Buyer's Remorse
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Buyer's Remorse within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello, I'm new to the forums, but have been reading through threads just to get a feel on what to ...

Buyer's Remorse

Hello,

I'm new to the forums, but have been reading through threads just to get a feel on what to look forward to with a WRX/STI and what I should look for price-wise. I'm torn between purchasing a new WRX Limited and a used STI (possibly limited if I can find cheap enough).

My question is, is there any one of you that bought a WRX and felt buyer's remorse and just wish you had went with an STI? I thought I was set on a WRX, but so many friends and posts I read scream go with an STI!

Let me know your thoughts!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think it's all a very subjective matter. What will you be using the car for? A DD, light track car, track car? It all depends.

For me the WRX fit my needs/wants perfectly so I didn't even look at the STi. Now I know others who are the complete opposite and the WRX wasn't an option for them. Like I said, it's all subjective.

That being said, I think the more important thing is to make sure you're in the financial position to be deciding to get something that is 10k more than it's counterpart.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I did a good amount of research on the wrx vs STi debate when I was looking to get a new car. I thought I really understood the differences, what I would want/need, and what each offered. I went with the limited WRX because I really wanted leather + hatchback + sunroof. I didn't plan on going crazypants with the mods and track days either. Also, I didn't at the time really realize that the STi was that much better to make the cost worth it.

After a year and half of ownership I don't wish I had bought an STi because I like my car payments and insurance right where there are, but I would still really like one. I don't have "badge envy" or any of that nonsense, but if I do want to go heavy on the modding later, it might have made things easier to buy one upfront. I don't think I TRULY understood the differences between them until I looked into all the user builds and modifications and what really separates them. The stronger 6 speed is a big selling point, but for a DD the gearing of the 5 is pretty nice (if you're used to a 5). Maybe once I stop driving it daily and use it as a dedicated weekend racecar I'll swap to one of those. Or maybe I'll sell it before I ever get there.

I use my wrx a lot for AutoX too, but I don't think anyone has really given a good try at being competitive in the '09+ (outside of stock class). Probably because it follows in the same classes as an STi and anyone who can afford to be competitive or wants to be would probably just have got an STi. Time will tell on this. The wrx does weigh a bit less, but it is also missing those lovely LSDs.

If you only plan on keeping it on public roads, you really can't go wrong with the WRX. The bang for the buck is fantastic and the price difference would give you enough money for some simple mods to make it more than quick enough on most roads. Looking for a used STi is a good call if you want the performance and don't care about new car comforts/technology. It can be hard to find one and they're expensive, but I'm sure they're worth it.

Sorry for the long reply, good luck!

I Support ClubWRX
    Where do you fall within these four categories:

Strictly a street-driven vehicle
    Mainly street-driven with some motorsports
    Mainly motorsports with some street miles
    Strictly motorsports

First two, the WRX is likely the better buy. Second two, the STI is likely the better buy. As a general rule, the WRX is a street car that can do motorsports, while the STI is a motorsports car that can be driven on the street. It's unlikely in street duty for you to push the WRX into the realm of where the STI will shine; that's generally only seen in a controlled environment.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I really appreciate the replies! I've been thinking about it for a while and just needed a couple more opinions. I'm sure the only reason individuals try and sway me towards an STI is because it's just that, an STI.

For sure the vehicle will be mostly street-driven with a possibility in the motorsports department, but looking at it now, it doesn't warrant the premium cost.

Maybe later on down the road when I'm more established and see where I'm at an STI might be a better decision.

Thanks for the responses so far! I anyone else has anything to add I'd really appreciate it.

I'm glad I've gotten an STI both times I've bought a Subaru. Especially after having my first and knowing what it's potential is, I knew I couldn't go back to a basic WRX (of the GD generation at least).
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikaru
    I really appreciate the replies! I've been thinking about it for a while and just needed a couple more opinions. I'm sure the only reason individuals try and sway me towards an STI is because it's just that, an STI.

For sure the vehicle will be mostly street-driven with a possibility in the motorsports department, but looking at it now, it doesn't warrant the premium cost.

Maybe later on down the road when I'm more established and see where I'm at an STI might be a better decision.

Thanks for the responses so far! I anyone else has anything to add I'd really appreciate it.
    When they first came out, the gap was huge. I didn't want the 2.0L TD04 version. Subaru has narrowed the gap, and it makes the decision tougher for some, but I think if you follow my post and you don't modify the crap out of the car, you'll be happy...

UNYSOC

This actually alleviated some of my buyer's remorse. Looks like i made the right choice.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I'm glad I've gotten an STI both times I've bought a Subaru. Especially after having my first and knowing what it's potential is, I knew I couldn't go back to a basic WRX (of the GD generation at least).
    I think it is that way with any car. A friend who used to drive a Accord went out & bought a E class Mercedes. He was telling me he'd never downgrade or couldn't downgrade. What would his friends & neighbors say? Its the image mostly. Never mind that the Accord is more reliable. He never sold the Accord. It is now at 300k miles with regular maintenance & a transmission change at 200k.

And to the OP, do your friends have STIs or are they being critical just for the sake of being critical.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I had the option of going with a used STI that was in the 05-07 yr range of get a new WRX...

I thought having an STi would be cool but after doing the logical thing and looking at what I would be doing with the car... the new WRX made a ton more sense. I am glad I went the way I did because it is still a great car and modding still had a lot of gain wit the WRX.

All in all I think I am more happy with what I bought as it fits my needs and I am not spending money I didnt need to spend

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    And to the OP, do your friends have STIs or are they being critical just for the sake of being critical.
    They're all early-twenty males that thirst for speed. I shouldn't have expected an honest opinion from any of them.

The one thing aside from the tranny, suspension, speed, and of course sti badge that makes me really want an STI is the wing. Would I look like I'm trying to be something I'm not by putting an STI wing on the WRX?

Quote Originally Posted by Pikaru View Post
    They're all early-twenty males that thirst for speed. I shouldn't have expected an honest opinion from any of them.

The one thing aside from the tranny, suspension, speed, and of course sti badge that makes me really want an STI is the wing. Would I look like I'm trying to be something I'm not by putting an STI wing on the WRX?

its all about taste, as long as you dont stick STI badges on, I personally think it looks better with the STI wing. However when I purchased a WRX I wanted wingless instead of the WRX wing just owner preference imo.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by CZDeaver
    I had the option of going with a used STI that was in the 05-07 yr range of get a new WRX...
    6-8 year old car with XX owners and god knows what kind of life vs Brand new car, only owner...tough choice

UNYSOC

And if that 6 yr old STI has not been driven hard (i.e. beaten) at least some - I've got a submarine for you... a little fixer-upper, 150ft down, off the coast of Guam, all you need is a bucket to haul the water out... REAL cheap, too...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

ive had my wrx for about 3 months now. not an extremely long time but long enough.

when i see an sti, all i can think is. "wow i cant believe he spent nearly 40k on a subaru to DD to work and back." if your going to regularly track it. then sure sti all day long. for the DD, save the 10k and go wrx IMO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast