So I bought a Lancer... but I really want a WRX... Help? haha
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on So I bought a Lancer... but I really want a WRX... Help? haha within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone, new to the forum here... Im Alberto, live in the Chicagoland area... and yup, just like the title ...

Exclamation So I bought a Lancer... but I really want a WRX... Help? haha

Hello everyone, new to the forum here...

Im Alberto, live in the Chicagoland area... and yup, just like the title says, I bought a brand new 2012 Lancer ES back in June 2012... but I seriously want a WRX.

I was going to buy a WRX back then... but... it is very embarassing to say why I didn't get one... let's just say it has to do with one.. or two women... that... hate each other... LOL

But they both are in my past, but im stuck with a Lancer for the next 6 years :/ I put down $2500 on the Lancer, and I pay $250 (thats min, I usually pay like 280-300) for 72 months.

Now, I really want a WRX, I have been a Subaru fan since I can remember, but over here even base WRXs have sticker price of +27,000...

What I plan on doing is saving up a couple grand and trade in my car, but if I did my math right, to get a brand-new WRX + trade of my financed car + negative equity, I would have to save up at least $8000 which could take me like over a year.

Some people tell me I should be open into buying a used one... but in the past, I had a 1997 civic and I traded it for a 1994 Integra and man, that was horrible, i had the worst of luck, so I am not so sure if i want to trade my new car for an older used one, some other people tell me to not buy a used turbo'd car.

So questions are: "What is the maximum ammount of miles you would buy a turboed car with" Are used Subaru's good? Any help with finances? I work at a bank, I make 11.50/hr @ at least 30 hrs a week, getting promoted to supervisor, i think im gonna be aroiund 12.25-13/hr @ 40 hrs/per week...

Well, thanks! :banana:

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Keep your existing car. The depreciation hit is simply not worth it. Since you work at a bank you know the math is against you.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Yeah, I know, just really sucks because I really want a WRX... guess I screwed myself out of that one... >_>

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Alberto521 View Post
    Yeah, I know, just really sucks because I really want a WRX... guess I screwed myself out of that one... >_>
    You could make it happen if you REALLY wanted to, but you would be better off on a third party sale of your existing vehicle rather than a trade in. You do run the risk of being "car poor" if you make this transaction though. One thing to keep in mind is that your car insurance will go way up and the gas is very expensive. With your other expenses (I am only assuming you have other expenses), it will be tight. Either way, good luck!

On the mileage side, it is hard to say a certain mileage that I wouldn't consider buying over, because someone could have thrashed a WRX for 2,000 miles and done a lot of damage, while at the same time, someone could have babied it for 50,000. In that case you would be better off with the 50,000 mile one. The catch is that you never know.

I Support ClubWRX
    It's not a big deal though. It's just a car and you already have a nice car. Taking a depreciation hit and making more payments isn't worth it. Just enjoy your existing car and life.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I agree with SD from a financial standpoint.

If you can't help yourself, it's not so much "how many miles," but more whether the car is stock with a full maintentence history. And I would suggest doing a leakdown/compression test on any car you would seriously consider.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Have you considered saving up that money and then buying an older used WRX as a second car? Since you have the Lancer, your DD is covered, and that would allow you to own a higher mileage WRX on the side for sunny weekends or the like.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRex View Post
    Have you considered saving up that money and then buying an older used WRX as a second car? Since you have the Lancer, your DD is covered, and that would allow you to own a higher mileage WRX on the side for sunny weekends or the like.
    I second this. If you can save up 8k in a year or so then you can keep your lancer as a reliable DD and then buy an older WRX in good shape. You have a good, new car, so keep it. This is assuming you have a place to put the both of them though! You have to be careful when shopping for a used WRX, try the best you can to get one that has had little to no modifications done. They are out there, it just takes some patience to find em. Good luck!

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I mean money is okay right now, I do have some other bills. I did a quote through GEICO, right now with them I pay $77 a month for full coverage, and with a WRX insurance would be about $86 for full coverage.

Im not so sure if I would be able to have two cars though, I still live with my parents, and insurance in two cars may be a little bit high for me.

I mean I'll keep everything in consideration, but I just really want to have AWD and that amazing Subaru rumble... I honestly can't stand FWD anymore...lol.

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks guys.

Yeah, I mean money is okay right now,
    I disagree.

Im not so sure if I would be able to have two cars though,
    No.

I honestly can't stand FWD anymore...lol.
    I like money more. I'd focus on saving money but that's just me. Selling a new car in the situation described and/or having two cars makes zero sense to me.

search your feelings young Lancer driver.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

I Support ClubWRX
    Listen to SD_GR he is giving you good advice.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

Honestly, stick with the Lancer. Having a WRX is awesome, but having money and saving money is way more awesome. Have fun with the Lancer, they are good looking dependable cars, and will get you where you need to be. Then, when you are established in your career and are fiscally secure, go out and get a WRX. Also, dont be afraid of a used vehicle, buy smart, research, no mods, and just look for a well taken care of car. Good luck, and just hang in there, you have plenty of time to get one
    '11 WRX DGM

Quote Originally Posted by rexxx0486 View Post
    Listen to SD_GR he is giving you good advice.
    ^Or buy a car from him for cheaper and have it shipped to where ever you are.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Ride out that Lancer for a few years. Pay it off early and enjoy not having a note. Whatever you think you will get for a trade in or sale subtract 10%. Regardless of what edmunds/kbb tell you.

My wife ran into a similar situation last year. We bought a Jeep 4dr Wrangler and after 3 months hated it. Constant problems, poor mileage (far worse than any testing reports), and no room inside despite its massive size. She ended up taking my Impreza and we parked the Jeep for at least 6 months. Went to trade it in and dealerships were a solid 20% under the worst estimate we could find online for a 9k mile Jeep. Ended up selling it privately which helped but we still took a small loss. The real loss came when I bought my WRX and we had to pay taxes on it. Taxes on 2 cars in 18 months just makes my butt hurt in the not fun way.

Anywho thats my little story on quick turn arounds on new cars. It hurts... a lot. Take full advantage of staying with your folks and pay off the debt asap. Nothing in life is more awesome than being debt free and with money in the bank for those rainy days. Hell take your parents out to dinner and get em a hotel room someplace downtown with a view of the lake.
    Not as many parts left over this time... what am I missing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast