Accelerating in 1st gear, 2013 WRX - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Accelerating in 1st gear, 2013 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Thanks, the dealer is 23 miles away from me so i'm sure i'll have fun driving it back. It's going ...

Thanks, the dealer is 23 miles away from me so i'm sure i'll have fun driving it back. It's going to be hard to stay under 4K rpm but as soon as I get onto the highway i'll cruise on 5th gear. I'll post pics as soon as i get it. Will be changing the the interior bulbs to LEDs. Wish I could put HIDs but I don't feel like spending hundreds of dollars on retrofits.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 99pgpgt View Post
    If you continue in second full throttle and it feels like it's not going anywhere for a second or two, then takes off again... You have traction control on.
    Its not that, its when I push in the clutch before shifting into 2nd. After Iam in second its all good. Its the process of going from 1st to 2nd at WOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Sounds like if you're getting on it at WOT in 1st and shifting into 2nd, you just haven't learned to be as quick and smooth as you can be when making that shift.
    I guess, with all other gears Im fine shifting quickly without any jerking, I have almost 3000 miles on the car. Ive only gone WOT a few times in 1st gear.

Just got a 2013 wrx and ive noticed the same thing with first and second, those two gears are very touchy to me you have to let the clutch out real slow to not get the jerky feel. but like most ppl are saying practice and time will fix this issue. Last clutch i drove was 9 years ago so im still trying to get back into things, but god it feels good to be back in one, driving is no longer gas/brake boring boring lol.

I Support ClubWRX
    its not the traction control kicking in is it?
    '12 STi stage 2

Origin GT = impretzel
    Bf4

-JJ

so ive been driving my car around for a bit and I have notice some things about first and second...

first off i feel subaru trannies arent the best, they dont disappoint me, but they certainly have some character and it takes time to get use to. I got my 2013 1/17/13 with only 17 miles and just passed 2500 a few days ago, oh also my wrx came with the stock STi short throw shifter installed

my observation on my wrx (NOT STi):

coming new the gears are clean as ****, and no real problems except yourself getting use to the high engagement on the clutch and the really small friction zones

first gear has a VERY small friction zone unless I turn off traction control (doing this makes it WAY easier to shift imo, esp WOT)

even if you dont jerk after correctly shifting into the gear, sometimes it doesnt quite catch completely and the clutch spins ever so slightly and will only fully catch after you get above 2k rpm (this only really happens for first gear and sometime second), I thought this might be the oil subaru uses but havent looked much into it

as a result, most of my shifting engages at and above 2k rpm, maybe its the AWD kicking in.. theres def a lag with the AWD, i can feel a difference when i turn it off (WAY BIGGER friction zone with traction control off), but maybe im not use to driving manual with an AWD car

now that its been two months, im able to shift between 1k and 1500k in city limits with ease and no probs but you really got to be easy with it and know your boundaries

driving the car for the first 100 miles I def slipped the clutch in first and second too much because of the small friction zone and I was afraid to jerk my wrx and look like a n00b

with the car now at 2.5k, sometimes when first gear catches, my acceleration through the gear to 4k its sorta jerky and the engine revs up and down all weird unless i give it more gas (maybe the clutch is spinning and almost catching then spinning back around again?? please help me on this lol), **I got a video of this with my dash cam I will upload later**

i never really downshift to first but I was doing some variable driving on my car and heard a revving sound from my engine after I downshifted WHILE STILL holding the clutch in. This was maybe the fourth time ever downshifting to first lol, I thought it sounded like the syncro is matching the gears and there is some friction holding it back, this is only with first gear no others, **got vid of this as well and would like to see your opinions**

second is touchy but perfect imo, you just gotta learn your car, 3 4 5 are perfect too

5th gear I ground the tips of for a half second with the clutch down to the FLOOR shifting semi quick not fast at all tho, i usually have to push slowly through the resistance (maybe i need new bushings?) before it catches, otherwise pushing through too hard causes it to grind, i think this might be because the stock knob for the shifter is WAY too high, I know a lower knob will feel better and probably fix this, i understand this thread is for first and second gear but anyone have any quick comments on this as well? reason i ask it because it feels similar when i try to downshift to first and thought this might be a syncro prob (and no i down down shift to first at 30mph, just 18 and below)

might just be me but the wrx def glides over bumps on the road with traction control off, when I turn it on I feel like the lag from the AWD makes the bumps a little more noticeable

ill post some video of my shifting so you can see how it sounds n rides and all that im talking about
    Last edited by mgwein; 03-09-2013 at 11:26 AM. Reason: yomamafittyfo
    '98 FZR600, '98 CR-250 2-STROKE!!, '04 YZF-R1

'99 AUDI A4, '00 HONDA CRV-SE, 2013 SUBARU WRX DXO

even if you're perfect, clutching in after a hard pull like first gear will shift you from lots of acceleration to no acceleration, which will shift you forward as you're used to putting force forward to be able to stay normal.

The other problem with the 1-2 shift is that in subie 5mt's, 1st is almost twice the gear 2nd is. This means that especially without lightweight drivetrain stuff, it's going to take a while to spin down to match the next gear. This means that you need to wait just a little bit of extra time for that shift to be smooth.

If your problem occurs when you clutch in, that's the first problem, and there's not really anything you can do about that. If it's when you clutch out, work on the second problem.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

turn traction control off.......
    Jason
    2013 WRX Plasma Blue 5dr-- TurboXS Catback, Forcewerks Front Lip, STI STS, 20% tint, 18x9.5 +34 Miro 398 with a 255 tire.
    1987 Ford Mustang 5.0-- Stock S/D 5.0, 150 nitrous, full drag suspension, 2900lbs with me in the car.... hanging tires since 2005. 11.97 @ 115mph with a 1.54 60ft

Noobs and manuals... Recipe for disaster.
    Seriously, when downshifting to 1st - try to go itnto neutral, release clutch, give a shot of gas and clutch in at high(er) rpm, then just slip into 1st. That way the sychros don't have to speed up the gear, they can easier match speeds by slowing things just a bit then having to pull speeds (rpms) up.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kwrxp View Post
    You don't stink with reverse, the transmissions in these cars have a finicky reverse. I still fumble getting into reverse quickly.
    I know the feeling and it is embarrassing when I'm trying to go in reverse and a car is waiting for my ass! Is there a solution for this besides getting a 6 speed gear box?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrd671 View Post
    I know the feeling and it is embarrassing when I'm trying to go in reverse and a car is waiting for my ass! Is there a solution for this besides getting a 6 speed gear box?
    put it in 4th then reverse

Yeah, I normally do second to reverse. Just an old habit.

+1 for another gear, then reverse. Sometimes that won't even help, so put it in first to creep forward an inch or two, then into reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrd671 View Post
    Double-clutching has always worked for me when I seem locked out of reverse.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Ahhhhhh so thats why it's so hard to get into reverse sometimes lol. Sometimes I have to let go of the clutch and then press the clutch to get into reverse because it just won't go.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.