2005 Subaru WRX

This is a discussion on 2005 Subaru WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello all: I currently own a 1999 Toyota Corolla (LE) as my everyday get around car. It has been the ...

2005 Subaru WRX

Hello all:

I currently own a 1999 Toyota Corolla (LE) as my everyday get around car. It has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. I am now ready to hand it over to my son and was in the market for a replacement vehicle. I have asked high and low about what used car to choose. I am tired of the Corolla's and Honda's and wanted something that was just as reliable but had some style and pick me up. I have been told that the car I am looking for is The Subaru WRX (not the STI). These are the factors that are important to me:

1) Reliability (won't break down on the road or need constant mechanical / electrical work)
    2) Good gas mileage
    3) Automatic Transmission and 4 cylinder
    4) Get me out of the snow without an issue
    5) Have some speed
    6) Has some style (i.e. BMW, Audi, Benz)

Now having said that, I am going to test drive a 2005 4-door model tonight with 110,000 miles. The price is right but I was wondering, does this car get good City gas mileage? I currently get about 25 miles to the gallon with the Toyota and I like that. Will I even get near that?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You might, but you'll need premium fuel and the Impreza has been a disappointment as far as fuel economy. That said I'd spring for an 06+ model WRX, with the larger motor and more torque.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

The following is all straight from teh calvinball's brain, and therefore is only as useful as I am:

1) Reliability (won't break down on the road or need constant mechanical / electrical work)
    Subarus are generally considered reliable. A wrx is going to be more finicky if it is beat up on than a corolla or civic, however. Just FYI not knowing anything about your driving style.

2) Good gas mileage
    Not one of the WRX's strong points. City driving, if you are averaging 25 you will be taking a hit. 18-22 or so is more likely, and it will be with premium fuel.

3) Automatic Transmission and 4 cylinder
    Check.

4) Get me out of the snow without an issue
    A definite strong point, especially if you spring for a second set of wheels with winter tires.

5) Have some speed
    Well, compared to a corolla, definite win for the WRX here.

6) Has some style (i.e. BMW, Audi, Benz)
    Style is very subjective, and the WRX seems to be pretty polarizing. People love it, or hate it. Does it have style? Yes. Is it similar to one of those premium cars you mentioned? Not in my mind.

Hope this helps somehow!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"