Accelerating in 1st gear, 2013 WRX
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Accelerating in 1st gear, 2013 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I dont like to accelerate when in first gear. But sometimes when I go full power in 1st gear and ...

Accelerating in 1st gear, 2013 WRX

I dont like to accelerate when in first gear. But sometimes when I go full power in 1st gear and as soon as i step on the clutch to shift into 2nd I feel the car decelerate a lot, sorta if I was stepping on the brake. Is this a normal feeling caused by the 1st gear in WRX, normal in all manual transmission cars??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    LOL, if I WOT in 1st gear and rev pretty high, when I shift to 2nd my passenger is usually thrown against their seatbelt, eyes popping out, etc. It's great entertainment.

This sounds like a normal phenomenon, though I could be wrong.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    LOL, if I WOT in 1st gear and rev pretty high, when I shift to 2nd my passenger is usually thrown against their seatbelt, eyes popping out, etc. It's great entertainment.

This sounds like a normal phenomenon, though I could be wrong.
    +1 Caught me off guard the first time. I guess if it were fwd I would've spun or chirped, but with awd it was kinda violent actually

Is this your first manual, or are you pretty new to driving a manual? If you are new, your shifts will be choppy, I know mine were when I started. Eventually you'll get used to rowing gears and shift more fluid under open throttle.
    '11 WRX DGM

easy fix.. dont floor it and drive normal

So its a normal response, kinda like going really slow in 1st or second and getting that back in forth movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwrxp View Post
    Is this your first manual, or are you pretty new to driving a manual? If you are new, your shifts will be choppy, I know mine were when I started. Eventually you'll get used to rowing gears and shift more fluid under open throttle.
    First manual, thats why im not sure if was a normal. Even going from 1st to second at normal speeds is hard for me sometimes. All other gears give me no problem.

I'm picking up my wrx on saturday. My first manual as well. Will you be doing any mods? Btw I never drove a manual car lol. Been on motorcycles for the last 3 years though so I hope that helps. I'm pretty sure i'll stink on reverse though.

Yup, you'll get better. I remember my first manual, everytime I shifted the car felt like it was going to stop. You'll get better with your clutch/throttle work and wont even notice when you're shifting. So, to me, it sounds completely normal for a new manual driver... Also, the wrx is one hell if a car to learn on! Awd and tons of power, drives a little different than my 4 cyl KIA did lol.
    '11 WRX DGM

Quote Originally Posted by Bassjunkie06 View Post
    I'm picking up my wrx on saturday. My first manual as well. Will you be doing any mods? Btw I never drove a manual car lol. Been on motorcycles for the last 3 years though so I hope that helps. I'm pretty sure i'll stink on reverse though.
    You don't stink with reverse, the transmissions in these cars have a finicky reverse. I still fumble getting into reverse quickly.
    '11 WRX DGM

Sounds like if you're getting on it at WOT in 1st and shifting into 2nd, you just haven't learned to be as quick and smooth as you can be when making that shift.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Bassjunkie06 View Post
    No worries my wrx was my first mt as well it just takes practice.
    2013 WRX SWP Sedan 1600 miles!

If you continue in second full throttle and it feels like it's not going anywhere for a second or two, then takes off again... You have traction control on.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Nothing like the look of a passenger who has never been in a turbo. After 3500, it's lights out for them...

also, if youve been driving sport bikes or motorcycles,a car is easy...just work on the engagement of clutch without gas and go from there to find the sticking point. once youre rollling smooth the rest is cake

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast