New Subaru owner!

This is a discussion on New Subaru owner! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Yeap, I've been wanting to get a Scooby for a long time now. I talked my mom and my fiance ...

New Subaru owner!

Yeap, I've been wanting to get a Scooby for a long time now. I talked my mom and my fiance into getting subarus about a year ago. Now I have one of my own. I purchased it not running, and it needs some serious engine work. But more on that in a different thread.

I have owned and driven a 1996 Toyota Camry for the last 7 years. It's a great car, dependable, great on gas, slow enough to keep me out of trouble... But I've found myself driving the poor old girl too hard at times because I just need something with a little more pep. I've had my bout with motorcycles. Bought and sold 7 of them, did a considerable amount of work to them, wrecked one, rode another on two different 2,000 mile trips, and now I've sorta lost interest.

Subarus, I've had an interest in for many years. I could just never justify getting rid of the Camry to get one.

That's enough rambling for now. I found this forum and it looks like a great place to see what other scooby owners are doing with and to their cars. Also I hope to find some good technical advice and recommendations.

Down in my area we rarely see a scooby, and when we do it's usually a WRX. Time to get mine out and rolling!

-Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Awesome and welcome to the club!! I'm new as well got my first scooby last week. Got me a 04 wrx.
    Also I've only see one other wrx driver in my area. We salute wit respect when we pass each other haha

Welcome Fizbot, I just joined the forum on monday of this week. I purchased my first Subaru as well. 2013 WRX. Much better than my 09 Civic Si I traded in lol. How do you like you car so far?? It's funny you say that Jboyd, the local wrx and sti owners here in Boise wave as we pass, kinda like when on a motorcycle. Close knit community i believe.
    Hopefully we can all share stories and modification plans and pictures with each other, I think that would be pretty sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by NewToSubWRX View Post
    Welcome Fizbot, I just joined the forum on monday of this week. I purchased my first Subaru as well. 2013 WRX. Much better than my 09 Civic Si I traded in lol. How do you like you car so far?? It's funny you say that Jboyd, the local wrx and sti owners here in Boise wave as we pass, kinda like when on a motorcycle. Close knit community i believe.
    Hopefully we can all share stories and modification plans and pictures with each other, I think that would be pretty sweet!
    Oh yah for sure man. I live in Atlanta GA I def feel one of a kind with my wrx. Even tho it's bone stock ha.

Ya mine is totally stock too, i really wanna mod mine eventually but there is no place here in Boise to get a tune done. The first modifications thread has a bunch of good info. I have always wanted BOV but it seems to be looked down upon on WRX But i guess gotta be original some how. lol

Welcome! The thread he referred to ^ is linked in my sig.

The reason BOV's are looked down upon is because people usually buy the wrong kind, or crappy brands, and they can cause your car to run lean at times. You can learn more about that here: "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged)

An intake, which for most years will require a tune, will also give more of that "woosh" sound that people seem to want. You don't have to go to a tuner for a basic tune, there is the Cobb Accessport, or opensource tunes such as Torqued Performance. Those are both perfectly fine options as long as you match your mods to what the people who made the tune tell you you can have. A protune on a dyno is just the best option (assuming it's a good tuner!).
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

^^^^^thissss. welcome.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Welcome! The thread he referred to ^ is linked in my sig.

The reason BOV's are looked down upon is because people usually buy the wrong kind, or crappy brands, and they can cause your car to run lean at times. You can learn more about that here: "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged)

An intake, which for most years will require a tune, will also give more of that "woosh" sound that people seem to want. You don't have to go to a tuner for a basic tune, there is the Cobb Accessport, or opensource tunes such as Torqued Performance. Those are both perfectly fine options as long as you match your mods to what the people who made the tune tell you you can have. A protune on a dyno is just the best option (assuming it's a good tuner!).

So basically exhaust swap and air filter such as K&N typhoon would only require the need of Cobb AP or an opensource? Thats really good news for me cuz then it would be a much more simple process than what i was thinking And THE BIG BOV thread confuses me so much cuz everyones all over the place on brands and years of vehicles, plus weather it runs rich or lean. But basically I have gathered that the stock recirculating valve is all around better than BOV

Quote Originally Posted by NewToSubWRX View Post
    So basically exhaust swap and air filter such as K&N typhoon would only require the need of Cobb AP or an opensource? Thats really good news for me cuz then it would be a much more simple process than what i was thinking And THE BIG BOV thread confuses me so much cuz everyones all over the place on brands and years of vehicles, plus weather it runs rich or lean. But basically I have gathered that the stock recirculating valve is all around better than BOV
    Basically, yes, to both. The stock valve is pretty good up until a certain level of mods. And the AP or opensource can support intakes. I know that Torqued Performance supports a bunch, I think Cobb only supports theirs or AEM. That info can be found on their websites though, or whoever else you might look at.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Basically, yes, to both. The stock valve is pretty good up until a certain level of mods. And the AP or opensource can support intakes. I know that Torqued Performance supports a bunch, I think Cobb only supports theirs or AEM. That info can be found on their websites though, or whoever else you might look at.
    Cool thanks man. If you dont mind me asking what do you personally recommend? Seems like Cobb would be pretty straight forward and easy to work with. Or am I mistaken? What do you run on your car?