New 04 WRX owner, exhaust question, etc

This is a discussion on New 04 WRX owner, exhaust question, etc within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just got my wrx a couple days ago. All of a sudden my check engine light is on. Car runs ...

New 04 WRX owner, exhaust question, etc

Just got my wrx a couple days ago. All of a sudden my check engine light is on. Car runs great. Open and closed gas cap and the light went off then next day it was back on and won't turn off. I took it to autozone to get them to check it for the code. They said the thing they plug their tester into isn't getting any power. All my fuses are fine and cigarette lighter works. Also believe I have a minor exhaust leak. I'm wondering what may be causing my check engine light to be on, and to fix the exhaust leak I was thinking about running a 3 inch straight pipe from the car back. But idk if it will be too loud as its my only car. I want an invidia n1 cat back but can't afford it yet so was thinking the straight pipe would fix exhaust leak plus let me rumble. Does anyone know why my engine light is on and have a link as to what my 04 wrx would sound like straight pipes from cat back?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Without the code nobody knows. Get the code read somewhere. A straight pipe will be awful and a down pipe alone will need a tune.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

So I assume I'm just better off getting the exhaust leak fixed and keeping the stock setup until I can afford something legit. How can I get the code read if its not getting any power? I'm assuming the piece in my car is messed up. Idk what it's called.

I Support ClubWRX
    I suspect the guy at Autozone was malfunctioning rather than your OBD2 port. In any case you'll need a second opinion before troubleshooting the port itself anyway. In fact I don't know how to troubleshoot the port but I believe the guy is more error prone.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Wait. To work, the port needs power. Get a second guy elsewhere to read the code and if no luck, check all fuses and circuits, and suspect a bad power source for the port. Maybe the previous owner spliced into the harness or pinched a wire or something.

no go on the straight pipe. leave the rice to the ricers. if you cant afford a real exhaust then leave it stock.
    check the for sale section on the forum here you might be able to locate a nice used name brand exhaust for cheap.

p.s. dont buy eBay garbage ie $99 downpipes and $199 catbacks. trust me. save and buy name brand parts

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSea View Post
    no go on the straight pipe. leave the rice to the ricers. if you cant afford a real exhaust then leave it stock.
    check the for sale section on the forum here you might be able to locate a nice used name brand exhaust for cheap.

p.s. dont buy eBay garbage ie $99 downpipes and $199 catbacks. trust me. save and buy name brand parts
    Thanks for the advice. Ill def just wait then.