.

just my opinions here do what you think is best with your car.

as far as the mods go.
    ive got 2k miles on mine and already have some parts on order. invidia catted dp, q300, kartboy shifter, perrin cai, perrin sourced cobb ap. lol so id say as long as your over the 1k mark and you feel comfortable possibly voiding your warranty then go for it. there is an independent race shop inside the subaru dealer in vegas selling all manner of catless downpipes, rotated kits etc. and they have no problems with legitimate warranty claims on stage 2+ cars. which is the only reason im modding mine while its still in warranty
    Last edited by EndlessSea; 03-16-2013 at 05:36 PM.

I Support ClubWRX

Anyways any input would be greatly appreciated.

Nick
    I disagree. If I were you I'd not appreciate any input. Motors are expensive and despite all the cries in the wilderness and gnashing of teeth by "builders," "tuners," et al., the one entity with the most experience designing, building, and supporting Subaru motors is... Subaru.

I'd listen to them.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

read the owner's manual and follow it's instructions. first 1000 miles do not "race" the engine, do not go above 4000 RPM and vary your engine speeds during normal driving.

Subaru makes a pretty good engine, they seem to understand its care better than anyone. Cruise control is the devil, brace yourself for the longest 1000 miles of your life.

I got an oil change at around 1200 miles as well and the tech made me sign a waiver because he did not want to do it. Something about detergent oil cleaning the special engine build grease before it gets a chance to soak in (one of the qualities of steel and aluminum I am most amazed by is their Charmin like nature)... he even said "whatever, its your engine" with a dramatic sigh and eye roll, probably the smartest thing he said all day... I change my own oil now. And since this is my fifth engine break in (sixth if you count my fiat engine rebuild) and close to a million miles under my belt, I can honestly say that when something breaks (and something always does eventually), it is not going to be because of clean oil.

Sums it up all on one page, taken right from the manuals.
    Not as many parts left over this time... what am I missing?

so buying a car in new jersey and driving it down to miami would be a no no

because i might be buying from rexxx0486 and dont want to pay someone to deliver it to me.

I Support ClubWRX
    Lots of engine braking and varying rpms.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Lots of engine braking and varying rpms.
    You could do it, just make sure you're doing that ^.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

What they said.

Bought my wrx 200 miles away, took awhile to get it home, first time I made a trip anywhere where I didn't pass a single soul. Off ramps and clover leaves (leafs?) are your friends. At least you would put a dent in that first k.
    Not as many parts left over this time... what am I missing?