Questions about voiding my warranty

This is a discussion on Questions about voiding my warranty within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone! I am still pretty new, and I am enjoying reading different threads so I can learn things about ...

Questions about voiding my warranty

Hey everyone! I am still pretty new, and I am enjoying reading different threads so I can learn things about my car and what I can do with it.
    But I am wondering.. If I change my exhaust, and get an air intake, or a cat will that void my warranty? I just want my car to be louder, I just love the Subaru sound. I don't wanna wreck it, just make it louder and possibly deeper.

So any ideas of what you guys have installed in your cars would be great, or some videos! Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    This is a pretty well covered subject actually.

In short, no. You can't "void" a warranty. Aside from complicated situations (insurance paying for a paint job will void your paint warranty, for example), warranties aren't generally "voided". The dealership can deny to pay for a repair. Some dealerships are nicer about it than others. I generally assume if anything goes wrong, and the finger can be pointed at a modification in any way/shape/form... it's coming out of my pocket.

Examples:
    Should be covered: window motors when a downpipe is installed
    May be covered: transmission when a downpipe is installed
    Won't be covered (most likely): engine when a huge turbo was thrown on it

If you want some more sound, look to get an axle back or catback exhaust. I doubt a dealership would give you a rough time regarding it, and it would give you whatever sound you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    ^ Yep, that about sums it up. Nicely done Brandon!
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Okay, makes sense. Thanks alot! I still have alot to learn about my Subaru lol all in time!

Well said Brandon.

Also please note changing the intake you should include a tune, same thing goes with any exhaust component before the catback.

What is a "tune"? :/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittxo View Post
    Take some time and read some stickies that are posted on this forum. Also, googling "Subaru Unabomber's Manifesto" to find a page over on NASIOC is always a good place to start.

You'll need to reprogram the stock ECU on these cars to make most modifications. They are touchy cars if you don't go about it correctly. Most people either get a Cobb AP with plug and play tunes for common car mods or get a Tactrix cable and some open source (OS) software and go about it that way. Both work and have their own feature set you should decide on.

- - - Updated - - -

Take some time and read some stickies that are posted on this forum. Also, googling "Subaru Unabomber's Manifesto" to find a page over on NASIOC is always a good place to start.

You'll need to reprogram the stock ECU on these cars to make most modifications. They are touchy cars if you don't go about it correctly. Most people either get a Cobb AP with plug and play tunes for common car mods or get a Tactrix cable and some open source (OS) software and go about it that way. Both work and have their own feature set you should decide on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Thank you I shall do my research haha

I Support ClubWRX
    Hey everyone! I am still pretty new, and I am enjoying reading different threads so I can learn things about my car and what I can do with it.
    But I am wondering.. If I change my exhaust, and get an air intake, or a cat will that void my warranty?
    Are you in Canada? If so the answers regarding US law are completely irrelevant.

There is a US law that in theory says it won't. However if your car is denied service, politicians won't roll up their sleeves and fix it for you. Mechanics won't either unless you pay them. Although your warranty won't be "voided" in principle it can be entirely useless and in fact "voided" in practice. To you the effect will be the same: a broken car with no immediate recourse. This is in the US only. For CA issues ask locally; US answers will be useless to you.

Incidentally, modifying a cat will make the car illegal on any public road in the US. However, if you are not in the US, this is also irrelevant.

Go to a meet to listen directly to other people's cars and see if there is a particular sound and/or look that you enjoy most, and ask what parts those people there used. There's nothing like being in front of something to judge it and it could save you time plus you'd meet people that could be helpful down the line etc.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Get a cat? Why would you want a cat? Dogs are better. Dogs don't void warranties.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Thanks, and yes I am in Canada, Alberta. But I have been to some car meets, or little races. And I love it there, I have asked them what they used on their cars. Just have to go to more

I Support ClubWRX
    If you're just looking for a little louder sound and are concerned about your warranty maybe look into the Spt exhaust.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

But I am wondering.. If I change my exhaust, and get an air intake, or a cat will that void my warranty? I just want my car to be louder, I just love the Subaru sound. I don't wanna wreck it, just make it louder and possibly deeper.

So any ideas of what you guys have installed in your cars would be great, or some videos! Thanks!
    If you have a model that NamelessPerformance makes an Axleback Muffler Delete for I'd order that, install took me all of 15 minutes, and the sound change was more intense then when my buddy went from stock exhaust to a metal mulisha catback with a 6 inch tip on his 6 liter Raptor. IF any issues arise you can get under the car, wrench for 10-15 minutes and you can have the stock mufflers rite back on there.

Perfect, thanks!