Strange Noise when Accelerating

This is a discussion on Strange Noise when Accelerating within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey, i'm new to this site and new to the Subaru and WRX scene..I just purchased an 07 WRX TR ...

Strange Noise when Accelerating

Hey, i'm new to this site and new to the Subaru and WRX scene..I just purchased an 07 WRX TR about 5 days ago..the car runs great and i love it. There are a couple mods that it has on it which is a full catback exhaust system(not sure which brandname) and it just has a short ram intake. Like i said, the car runs fine no issues or anything like that. But there is a strange noise when accelerating at lower speeds in pretty much every gear, i cannot really explain what this noise sounds like but it's kind of like a whistle..i guess? now i've read some threads and did some research and some are saying maybe its just the turbo spooling up or something like that..but i've also heard it may be a wastegate leak or an exhaust leak? The noise does happen at highway speeds also in 4th and 5th gears and its only when accelerating..when i let off the gas it will go away, i'm guessing it is something to do with the turbo and just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.. thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds like the turbo spooling to me. Is it a catback exhaust or a turboback exhaust? A lot of the time when people replace the downpipe they don't replace the heatshield and it makes the sound of the turbo much more pronounced.

Is your exhaust catless? It will also make the turbo noise more pronounced. But its also true if you dont have the heatshield like monk_knight said.

With the SRI you will hear the turbo/wastegate more. That said, this is the sort of thing that is really hard to give advice about over the internet; a video would help.

Do you have a tune to go with your intake?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"